M20 2.7i NA stroker build

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MWe
    Noobie
    • Feb 2026
    • 5

    #1

    M20 2.7i NA stroker build

    WORK IN PROGRESS

    Here's a description of the history from my project car and the build process to get the stroker running.

    Beginning 2009
    18 years old, just got my driver's license and was looking for my first car, I always had a week spot for e30's but was also considering the mercedes 190, vw corrado, Audi quatro.
    I was not very technically handy during that period but had some friends who were and a dad who's job it is to fix mechanical things, so enough support from that side to buy and fix/maintain an older car.
    Eventually decided to choose for an e30 316i, a friend had the same car and I liked how it handled.
    Looked and test drove an 316i shitbox with a worn cam first, I was pleased, but was immediately warned that it would be a financial disaster by my dad and friends.
    Later my mom found a car on the internet, a 1991 316i edition with around 190k km on the odometer, we went over there, looked at the car that had been sitting still for around 3 months, car was covered in bird shit, weeds growing underneath, brakes were stuck.
    Somehow the car started right away, only took some extra effort to get the brakes to release.
    After a few kilometers during the test drive the car started to drive as it should so at that point my dad got out and I was allowed to take the car for a test drive.
    Car seemed fine to me, so I bought the car and that was the start of this project.



    2009-2026
    316i edition m40b16

    The car I bought is an edition version, so special upholstery, sport steering wheel and the black trim above the front window but this one without the check control panel.
    Exterior colour is sterling silver with 14 inch bottle caps wheels.
    First day I had the car we discovered that an immobilizer was installed, took around a week to find this out, but during this ' problem solving' I had the opportunity to inspect everything on the car.
    During this period the car was driven daily.
    Learned to wrench and do maintenance.
    Lowered the car with some unknown springs and a mix of Koni and Billstein dampers.
    Tested a Remus sport exhaust, just made a lot of noise and and felt like probably less power.
    No major breakdowns during this time, but basically changed out every component at least once.

    Will be continued
Working...