Project ETHREEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Mount Mayhem

So recently I was trying to track down the source of a bad vibration felt through the brake pedal. It was thought new motor mounts would help to clear it up, so I placed an order with BMA. In the meantime, I found that it was my Power Steering pump making the noise and vibration, and I got it fixed.

So today I was bored, so I decided to throw the new motor mounts in anyway.
    What should have been a 1 hour job turned into a 4 hour job. The lower nut on the passenger mount was stripped, so I ended up having to use a Dremel to remove the stud. The drivers sound mount was also a bitch and wouldn't break loose, so I had to remove my intake boot and charcoal canister so that I could get a better view and grip on the nut. All turned out well in the end, I just need to grab a new 17mm nut and washer from the hardware store today.

Old mounts:

These were so soft, one was squished like a donut, and both mounts I was able to squeeze and leave impressions with my fingers.

New mounts ready to go in:

I also ordered a new DME relay, and a new Fuel Pump relay. I was having an issue where it either took several seconds for the DME relay to click on and supply the fuel pump relay with power, or it took several cycles of the key to get it. This was the source of all my hard start/long cranking issues.
    Popped the new relays in, and they click immediately, and the car starts like it's brand new. This was a relief, I've been chasing this issue for some time.

Next on my list is a Center Vent Gauge pod. Awaiting my order from HighBoost to arrive. I'm going to go with VDO Vision series electric gauges.
    Volts, Oil Pressure, and Oil Temp. Already scored a brand new Volt Gauge from Fleabay for 18 shipped.
    sigpic
    Parts Wanted
    The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

Brake Refresh Begins

Been a long time since I have had time to do anything on the E30. This last weekend I was able to replace the TPS sensor, CPS sensor, and 02 sensor...now running like a champ. Only problem, it doesn't stop like one.

My rotors are FUCKED. I'll post pics once I get them off.
      So ordered the parts to perform a budget refresh, mostly referenced in this thread:

Thanks go out to Lurker27 for posting Part #'s and such.

I did splurge a little, and buy a Black Label Motive Power Bleeder. :razz:
      I went with Hawk HPS fronts, and PBR rears.
      Plans are:
      Remove all 4 calipers
      Degrease, sandblast.
      Paint Black
      Rebuild caliper seals
      Replace all soft lines
      New rotors all around
      New pads
      ATE Blue Fluid

This will likely take a week or two, working for about 1-2 hours a day after work and before I have to pick my son up.

More pics to come!

sigpic
      Parts Wanted

Comment

Brake Upgrade day 1

So today I had time to get started. Jacked up the car, got the wheels off, and went about disassembling the brakes so that I can get them cleaned up and rebuilt.

Right off the bat, my air compressor shit the bed. No help of air tools this time...

Got all 4 corners unhooked, and ready to pop the pistons out. Had to pop them out on the car, rather than with air. So I placed each corner in a bucket, and pumped away at the brake pedal till they all popped out.

As expected, the pistons were full of rusty sludge.

Tried to place the pistons into some party cups to soak in brake cleaner...big mistake. I wasnt thinking clearly, and the brake fluid promptly melted the bottoms of the cups off.

So the calipers & brackets are soaking in degreaser in preparation to clean them up for paint. While they soak, I'll go about unhooking all the lines.

sigpic
        Parts Wanted

Comment

looking good. this reminds me that I really need to rebuild my calipers. The brake cleaner melting the cup reminds me of Breaking Bad hahaha
          2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
          (Daily Driver)
          Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
          KW V2 Coilovers
          VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
            looking good. this reminds me that I really need to rebuild my calipers. The brake cleaner melting the cup reminds me of Breaking Bad hahaha
            I was thinking the exact same thing when I did it. :)
            sigpic
            Parts Wanted

Comment

Not too much progress today, I didn't have much time do dedicate to the E30.

Got all 4 rotors off. Of course, all 4 hold down bolts were stripped, and rusted in. I'm not even sure how they go tightened down, the holes were so rounded.
              Seeing as I was not re-using my rotors, I just went with brute force.
              First attempt was just to cut a slice in the bolt and turn with a flat head screwdriver:

That was a no go. So I went another route, and used this cone shaped grinding stone in my drill to just bore the head of the bolt off, and open up the hole.

Worked like a champ, and with much persuasion from my BFH, all 4 rotors popped off.

This led me to discover that my parking break shoes are totally gone. On one side, the shoe was literally worn into 2 separate halves. Oddly enough, my parking brake was working this entire time. I knew there was going to be one of those "while you're in there" things that I would uncover during this job.
              So ordered new shoes, and will have to wait to re-assemble the rear till they arrive in the mail.

On another note, I am debating on what to do with my calipers and brackets. Without my air compressor I cannot run my soda blaster, so I've been trying to clean them the manual way with degreaser and a wire brush. I don't that I can get them clean enough this way for a quality paint job.
              I could send them off to be powder coated, but I don't want to turn a $350 brake job into a $600 brake job just for aesthetics.
              sigpic
              Parts Wanted

Comment

Yesterday I got a a fair chunk done.

I replaced all the seals in the calipers, new dust boots, etc.

Then proceeded to replace all the soft lines. I did the outer 4 corners first, and saved the 2 bitch lines in the rear inner for last. It was a pain in the ass untill I found a tip from Jlevie saying to just cut the lines as close to the fitting as possible, and then use a socket on the back half, while using an 11 mm flare on the fitting. That worked like a champ.

Until this motherfucker fell down into my face:

Yeah, fucking black widow. Thats what happens when your car sits for 4 months when you and your wife have a baby. So that ended the work for the day. I made a quick trip to home depot, and picked up a pack of these:

Bombed my garage last night, so that no more creepy crawlers find their way onto my face while I am under the car.

Pads came in as well, hawk hps fronts, PBR rear, and new parking brake shoes. So those should go on tomorrow.
                sigpic
                Parts Wanted

Comment

Almost done

Today was another productive day. Got the parking brake shoes on. what a bitch! The old shoes were coming apart. Old on the left, new on the right:

Got all 4 rotors, calipers and pads installed. Made sure to use a ton of anti-seize to avoid any pain and frustration in the future.
                  My old rotors was so far gone. There was a thick ring of worn, eroded area around the outside edge. Cant wait to see what improvement in driving this provides.

Old setup:

New setup:

So only thing left to do tomorrow is bleed the lines using my Motive Bleeder, and then throw the wheels back on and clean up.
                  I'm toying with the idea of doing a product review on the bleeder, since this is my first time using one.
                  sigpic
                  Parts Wanted

Comment

Working...
                  X