Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malik's 87 325is build (DAILY DRIFT E30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by F34R View Post
    I like the flush fit of the wheels but the inner gap from how narrow the wheels are makes it look funny. I vote for wider wheels to be honest, 16x8 of sorts.

Over all you are doing a swell job =)
    I know right. I need it more wide. I have bulky tires but not wide rims. so i think your right, I need some 16x8 or 9's if those are out there. I havnt even looked yet tho. I would definitely prefer 16x8 for better performance, stance, and less fender gap but these came with the car so im going to rock em till they break. plus theyre only 13lbs. i wish they came with the 15x8 TRM's so i could at least have something more valuable to sell. no one really wants 15x7's lol

Thanks for stoppin by the build thread and commenting. I may have some pics soon. my friend is trying to do a little photo shoot of our cars.haha

Leave a comment:

• F34R
    replied
    I like the flush fit of the wheels but the inner gap from how narrow the wheels are makes it look funny. I vote for wider wheels to be honest, 16x8 of sorts.

Over all you are doing a swell job =)

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Rear Wheel Spacers contd.....

And the rest of the pics
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0187.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	7135907

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	7135908

Name:	IMAG0189.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	7135909

Name:	IMAG0188.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	7135910

overall im happy with the products..good quality and good prices. $70 for both spacers and $54 for lug studs. I got 80mm studs in the back and 57mm's for the front. Ill repost stance pics once I have coil overs, front spacers and rolled fenders. right now tho it makes my TRM 15x7's on hr sports sit more proper!
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 10-08-2011, 08:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Rear Wheel Spacers

So I got my lug bolts in the mail friday when i got home. It worked out nice cause my spacers had already arrived. Me and a friend jacked up the car and got to installing the 80mm rear lug studs asap. Used the double nut technique to tighten em in the hub good-n-tight. Its a straight forward install that only took 30min. I ordered the wheel spacers from a forum member AND the lug stud adapters from another forum member. Thanks kaliboy and ejnight!

20mm 4x100 hub-centric quality pieces. I cant wait to order 10mm's for the front. ejnight just has to make em. and those are also hub-centric

Name:	IMAG0182.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	7135902

Blue loctited and tightened down. spacer looks like it will push things out nicely

Name:	IMAG0184.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	7135903

before

Name:	imagejpeg_2_4.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	7135904
    After

Name:	imagejpeg_2_3.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	7135905

Name:	IMAG0186.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	7135906
    I was thinking about getting black lug studs but im happy with the chrome pieces. looks nice rollin my friend said. I need the nice hardware up front now!

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    getting a job again has been awesome. i will be able to slowly add things to the car soon. got a few goodies coming in. and believe it or not theyre appearance mods. well kinda. to me their more like convenience
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 10-08-2011, 07:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by MattAvino View Post
    Would you like to buy the motor from my 87is?
    how many miles again? it does look pretty clean from the outside and i am looking for one. how much are u asking?

I just checked your thread again and for the 1st time realized we got the same sways. sweeeet.haha
    only thing is they dont work with a cross brace. but thats okay. cause that model brace aso doesnt work with treehouse racing lollipops. I just traded it for money and a rear strut bar just now! im very happy. and i just got a front strut brace FO FREE!

but u got a new "canvas" to work with i see. hows that one coming along?
    maryland/virginia are has soo many e30's for sale and the best part is they have next to no rust. i made myself wait till i came down here till i got a new car
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 10-03-2011, 12:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MattAvino
    replied
    Would you like to buy the motor from my 87is?

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    So im roaming around last night looking for some more driving spots i decided to give this one road another try. Last time i was there was during the day and it has really really bad bumpy patches in the one lane. I stopped going during the day and made it a night spot cause u really have to cross the double yellows at some spots to take the turn. Otherwise u hit crazy bumps and tires loose traction. scary. So i felt like driving last night, went there and they repaved the twisty section!!!! made me smile and push the car even harder. good times. well anyway, i made a u turn at one development and what do i see in front of me!??

another bronzit e30 in a driveway. except this one doesnt have plates or anything on it. Im going to go check it out now. maybe the owner is cool and has parts for cheap!

I always run into ppl or end up meeting friends in the most random ways.lol here goes nothing

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    How do i put a youtube video on here???

Also i went to the yard again yesterday and a 325 vert had just arrived. I asked the guy how much for the m20 and he said $500. I laughed, said its only an m20 and he was like yea 500. How do i tell them thats a joke. cause if i could build the turbo off that it would cut down my down time by a lot! this is my one and only DD
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 10-10-2011, 10:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    I forgot to post updates on the car. im messin with something almost every day.lol

nothing major. no pics either. sry

1. im selling my race skids cross brace. ive decided to keep my suspension techniques sways and get front and rear strut bars in a couple weeks. After that a roll cage and coils should be fine

2. i went to the JY and there was a 325 convertible that had JUST got there. took all the change out the ash tray. about $4 in quaters.:nice: and i found a hazard button and a fog light button. the hazards on my car only turned on the right signal.haha and the fog light button was missing the face of the button. popped em out and the guy was like dont worry its yours. now i need the rear fog button..forgot.lol

3. I tried finding what exactly is supposed to hold my battery down. Got the long ass screw and little metal piece from the JY but it wouldnt screw into anything. I pulled out the battery tray and the piece its supposed to screw into was in the bottom of the trunk, rusted so bad the threads were all flush. So now i have to find some kind of piece for the long screw to feed into.

