Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malik's 87 325is build (DAILY DRIFT E30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FunfGan
    replied
    Wow. Never realized how horrible the chrome looked on db cars, great work!

Leave a comment:

• dnick
    replied
    hahaha because newspapercar

Leave a comment:

• mRodiek
    replied
    Soo much better, I did the shadowline as well, what did you use to do it?

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome trim off.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	7136464

Name:	chrome trim on:off.jpg
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	7136465

And the trim finally painted

Name:	chrome trim all done.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	7136466

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    So i havnt been making to many updates. Ive been saving money for some much better parts to be ordered.
    In the meanwhile though, ive had a few small things ive wanted to do. So i felt like replacing the crank case ventilation hose. The one on the car is hard, crusty and had some signs of leaking. I got a nice new hose and looked inside the both. the old one was groossss

Name:	crank case breather tube dirty.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	7136459

Name:	crank case clean tube.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	7136460

I also started a project my car desperately needed done. Getting rid of the chrome trim. It took a while but i finished it after about a week of lazily doing it.

Name:	chrome trim right side taped.jpg
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	7136461

Name:	front bumper trim paint.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	7136462

Name:	news paper painted.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	7136463

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Dumped some Chevron fuel system cleaner in the tank. Then ordered some replacement vacuum hoses/oil filters from blunt, and got some oil from autozone.
    Vanilla air freshener? sure come along for the ride

Leave a comment:

• bmwstudent
    replied
    havent ordered anything yet i just sent my driveshaft out for rebuild when i get it back ill order everything up. I'm going with the cups though.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
    Thanks for the heads up I'm going with the akg poly motor mounts. That extra stud on your strut tower was originally for a bracket for grounds. Some cars had them some did not, but as long as you still have all the ground wires in place you should be ok. My car has it my brothers does not.
    Haha. thats weird. i literally just sent this guy kershaw a pm about it. we thought the PO had it welded on. then I saw in someones pic they had one also. confusing. so you are correct.they were just in some cars and not in others.

And niice. Youre gonna like the vibrations from that set up. Its really smooth. And you cant go wrong staying OEM whenever possible. at least thats what I think. oh and make sure u keep the heat shield on the passenger side motor mount. I dont know if its JUST turbo m20's but ive heard polyurethane can melt from exhaust heat if no heat shield. post pics of the install!

as soon as you start the car youll notice the motor slightly stiffer and when u go to drive shifts are smooth as butter. I love it. Did you go with the aluminum cups from AKG? theyre really optional but i think they will prolong the life of the bushing. it keeps it from squishing with the weight of the tranny. and it looks sweet
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 10-12-2011, 12:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bmwstudent
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up I'm going with the akg poly motor mounts. That extra stud on your strut tower was originally for a bracket for grounds. Some cars had them some did not, but as long as you still have all the ground wires in place you should be ok. My car has it my brothers does not.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by mRodiek View Post
    Yeah turns out my motor mounts & strut mounts look exactly the same as yours, damnt.

I picked up IE motor/trans mounts though, we'll see how they work
    Yea i was told its common for motor mounts to fail that way. I wish I woulda noticed when I first got the car in april. When i would drop down my tranny and go to mount it back up id have to push soo hard to the passenger side with the mounting bracket for it to line up proper. Im happier knowing everything is in line now.
    return the IE trans mounts and get E21 tranny mounts. Join the crew of believers!haha

OH and this is off topic but i watch this video probably 3-8 times a week and had to put it on here.haha ive just watched it twice in a row. talk about drift swag!lol

http://inertia-ms.com/ Filmed and Edited by Stewy Bryant .sound - Caribou: Found Out check out the Youtube channel for raw footage: http://www.youtube.com/user/inertiaMS This…
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mRodiek
    replied
    Yeah turns out my motor mounts & strut mounts look exactly the same as yours, damnt.

