No announcement yet.

Sterling Silber M-technic Cabriolet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you notice any improvements in ride after installing the hardtop? Did the chassis seem stiffer at all?
    harry/harout

Comment

loving every bit of it man, interior looks great!

Comment

new background

-
        Project
        Parts for Sale
        Feedback
        YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by bmw325csi View Post
          Did you notice any improvements in ride after installing the hardtop? Did the chassis seem stiffer at all?
          The hardtop stiffens the chassis some, but not in comparison to my sedan.
          sigpic
          January 2012 COTM

Comment

A black interieur.. isn´t that ULTRA rare in the states ??
            Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
            ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
            E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

I swear I look into this thread to torture myself.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by bmw325csi View Post
                the hardtop is fiberglass, i dont think it's going to stiffen the chassis any.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  the hardtop is fiberglass, i dont think it's going to stiffen the chassis any.
                  Ah yes it will not drastically but it will just like the cardboard box scenario. Mine has less squeaks with hardtop on it.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Not much progress, or driving for that matter, in the last year. But I did find an original leather rear seat top without any tears or split seams. As you can see in the pic, it matches well with the original m-tech seat bottom, condition-wise.

If you look closely, you can see that the m-tech bottom and non-mtech top have slightly different stitching down the center, however.

Also, the non-mtech has sturdier leather and stitching, which is probably one of the reasons why it's in much better shape than the original m-tech rear seat top that came with the car.

Now that the interior is complete, the suspension fresh, and it runs well, I can start thinking about body and paint work.
                    Last edited by robrez; 09-12-2017, 02:42 PM.
                    sigpic
                    January 2012 COTM

Comment

nice save on this piece!!

Just curious but why did you ditch the Alpina rims?? Or is that the set on the black car?
                      '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Nice catch. The M tech rear seat back, the center portion is M3 style. Looks like the sides flare out a bit more too. I would reupholster it instead of using a stock iC rear seatback.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                          nice save on this piece!!

Just curious but why did you ditch the Alpina rims?? Or is that the set on the black car?
                          Yes, the Alpinas are the the sedan currently. I just refinished a set of 16 x 7.5 Borbet Bs, just not sure which car will get which set of wheels.

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          Nice catch. The M tech rear seat back, the center portion is M3 style. Looks like the sides flare out a bit more too. I would reupholster it instead of using a stock iC rear seatback.
                          In the pictures, it does look like the M-tech's side bolsters flare out more, but it might just be an optical illusion. I'll check them side by side. Eventually, I'll get the front and rear seats reupholstered, but the time being, the interior is done.
                          sigpic
                          January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                            That center portion is very likely a repair job. My m-technic (S771A) has the normal leather styling in the center section.
                            The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

the mtech seat has been repaired and yes you are correct the stitching is different and much better looking on the mtech.

the bolster dont flare any more than a stock car. they have the same foam underneath. the leather may be dryer causing it to flex or look different.

Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment

More seat info. I miraculously found an original, un-torn mtech rear seat (top portion). The only problem is that it's white, so I'll need to dye it to match my black bottom portion. In the pics below, you can see the difference in stitching between mtech vert seats and regular vert seats. Someone above, said the foam underneat is the same for mtech and non-mtech seats, though the stitching pattern makes them look a little different.

I had a Blaupunkt head unit, four channel amp, and powered subwoofer from prior stereo installs, so I threw them all into the cabrio. They work pretty well together.

I also bought a Mason Engineering cross brace, but my long tube Bavauto headers get in the way :sad:
                                Last edited by robrez; 09-12-2017, 02:44 PM.
                                sigpic
                                January 2012 COTM

Comment

Working...
                                X