**oh and my oil light came on today. at my last oil change i filled it about half way between the 2 dots. I guess it filled every part of the motor (finally?) and when i checked the level it was towards the bottom line. I topped it off and the oil light went off. it wasnt the oil light on the dash so i didnt totally panic. I did call a friend tho cause that light has never came on the check panel. he simply informed me it was the oil level light and it likes the oil level at 2/3f or more towards the top line
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 10-03-2011, 12:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by dnick View Post
    doin work! haha how do you like the solid mounts?
    yeeaa man! im trying to do a little here and there
    ...but the solid mounts? im not exactly sure what you mean. motor or tranny mounts. neither are solid mounts tho

Leave a comment:

• dnick
    replied
    doin work! haha how do you like the solid mounts?

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Took the pads out of the rear springs..now im saving up for the GC coils!!

Also, my buddy recorded some random time in the car.lol

AHAH..i quoted some youtube video posts and figured out what i was doing wrong. got it now
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 10-03-2011, 12:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    So i just started work again yesterday!! another bmw.lol (black man working)

Hopefully i will be able to start this build up and make it interesting again. In the meantime I hope to do these things within the next couple weeks:
    1. Paint chrome window trim black & side trim
    2. Get Spal pusher Fan! prolly a 16"
    3. Front and Rear Strut Brace

Then in november ill get more into the good stuff:
    4. Ground Control Coilover Conversion Kit (ordering skidplate @ same time.lol)
    5. MILLER MAF AND WAR CHIP!!! cant friggen wait for this guy
    6. Custom Exhaust featuring a Vibrant Muffler
    7. Engine Tune Up/Head Gasket check & resurfacing
    8. Acquire turbo parts

I am a firm believer that you do not need a lot of power to drift. Look at the AE86...it was my dream car growing up, hard to believe. But that car has a lawn mower motor and that is plenty for the Japanese to work with. The m20 makes good enough power for a beginner like me. I am concentrating most on getting the suspension and chassis dialed in first. Plus I wanna get these GC's so my car aint so high and rake lookin.

Ive been trying to research what the best spring rates would be for going sideways. Ive seen setup numbers posted but have a real hard time understanding how that translates to feel.

How stiff can I go and still be able to take my car to DC or to the track to drift. 600/700

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Cross-brace part 3....the solution

After starting a thread in the "springs, shocks, sways & steering" section (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222672) I got excellent feedback and a reason to why my sway rubs the cross brace.

It turns out that the IE 22mm & my Suspension Techniques 22mm front sway just DO NOT work with the race skids cross-brace. Now ejnight, selling the cross-brace on the forums says his 25mm front sway fits. Someone else, bearmw, says the IE 22mm does not fit. I have no reason not to believe them so to settle this I plan on calling IE and asking if their 22 & 25mm bars have the same design and bends. according to their site the 25 is hollow but doesnt say anything else about the designs and their similarity

So I tried washers, tried taking off and putting on my front sway and it yielded the same results..at first I thought it was cause it was an early model or just my fricken luck so it feels so good to know its just not me and i didnt do anything wrong.lol

today I took off the cross brace until i can find a vert sway (21mm). I am selling my ST 22mm front sway bar though! I think with my cross-brace and a strut brace i will be fine up front with any stock sway.

Someone said i may need adjustable front sway bar links but all those i saw seemed longer, and i just didnt think a endlink could be shorter.

Name:	IMAG0165.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	7135718

When i took off the cross-brace I noticed where it wanted to move up to and saw how the cross-brace was simply in the way. Someone said I should make sure the front sway was horizontal when the car was on the ground. Mine was pointing upwards which made the bottom of the sway move forward.

Name:	IMAG0167.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	7135720
    this last pic below is just to see if i installed it wrong.haha i was considering all posibilities

Name:	IMAG0166.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	7135719

I went for a very spirited drive and there was a noticeable difference without the brace. I think the x-brace along with a strut brace will be just fine up front for what i need.

What im thinking now is that a 2mm difference in sways wasnt giving me huge handling gains. I was talking to a few drifters at a local meet in kingstowne, VA and they were telling me how u do not want the front to be too stiff. Granted they drove 240's and a AE86 but they had more track time than me. more trial and error. So this may have been a blessing in disguise which will help me in the long run? I would just throw the stock bar back in and use the cross-brace with it but i dont think it will work with the ST bushings. And i dont feel like doin it twice in 1 week

Another problem off the list!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X