No announcement yet.

Andrew's 1989 325i Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not m5x with an automatic? I mean if you're going to spend money on another engine, why not get something out of it? I'll trade my m50 for your m20 :p
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Well the whole reseal idea was James Criv's, and I believe it is a good one. I will have the engine on a stand for a week, why not clean it up and make it totally reliable. Kind of a do it while you have the opportunity type thing I suppose.

I thought long and hard about a m50 with an auto, but my current financial situation does not allow for that. M20's are fine, and powerful enough. I have $400 currently, and I am taking out a loan from my Mom for $400. I can sell the oil pan, head, and a bunch of other stuff off my current motor to make some money and recoup.

I figure after everything is bought, and sold, this whole thing will have cost me $500, maybe $600. Not toooo bad.

Comment

Regasket-ing won't do anything for "reliable" - just plug up leaks. I'd save that money if it was me. New gaskets on a non-leaking motor is just lipstick on a pig.

Oil pan is cheap and easy - and a usual source of leaks. And a PITA to do in the car - the rest I'd skip(except for t-belt if you don't know when it was done last). Save the motor re-fresh when the rest of the car is up to shape - just my 2 cents.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Well why deal with possible future oil leaks when I can just do them now?

Bottom end gasket/seal set is $30, includes the pan gasket. Might as well do the rear main seal and stuff.

Headgasket I probably dont need to do, but it would be a wonderful piece of mind. I likely will end up not doing it

Comment

So should I get new motor mounts? OEM or..?

Comment

Andrew, If I was you, I'd just run this engine that you have into the ground.
              At the age you're at (and I'm not too much older than you) money like that is better saved than spent. Just focus on getting the car really tidy, lowered,etc...

Then when you've got enough money, do it right.

Just my .02

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Oh no, my engien is knocking atrociously. Ill get a video tomorrow on here... it is BAD

Comment

Then just let it blow up on its own mkay

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                  1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                  2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

I am debating whether just going to a parking lot a few hours before I begin to pull the engine and just drive the piss out of it. I have AAA so I can get the tow no problem. lol

Comment

+1 let it blow and then buy a new engine. They will last longer than you think knocking and carrying on.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hmm well I am buying a good engine now. Made $90 today and $50 will be made tomorrow.

The engine I have found is supposedbly super clean and all. Getting compression numbers tomorrow

I will be replacing entire igntion system, minus the coil and plug wires (mine are fine), timing belt, new water pump (or just re use mine form last May with a new gasket), new headgasket, new thermostat, all that good stuff

Ill clean the bay too and everything and make the motor nice and pretty, maybe paint the block.

I am really, really looking forward to the experience of pulling a motor, and doing REAL mechanics work

Comment

1.fix up bought engine on an engine stand outside of the car.
                          2.drive car till it don't wanna go no more.
                          3.engine swap.
                          4.enjoy your pain free back, and pat yourself on the back for doing it the smart way not the hard way.
                          5. profit.

i would rather work on an engine stand 100% of the time,....
                          just drive her till shit hits the fan but be ready for shit to hit the fan.

Comment

Yup... thats the plan I outlined earlier. I am buying a stand on the way home from grabbing the engine

Should have a nice reliable car.. for awhile

Comment

Don't be surprised if your current M20 just won't die. My eta has been knocking for two years. It's not bad when it warms up though. What weight oil are you running?
                              My Feedback

Comment

I have Valvoline high milage red bottle 20W50

Mine knocks really bad. Not sure what I did. I believe my car running rich for a week with my blown fpr has something to do with it though

Time to go jump start it and get to school. My friend left the radio on I think

Comment

Working...
                                X