325i track project ...kinda slow updates sometimes...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jean
    replied
    Great project! I see your oem tank was removed, did you replace it with a fuel cell or?

    Curious if you didn't, and were you able to re-install oem tank with the subframe installed.

    Leave a comment:


  • asubimmer
    replied
    thanks for the pics and its good to know about the front and the fenders

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    asubimmer: some more pics for you're project. These bumpers that I got, were on one of the E30's that I took apart. They don't seem to stretch enough to fit the M3 fenders, or at least have to be modded to accept the wider fender? Also mine are in pretty bad shape, cracked in many places. Next winters project to fix these and get them repainted.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	rearbumper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	7114429
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bumpersi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	7114428
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bumperis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	7114427

    And dash pics from where I cut the E36 coupe dash to fit the rollcage. Needs much more work if you want to have something to show around.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	dashcut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	7114430
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dashcut2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	7114431

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Some updates... Finished the suspension work and the car is back on it's wheels ...wheels with winter tires on them that is, sold the ones I had in the earlier pictures. New tires are in denmark according to the tracking system so next week they should be here.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	rearspring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	7114425
    ~627lbs rearspring

    Click image for larger version

Name:	studless.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	7114424
    Studless winter tires

    Also while crawling underneath the car I found a new oil leak. This time probably the transmission front seal?!? Normal place to get a leak from? Engine is dry and trans was dry when I took it for a spin last time...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	transleak.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	7114426

    Leave a comment:


  • ikkitousen
    replied
    Sorry to hear about the set backs man, Keep at it though!
    Looking gooooood soo far!

    ------------------------------------------------------------
    DAMN NICE!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Originally posted by mojorising
    Very cool project. I probably would have gone with a box tube on the lateral part of the LCA, it is better suited to handle the bending loads introduced by the rear link. The adjustability is cool as hell though. The double shear on the rear joint is a plus, I noticed the AKG kit only has a single shear rod end there. Keep up the good work man, and keep the pictures coming. Any ideas on improving the rear suspension? I have been contemplating a SLA setup with a custom subframe in the rear myself but getting everything to fit would be tricky.
    It's nice to have some strenght in the LCA, have to look into that possibility, boxtube might even be easier to execute than the one I have now?

    SLA is too complicated for me to do at this point. For now my plans are to explore couple of pictures of old E30 DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters) M3 racecars subframe and suspension setup to see if there is something that serves my needs (and of something I could even fabricate myself ;)) Just seemes if you want to do some particular mod, it can't be done alone because it affects lots of other things (snowballing is it called?)

    Would be really cool to do such a mod though, SLA I mean.

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    downernsp: I do as much as I can of the work seen in these pictures. Can't do any machining or tig -welding yet, just don't have the equipment. Been focusing on functionality for now, it's good practise for fabrication skills to do these things rather than not doing anything "because I can't weld" or some reason like that (I was pretty good at this for a few years... :???:). Before this project I had welded last time almost 13 years ago in shop class. When I'm skilled enough and have found a working setup for my driving needs, I'll concentrate more on better quality and looks if possible.

    Anyway, this is a picture of a car that has been a goal for my project.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	etupaa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	7114410
    I'd say that at this pace I'm pretty far from this outcome right now, but hey, I'm in no hurry :D This car (2,7L NA ~270bhp) runs Ahvenisto circuit 11s per lap faster times on street tires than I do. I'm aiming to improve my time about 3 seconds this summer

    Click image for larger version

Name:	dynosheet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	7114411
    This is where I'm now with the engine, near stock.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	oilpan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	7114412
    I was testing the car in the garage neighborhood and the oilpan took a hit from a nice size stone and started leaking. Friend of mine fortunately has the skills and the equipment to do aluminium welding so got that reinforced.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	7114413
    Didn't take more than a week to get another oil leak. This time the almost new oil pressure sensor gave up and leaked all the straight through it! NOT original part ...should've known better...

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Sorry asubimmer, thought I had more pics of the dash install and bumpers but only have these. None of the bumpers... I'll take a couple of pictures of the bumpers when I go to the garage, maybe tomorrow. Any particular part of the bumpers you want pictures taken? They're poo quality fiberglass bumpers and cracked in several places... :(

    Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	7114405
    Dash sits on these and is secured with two screws

    Click image for larger version

Name:	dash2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	7114406
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dash3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	7114407

    Managed to find picture of the starting point for my project... sad, isn't it?

