325i track project ...kinda slow updates sometimes...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • t1502
    replied
    Originally posted by mojorising
    Great project! I'll bet it is an absolute blast to drive. I might have missed this somewhere, but what type and weight oil are you running? With the engine staying cooler, you may be able to run a thinner oil to reduce motor drag and save a little power. Has your oil pressure been within spec?
    It is a blast to drive and that is exactly what it has been built for

    I use Castol 10W-60 oil at the moment and it has worked great for the summer. Last summer I had Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 which my engine didn't like at all. Oil pressure didn't stay up and it just oozed out of every possible place, Total sh*t if you ask me...

    Been drooling one of those crank-scrapers for my engine. Just haven't found any near Finland, probably will order from the states if postage isn't too expensive.

    Leave a comment:


  • mojorising
    replied
    Great project! I'll bet it is an absolute blast to drive. I might have missed this somewhere, but what type and weight oil are you running? With the engine staying cooler, you may be able to run a thinner oil to reduce motor drag and save a little power. Has your oil pressure been within spec?

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Also air filter got some help getting cool air from outside instead of hot enginebay air...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8268.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	7115123

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    The brakes got some help cooling when I modded the original backing plates and installed ducting to them.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	7115118
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7740.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	7115119
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8262.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	7115120
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8263.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	7115121
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8270.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	7115122

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Went to the track yesterday and got to finally test the changes that I made to the cooling system. It works!!! Temp used to rise after a couple laps to 240F and now it didn't go past 210F even after 12 laps! :D

    Got some other things done too. I'll post a few pics of these doings...

    Painted the trunk lid...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7556.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	7115115

    ...these little grilles...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7557.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	7115116

    and the door mirrors.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7558.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	7115117

    Couldn't get a good picture where you could clearly see the paint finish, but though it's fine for my project, I can tell you it's far from perfect.

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric
    I just picked up one of these from the junk yard. I was thinking of fabbing something like this up out of aluminum, but this was free and looks like it will work well!
    If you make one out of aluminum, please post some pics. Interested in seeing how it turns out.

    My plan was making one out of glassfiber, but that has to be later project. Weight savings compared to orginal plastic one is next to nothing, the plastic thingy doesn't weigh a thing... But hey, it's nice to do something just for the fun of it, right? :D

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric
    replied
    Originally posted by t1502
    Also installed the air intake tube that I had to eliminate earlier to make room for the Ni*san electric fan infront of the radiator.
    [ATTACH]20661[/ATTACH]
    I just picked up one of these from the junk yard. I was thinking of fabbing something like this up out of aluminum, but this was free and looks like it will work well!

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Hopefully got the cooling issue sorted now. Ni*san electric fan that I had mounted in front of the radiator got kicked from this project and a Spal unit found it's way to the enginebay.
    While the radiator was off, I flushed the system. No surprises there, everything that came out was clear as it should be :)

    Also installed the air intake tube that I had to eliminate earlier to make room for the Ni*san electric fan infront of the radiator.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	funnel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	7114613

    Design sure is different, hopefully cooling power also...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT5688.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	7114610

    Still got 18mm cleareance :D
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT5689.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	7114611

    Enginebay in it's current state. Lots of things to do... :???:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT5691.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	7114612

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Here is the latest short video from mondays track session. I was able to whip 4 seconds off my previous lap record it being 1:38,9 and now it's 1:34,9 :D

    The lap on the video is about 1:35.

    Suspension was modified -> stiffer and lower and tires were changed to Toyo R888 225/45R15. Ran into some issues also that have to be dealt with before next track session... temperature outside was 27degrees celsius(81F) and I was clearly having trouble with cooling. Temp gauge was knocking 240F so I had to back off after 3 fast laps to cool it down.

    Also my right rear tire (is this even possible to get so different traction left or right?) doesn't seem to get the traction it needs on couple of the corners, rear end feels a bit lively all around or bouncy would be more accurate. Have to think about options for these over night...

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric
    replied
    that's hot

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Thanks, nice to hear someone else besides me likes the sound of M20 when pushed around the track :D

    Last pic before going to the track in the morning.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7423.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	7114553

    Tomorrow morning 8am heading to Ahvenisto to get some new video with faster laptimes hopefully...

    Leave a comment:


  • ikkitousen
    replied
    Originally posted by t1502
    Short video of a lap around Ahvenisto race track with my project. At this stage only suspension mod was lowering springs. Tires are 205/45R16 Hankook K104´s.
    Awesome vid man. Car sounds fantastic! Keep it up brother!

    ----------------------------------------------
    DAMN IM JEALOUS!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Short video of a lap around Ahvenisto race track with my project. At this stage only suspension mod was lowering springs. Tires are 205/45R16 Hankook K104´s.

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Small updates: Suspension mods are now installed and so are the new Toyo R888 tires with some old 15" wheels I had from earlier stages of the car.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	7114544

    Took it for a very short spin around the garage and it felt absolutely great! Initial thoughts that it could be couple of seconds faster per lap than used to be ...happy with that! :D

    I have the next monday off, so planning to put a day off in a good use and head to the track to see if it really is faster than a month ago

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Originally posted by Jean
    Great project! I see your oem tank was removed, did you replace it with a fuel cell or?

    Curious if you didn't, and were you able to re-install oem tank with the subframe installed.
    I replaced oem tank with a 12gal drag race fuel cell from Jaz, not ideal for my purpose but happened to have laying around.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	jaz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	7114432

    Now a little break from cars and onto celebrating midsummer :up::drink:

    Leave a comment:

Working...