I picked up IE motor/trans mounts though, we'll see how they work

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Free (somewhat questionable) Strut Brace

So I got rid of the cross brace I had. Im still waiting to get paid to ship this damn thing off. I didnt like how much flex I could feel in the front tho without it. I liked the cross brace for backroads, but it made staying sideways and switchbacks really wild and twitchy. So i drove to a guys house I met through the Colege Park, starbucks meets and he had a free strut brace. It was home made by someone, and looked sketchy. We installed it around 7pm anyway.

When going to put it on we noticed there were 4 studs on the passenger side. So we got out Kershaws angle grinder, my first time using one of these GREAT tools and cut it all down.
    Here you can see whats left of some silly ground someone welded to the top of the strut. I have no clue why it was there.

Name:	notch in the way.jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	7135969

Name:	grinding off.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	7135970

and here is the bar this morning. Its kind of a sketchy front strut bar but I took this one turn on the way home. Its a long sweeping 80mph turn. I can usually punch it at the apex and be going 95-100 by the exit. Now most people say you can not feel a difference. But the car felt solid, solid enough up front I felt like wiggling the wheel midway through the turn and not only did the car not LEAN and WOBBLE as much, when i wiggled there wasnt as much of a delay from swaying of the front.

I also took a U turn at a spot I usually do for a little 2nd gear drift u turn and with the strut brace the front didnt flex and lean as much, which translated in the back end skidding out sooner. It took me by surprise so i quickly counter steered and smiled. I hear ppl say these things are placebo but I noticed immediate changes by taking the same turns and feeling differences in how the car reacted. Is that Placebo?? I was more surprised that I didnt even have to clutch kick at the u turn to get the back to snap around the median. It just did it when i flicked the back and hit the gas hard enough!

Name:	strut bar for free.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	7135971

This is my first strut bracing on any car so Im happy with it. Cant wait till the rear bar gets in. And I will be buying the IE bar as soon as I can. This one doesnt look to great and i just saw it touches the top of the motor. Barely but it touches. It also has a flimsy base. The base on both sides is curved up where the bolts arent, which tells me this thing flexes considerably where it shouldnt. But hey! it was free and will be temporary. Thanks Kershaw for helping out! When I am done with it I will pass the bar onto someone else free of charge!
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 10-10-2011, 09:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by mRodiek View Post
    Agreed.

I just did my motor mounts & doing my tranny mounts tomorrow, I hope not to run into so many problems! lol
    soooo many problems.haha but as you saw in my pics, my motor was practically falling off.

The most annoying part of the tranny mounts for me was just finding out I had to grind metal away from the transmission slots. It turned out to be worth it tho. Shifts are super solid and I like the vibrations.

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
    hey rolling king if you need more welding, give me a pm. I weld for a living and would do that job for free because i love e30's and I'm going with those e21 tranny mounts you recommended. Plus I'm a nice guy
    Niice. Theyre so much cheaper. Definitely do poly motor mounts tho. I was worried about getting poly tranny mounts and after installing the e21's with caps i dont think I would have liked anything vibrating any more. Cause with the radio off it makes noise. When I called Andy at AKG, he said if i got poly tranny mounts dont plan on hearing the radio anymore.haha

but bmwstudent- take your time making the mounts fit the tranny. The angles are kinda tough but the bit will work. Just be patient, and test fit so you dont take out too much metal. And you want to make sure it can slide to the back of the tranny notches nicely. Oh and you have to buy the nuts. I just went to Lowes. But remember, for the bottom of the bracket you dont want the nuts I have on the top of the tranny mounts. They wont fit in between the bracket. just keep that in mind. What kinda motor mounts did you go with?

Leave a comment:

• mRodiek
    replied
    Originally posted by F34R View Post
    I like the flush fit of the wheels but the inner gap from how narrow the wheels are makes it look funny. I vote for wider wheels to be honest, 16x8 of sorts.

Over all you are doing a swell job =)
    Agreed.

I just did my motor mounts & doing my tranny mounts tomorrow, I hope not to run into so many problems! lol

Leave a comment:

• bmwstudent
    replied
    hey rolling king if you need more welding, give me a pm. I weld for a living and would do that job for free because i love e30's and I'm going with those e21 tranny mounts you recommended. Plus I'm a nice guy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X