    Click image for larger version

Name:	318i.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	7114408
    This "beauty" had been rusting away here for over a year before I got it.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	grille.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	7114409
    Before winter it was in my garage with a roll cage in it, put on a "grille"(what do you call this thing?) and pretty much stripped of everything.

    Leave a comment:


  • mojorising
    replied
    Very cool project. I probably would have gone with a box tube on the lateral part of the LCA, it is better suited to handle the bending loads introduced by the rear link. The adjustability is cool as hell though. The double shear on the rear joint is a plus, I noticed the AKG kit only has a single shear rod end there. Keep up the good work man, and keep the pictures coming. Any ideas on improving the rear suspension? I have been contemplating a SLA setup with a custom subframe in the rear myself but getting everything to fit would be tricky.

    Leave a comment:


  • downernsp
    replied
    Nice work, are you dooing it all your self? the front adjustable control arms are like the one's AKG make keep us posted.

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	co.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	7114399
    This is what I worked on last night

    Originally posted by mojorising
    So whats the deal with the LCA? Is that just a jig you are putting together or is that the actual piece. I only ask cause it looks a little scrawny.... What size rod-ends are those, they look about 3/8in or 10mm.
    Had to look up the word scrawny ...sorry I'm finnish and don't have to use english too often... :D

    Fitting in that picture is done to see if everything clears ok and to check adequate castor and camber adjustments. The bolts and mount for the stabilizers connecting end are the only things that have changed from this picture.
    Rod ends are 1/2" on the rod connecting where the "lollipop" used to be and should be (at least they haven't broken on me yet ;)) more than capable taking the beating they need to. Rod end replacing the inner ball joint is 5/8" and outer ball joint is from a new Mini.
    The point in making this kind of change is mainly the fun of it. I also get really easy camber and castor adjustments and raised mounting points compared to a ball joint. Rear mounting point is also adjustable which should make a difference in the cars "anti-dive" characteristics, though I haven't been able to test this one yet. Made a big difference in the track I use for testing and reference to adjust castor to M3 Evo specs. Frontwheels moved about 15mm forward.

    Please feel free to correct if something I said doesn't make sense, these modifications are gathered from around the web and simple reasoning. This is my first bigger project and for the fun of just doing these mods I like to try to see do they make a difference. Slow testing though, I'm usually going to the track only 4-5 times a summer... :???:

    Originally posted by asubimmer
    You have anymore pics of the dash? I really like it and need something for the track car. And like you my e30 dash is too nice to cut up.

    Also more pics of the front bumper would be nice. I was thinking about using the same one for my car to match the m3 fenders.
    asubimmer, I'll post some pics here today after work.

    Leave a comment:


  • asubimmer
    replied
    You have anymore pics of the dash? I really like it and need something for the track car. And like you my e30 dash is too nice to cut up.

    Also more pics of the front bumper would be nice. I was thinking about using the same one for my car to match the m3 fenders.

    Leave a comment:


  • mojorising
    replied
    So whats the deal with the LCA? Is that just a jig you are putting together or is that the actual piece. I only ask cause it looks a little scrawny.... What size rod-ends are those, they look about 3/8in or 10mm.

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	support.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	7114378
    Modifying the beam that goes under the engine for the new front control arms.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	support2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	7114379
    Painted beam

    Click image for larger version

Name:	ca.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	7114380
    Front control arm in the making

    Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	7114381
    Sorry about the flash making the pisture look weird, but you get the idea. Dash as it is today. E36 dash installed because I didn't want to cut up my orginal dash...

    Leave a comment:


  • t1502
    replied
    More pictures along the way starting with the oldest.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	below.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	7114373
    Body is attached to a "grill". Here test fitting everything.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	piston.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	7114375
    Deeper pockets had to be made to the pistons as the new Enem Z58 cam has a bit more lift. Now clearance is 1,6mm.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	tool.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	7114376
    Caveman tools used to deepen the valve pockets :D

    Click image for larger version

Name:	eng_inst.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	7114374
    Rebuilt M20B25 going back to engine bay, actually the first time in this body.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	lever.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	7114377
    Upper is original 325i lever that gave room to Z3M lever.

    Leave a comment:

Working...