Long term non BMW project teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emre View Post
    Sure, why not? It's worth it for Tremblant.
    haha, i forgot how close everything is to eachother on the east coast. living in ca, it takes 7hrs from sf to la.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by red911turbo View Post
      Is there a reason you didn't go with sl/500e brakes? The larger than the 400e/late e320 brakes and still fit under the wheels you are running!!
      The early 500e calipers (Brembos) were impossible to find. The common Ate calipers for the 500SL/500e are unnecessarily bigger and heavier. Piston sizes are bigger, which means a softer pedal. And the 400e brakes are plenty big for the car as it stands. If I need any bigger, I'll go with real race stuff from Alcon, AP, Wilwood, etc.

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
      Is that a byzanz color e36 m3 chasing you?
      Yes. The car belongs to an instructor from Ottawa.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
      haha, i forgot how close everything is to eachother on the east coast. living in ca, it takes 7hrs from sf to la.
      NYC to Montreal is about 375 miles door-to-door, but Tremblant is at least another 80 miles boyond that. With weekend traffic, highway construction, border crossing, etc., it took about 10 hours.
      sigpic
      1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
      2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

The early 500e calipers (Brembos) were impossible to find. The common Ate calipers for the 500SL/500e are unnecessarily bigger and heavier. Piston sizes are bigger, which means a softer pedal. And the 400e brakes are plenty big for the car as it stands. If I need any bigger, I'll go with real race stuff from Alcon, AP, Wilwood, etc.

Yes. The car belongs to an instructor from Ottawa.

NYC to Montreal is about 375 miles door-to-door, but Tremblant is at least another 80 miles boyond that. With weekend traffic, highway construction, border crossing, etc., it took about 10 hours.
        Still, It blows my mind how you all can cross so many states in such little distances.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
          Still, It blows my mind how you all can cross so many states in such little distances.
          Well it helps that we don't have 3 states covering the WHOLE coast lol. I remember when I went to Montana I had to opposite feeling, I was like, "2 hours to get to the next town? Thats the time it takes to get to the next state in Georgia!"
          "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

Can't remember if you discussed this already (and I am too lazy to backread), but are you planning on keeping the m102 16v motor, or swapping to something else (like m104 3.2/3.6/etc)?
            e92 M3
            e30 M3 s52 swap
            w203 C240 wagon (DD)
            190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

If I need any bigger, I'll go with real race stuff from Alcon, AP, Wilwood, etc.
              or just get lee to make you something custom
              '12 F30 328i Sport Line
              '91 SpecE30 #523
              '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by kishg View Post
                or just get lee to make you something custom
                I asked him on a local Montreal-area forum and he didn't seem too interested. But if he put together a kit using radial-mount Wilwood SL6R calipers, I'd be all over it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FLYNAVY View Post
                  Can't remember if you discussed this already (and I am too lazy to backread), but are you planning on keeping the m102 16v motor, or swapping to something else (like m104 3.2/3.6/etc)?
                  For me, the twin-cam M102 is the whole point of the car. It would be crazy to swap it out for anything else. The plan is to build up the engine in stages, starting with cams, ITB's, and modern EFI. Eventually, the plan is to move up to a full 2.5L build.

But there are more pressing issues to deal with first, including sorting the suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, and rear differential. Then I'll be focusing on safety gear (full cage, seats, harnesses) and weight loss. Only after all the basics are in order will we start tearing into the engine.
                  sigpic

Comment

Another build project that completely flew under my radar. I obviously do not spend enough time in the projects forum.

I've always been a huge fan of the 190e's so I'm excited to see where this goes.

As always, I demand more pics!

Comment

Guten Miester, here's some for $700. Reputable seller on 190rev as well...

Celebrate all things related to the Mercedes Benz W201 cars.
                      e92 M3
                      e30 M3 s52 swap
                      w203 C240 wagon (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by FLYNAVY View Post
                        Guten Miester, here's some for $700. Reputable seller on 190rev as well...
                        Believe it or not, I just found that thread and posted just a few minutes ago. Hope I didn't miss the boat.
                        sigpic

Comment

For me, the twin-cam M102 is the whole point of the car. It would be crazy to swap it out for anything else. The plan is to build up the engine in stages, starting with cams, ITB's, and modern EFI. Eventually, the plan is to move up to a full 2.5L build.

But there are more pressing issues to deal with first, including sorting the suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, and rear differential. Then I'll be focusing on safety gear (full cage, seats, harnesses) and weight loss. Only after all the basics are in order will we start tearing into the engine.
                          Fair enough, will be pretty cool in 2.3 or 2.5 16v form as well. There may be a few AMG powerpack kits still out there in Germany or greater Europe if you scour around the right places. Pretty hefty outputs (relatively speaking) from the Evo's equipped with that option.
                          e92 M3
                          e30 M3 s52 swap
                          w203 C240 wagon (DD)

Comment

so I was at cars and coffee yesterday and I ran into an old friend.
                            he owns a e36 m3.
                            He was with his friend who has a perticular benz that some of you are fond of.

-
                            Project
                            Parts for Sale
                            Feedback
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

thats a nice line up.
                              sigpic
                              New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                              %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                                thats a nice line up.
                                it is. I've never seen a white 190e

Comment

Working...
                                X