Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malik's 87 325is build (DAILY DRIFT E30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattAvino
    replied
    I think it would have been safer to lift the motor under the AC compressor (steel bracket actually) than under the pan, but it seemed to have been fine. btw how much did those motor mounts set you back?

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    AKG 75D motor mounts & E21 Tranny mounts w/ alum cups DONE

Today was almost a 100% productive day.
    goals were:
    - remove old motor mounts and install the akg's
    - Install tranny mounts once motor was lined up and not pushed all the way to the driver side
    - Install the bolt that connects driveshaft to guibo

I was able to get the old motor mounts out!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	motor mount old split.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	7135577

Name:	motor mount sliced.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	7135578
    This took lifting the motor up with wood and a jackstand at the oil pan. Then i had to go to the drivers side and use a 2x4 to pry/push at the oil pan from the top of the engine bay using a long wooden stick, pushing the motor to the passenger side. (above pics show how much i had to move the motor to the passenger side) After a shit ton of prying i still had to push the motor backwards for the AKG bolt to fall through on the passenger side. For some reason it lined up, we could see the bolt head from the bottom, but the bolt just wouldnt fall through! This finally worked by lifting the motor a little more with the jack stand, prying the motor to the passenger side..and voila, the bolt fell through. Some how lifting the motor more pushed the motor back enough for the bolt to come through. The driver side lined up easily once the pass side was flush.

Name:	motor mounts both akg.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	7135579
    this is the passenger side mount which went in first, i immediately took a pic!

Name:	motor mount pass side akg.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	7135580

*Btw, this took me and 2 of my friends to line it up. me prying at the oil pan above from the driver side (to push it to the passenger side with a long stick), my boy on the bottom of the pass side mount telling me when to stop prying once the bolt lined up to the bottom hole, and my other homie lowering/raising/lowering again the jack and looking at the passenger side motor mount bolt from the top while pushing it down with a big pole.hahaha
    I was soo happy it finally worked. we were trying for a good hour and a half i think.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    old tranny mount pics

Name:	tranny mounts old.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	7135556

Name:	tranny mount closeup.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	7135557

I can not wait until things are lined up right.

If these two very important items have been over looked by the PO Im very curious as to what ill find in the motor.

Now im thinking i shouldnt hold off on the control arms or differential bushing.
    At least the car will be better than it was before. thats about the only +

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by MattAvino View Post
    ive got an 87 325is parts car (actually in good shape) if you need anything off of it, like maybe clips and other bits and pieces.
    Oh wow..Thanks Matt!

Im currently trying to figure out how to keep my battery from bouncing around also. I went to the Junk yard and got that little rectangle thing but the long skinny bolt wouldnt thread into anything.lol Any ideas?
    And i cant get the tray off from underneath it.
    ill take pics after i take my transmission off jack mounts.

JUST finished the other piece on the transmission. this has been more annoying than i thought it would turn out being

Leave a comment:

• MattAvino
    replied
    ive got an 87 325is parts car (actually in good shape) if you need anything off of it, like maybe clips and other bits and pieces.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    E21 transmission Mounts are kinda meant for E30's.lol

I almost have the tranny mounts fitting. im drilling out the last bit of the transmission then i should be good!

Name:	akg:e21 mounts.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	7135551

I had to drill out the bracket holes also. The e30 mounts are 8mm bolt threads. The thicker e21's are 10mm big. All holes and slots were to small. I didnt know this until everything was pulled apart. so that was a nice surprise. Then no stores had 10mm drill bits. They kept saying its a weird size. A 7/16 bit worked tho.

Name:	tranny mounts capped.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	7135550
    As for the motor mounts i need help with. I dont think its a 1 person job. And my neighbor said he was going to help buuut he still hasnt come.

^^ So now its 8:40pm. this is in addition to the earlier post above. ^^
    I got the new 10mm tranny mounts to fit in the transmission. About 35min of drilling & trying not to fuck it up the tranny too much, it slid in smooth. Then I tried to bolt down the support bracket to the chassis and it would NOT line up. no matter how hard i pushed.....heres why

When i did the ssk, the tranny would line up with some convincing. The old mounts only worked cause they were flexible enough to line up with the chassis screws..the mounts were also ripped to the side from the motor falling off the mounts. Either way what ive concluded is, because my motor mounts are soooooooo off (to the driver side). My Transmission is also pushed to the left..making tranny support bracket rest waaay left and out of line. hahaha
    2/3's through my 40 all I can do is laugh at the situation. Tmrw im going to tackle the motor mounts. Now that the tranny mounts actually fit in i feel like ill fix my problem once the motor sits in the bay proper! Hopefully all the stars align tmrw
    Heres the motor mounts now. enjoy

Name:	motor mount off DR side.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	7135553

Name:	motor mount off pass  side.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	7135554

Name:	motor mount off pass side.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	7135555
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-21-2011, 08:30 PM. Reason: pics added

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    MMMmmmm Mounts

Got some good stuff in the mail today

AKG 75D motor mounts and E21 tranny mounts with AKG aluminum trans mount cups.

looking up diy's on how to do motor mounts now

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    yea man..thanks!

