No announcement yet.

Long term non BMW project teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting her ready for a new season. First event of 2013 is this weekend at NJMP.
    • Replaced all the rear suspension arms and bushings.
    • Fresh Yoko R-comps. This time I'm trying the Medium compound.
    • Had a second set of R129/Evo I wheels refurbished.
    • New Toyo R1R summer tires for wet track use.
    • Fresh Brad Penn PG-1 20w-50 for the crankcase. Wix filter element.
    • Flushed the trans with Amsoil MTG 75w-90.
    • Flushed the diff with Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140.
    • Flushed the brakes with Wilwood 570.
    • New Carbotech race pads.
    • Another 4-wheel alignment

Ready to go!
    sigpic
    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
    2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Can't wait to get her on the track this weekend.
      sigpic
      New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
      %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Any vids by chance? Love the project, it's so hard finding videos of these things in action compared to the E30 M3.
        sigpic

Always chasin'

Comment

How do you like the steering box in a track vs a steering rack?
          Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Originally posted by canakami View Post
            Any vids by chance? Love the project, it's so hard finding videos of these things in action compared to the E30 M3.
            I've got a bunch of GoPro footage, but I've never gotten around to editing them and posting clips. I'm pretty much a total n00b when it comes to video software. I'm just learning the basics of Apple's iMovie.

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
            How do you like the steering box in a track vs a steering rack?
            I honestly don't feel a significant difference. It's not like an E28 where you have a huge dead spot in the middle. Even though it's a box, it still gives plenty of feedback and basically zero slop.

It also helps that we're running a significant amount of castor and negative camber (-3.5 to -4.0 degrees) up front. We also deleted the steering damper, which artificially softens the steering. If there's a difference in feel between old Mercs and old Bimmers, it's mostly down to the steering damper.

You don't have a tremendous amount of feedback when the wheel is perfectly straight, but as soon as you dial in even the tiniest amount of steering lock and the suspension loads up, you get plenty of feel.
            sigpic

Comment

Accessorizing

Ok, so I know this is cheesy, but I couldn't help myself.

I wanted a large, vintage-style, mechanical watch to go with the project car. I was looking for a 44mm German aviator-style watch with big, easy-to-read numerals. And, of course, it would have to go with the blauschwarz & GT3 RS orange color scheme of the car.

I finally found what I was looking for with the Seagull M222S. For some reason, it looks very yellow in this pic, but it's more orange in real life:

Pretty good match to the car, right?

Those of you who are watch nerds probably know the Seagull brand. They make a very high-quality movement, which is a copy of the classic Swiss ETA/Unitas 6497. Sapphire crystal, exhibition case, thick leather strap, etc.

For under $300 shipped, it was a real bargain.
              Last edited by Emre; 03-28-2013, 06:22 PM. Reason: pics added
              sigpic

Comment

Sweet
                sigpic
                New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Track update from March 2013 - PART 1

Last month I took the car out for it's first track day of the season: an invitational open lapping day at NJMP--Thunderbolt known as Jeffapalooza. This season, I'm running a stickier tire compound and we made some changes to the alignment. We'd use this day to fine-tune the car's handling.

Driving to the circuit from Manhattan, I caught up to the mothership: the GPS Motorsports trailer:

I arrived too late to get a spot in the covered paddocks. Considering my car has no HVAC system and temps were in the freezing range, this wasn't going to be fun! Lots of interesting cars:

On the left, you can see an E30 sporting the GPS Motorsports livery:

After unloading the car, enjoying a cigar (Padron 1964 Anniversary), and catching up with some buddies, I made a midnight fuel run. The only open place I could find was a Wawa's ... Philadelphia and south Jersey folks will understand the joy:

Then it was back to the track for some rest. Rented a track-side suite for very reasonable cost. The hot shower and warm bed was welcome.
                  sigpic

Comment

Track update from March 2013 - PART 2

Well, we didn't get very lucky with the weather. The day started off dry (for the most part) and overcast, but very cold. I wasn't going to get very useful data from the day as planned: it was just too cold to really optimize the suspension.

Still, we had fun. And despite the cold temps, the car had tons of grip. Handling was much more neutral than before. Looks like the new alignment settings made a world of difference:

Inevitably, it got wet. A cold rain started to fall and it turned a bit slushy:

I was really shocked at how controllable the car was under such adverse conditions. Can't wait to take it out in the dry!
                    sigpic

Comment

is that snow.. in late april? :shock:

E46t

Comment

It was mid-March and it was just very cold rain, bordering on sleet.
                        On the drive home, it snowed like crazy. Epic snow and hail storm.
                        sigpic

Comment

No idea how I never saw this thread. This is pretty badass.

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                            It was mid-March and it was just very cold rain, bordering on sleet.
                            On the drive home, it snowed like crazy. Epic snow and hail storm.
                            whoops.. didn't catch the title of the posts. yes, i remember the inclement weather we had in march.

E46t

Comment

Awesome to see you getting to use that car the way she was MEANT to be used!
                              Originally posted by LJ851
                              kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                              ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                              #teamross
                              Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

love your car, got a weak spot for benz's

Comment

Working...
                                X