Leave a comment:

• e46s54dr
    replied
    When I changed my clutch recently I also had to pull the driveshaft. I was able to get to the rear nuts with a regular wrench. I also had an impact gun which quickly zipped off the bolt.

Also, to remove the driveshaft, I had to unbolt the front guilbo, unbolt the center support bearing, and unbolt the rear u-joint just to be able to manuver the driveshaft out. There just wasn't enough slide in the slip joint to be able to just remove the front guilbo. Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    heres the link to the thread about the guibo

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Guibo problems!! Heeelp!

Name:	guibo shield.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	7135466

So theres 3 bolts facing me and 3 nuts facing me.
    the bolts attach the guibo to the driveshaft..then once the guibo and shaft are bolted together...they slide into the shield & bolt to the tranny by the nuts facing me. thats correct right??

from my research and a very timely thread under the driveline section of the forum ive figured it out. I think
    also got this pic form the thread..

Name:	guibo shield empty.jpg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	7135467

While trying to install the SSK i thought I could pop out the driveshaft to install a bushing..I started loosening THE BOLTS (above pic) but as soon as I broke em all free realized there was a nut behind the shield between the tranny. I couldnt get to those so i drove the car.

Now a bolt is missing. :crazy:

Im guessing if i torque wrench the nuts i can pull the driveshaft out. Is it that simple?

If so how do I hold the bolts behind it from rotating and putting myself in the same predicament??
    Any help is GREATLY appreciate! thanks

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by drutt23 View Post
    Good progress for not being mechanically inclined until gettin the beamer man!! Welcome to the E30 obsession!!
    thanks burh..i just checked out your build..i wanna learn how to do all that myself someday. it saves soo much money and u know some guy isnt cutting corners.

i will be getting more serious with the engine bay and preparing the motor for turbo this winter!

Leave a comment:

• drutt23
    replied
    Good progress for not being mechanically inclined until gettin the beamer man!! Welcome to the E30 obsession!!

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    parts 4 sale

oh im selling these headers..they were never installed
    $150

Name:	4 sale 1.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	7135406

and these tinted tails. i got pulled over for em. in MD your not supposed to have tinted tails. at 4pm theyre a problem i guess. stupid.
    $100..there are previous pics of em installed. i loved em. i just dont need extra fed attention

Name:	4 sale 2.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	7135407

SOLD
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-13-2011, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ROLLingKING
    replied
    FCP Groton Z3 Short Shift Kit..kinda a kit

Its funny, the short shift kit was the first thing i ordered when I got the car in april. Ive always wanted to install one in my own car since its what you use the most. And i HHHAAAAATTTEEE how long the stock throw it..im tall so my seat is back a bit. (zero room for anyone to sit behind me) And because of my long legs it made throwing into 5th difficult sometimes. Id have to lean forward so finally i moved my seat up.

Until last night...I finally installed that bitch
    At first i tried it by myself and the bitch clip wouldnt come off..that was the story for the next 2 attempts with 2 different ppl. Yesterday I finally figured it out buut stil had soo many problems. Everyone kept telling me to wait until i did my clutch and dropped the tranny, but i dont listen. I also dont need a clutch. I plan on clutch kicking this one to its grave..and as i upgrade power ill upgrade the clutch & flywheel.

Name:	shifter arms.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	7135401
    Well making a long story short i ended up with extra parts. I have a shield around my flex guibo that made things very difficult...anyone know a way around this thing?

Name:	guibo shield.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	7135403
    since that was in the way i couldnt change the piece held in by a pin..this guy

Name:	shifter extra piece1.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	7135405

The other extra piece is the rubber bushing where the bitch clip is..that medal rod seen here (below) has a bushing in it but the one sent to me is an OVAL shape..a 12ton press my neighbor had wouldnt get it to go in. there must be another special tool that compresses this bitch while pushing it in...idk

Name:	shifter out.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	7135402

oval bushing

Name:	shifter extra piece2.1.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	7135404
    BUT i am extremely happy with my new reduced throw. soo much better...and not notchy like some ssk's. i actually didnt like the uuc when i felt it at a car meet

Leave a comment:

Working...
X