Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

`88 Sedan track car build - here's Siobhan! Made the front page of Jalopnik!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tico Frank View Post
    I like the color on jandersons block as it will hide any dirt/grime but as for the head go all out. Since your wheels are goldish powder the valve cover goldish. I think I'm going to chrome plate my block. lol
    Just dip the whole car in chrome! Tires, windshield, everything!
    Seriously, I thought about gold, but that's a little too flashy for me I think...but I HAVE figured out what I'm going to do!

Originally posted by Rich@GTBPerformance
    Looking good kingston!

Looking forward to seeing what that block looks like when you have it cleaned up.

Maybe you should powdercoat it... I am thinking orange
    Rich, thanks! New pics will be up this weekend! The block has cleaned up pretty well. I still need to make sure it's COMPLETELY free of crud before I paint it. It looks OK, but when I run my finger over the block, I still end up with a dirty finger. Don't want the paint to peel off immediately. Anyone have any tips on this?

I had a brainstorm last night, and realized exactly how I wanted to do my valve cover. Now I just need to execute it well!
    Last edited by kingston; 08-19-2011, 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    Originally posted by LJ851
    kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
    #teamross
    Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Engine degreaser isn't working? Also how is gold flashy'er than red?
      sigpic

Comment

The degreaser still leaves a residue. It may just be that I need to keep scrubbing, and hit it with something like Simple Green or hot soapy water. Most of the 17 years worth of mung is off there, but I want the surface to be perfect for paint.

The gold by itself isn't any more blingy than red, I guess. I came up with an idea I'm really happy about last night, though. I don't know that I can pull it off, but I'm going to try. I'll ask for help, if needed, from people who actually know what they're doing, unlike me!!

Have you done anything on your swap yet? Jonesing for updates!!

#teamross

Comment

I found a lift for it. Other than that my build is at a standstill. Maybe tonight I'll take the engine to the location I'll be using for the teardown. That is all
          sigpic

Comment

Gotcha. Happy to help you with a build sheet if you'd like. I've got part numbers, vendor info, etc, etc, for everything I've done on the M50 so far. Can't wait to see what your take on the build will be!! Is your wife gonna help you wrench? She seemed very cool when I met her & the kids at the last meet.

...And are you going to swing out for the meet on the 7th of September?

#teamross

Comment

New stuffs!!

WOOT! Today a box of pretty, tasty goodness arrived at my house! Thank you as always to Levent from Guten Parts for the awesome stuff with great pricing and fast shipping!

Oil pan gasket and Aluminum Thermostat Housing (to replace the cracked plastic one)

Rogue E36 silicon coolant hoses, new head bolts and the 80F fan switch from a `96 BMW Z3

New oil filter and thermostat

New head-to-exhaust manifold studs, since all but 2 of the old ones came out of the head!

Castro's airbox!! I cannot WAIT to install this part!

New oil dipstick and dipstick tube for the E34 oil pan, which should arrive Monday or Tuesday!

Lots of work to do tomorrow!!
              Last edited by kingston; 08-19-2011, 05:56 AM. Reason: updated info

#teamross

Comment

I'm glad you like the air box, sucks that it got damaged:hitler:. thanks for posting pics will have to send you some stickers.
                www.CASTROMOTORSPORT.com

Castro Motorsport
                12600 Sherman Way, Unit C
                North Hollywood, CA 91605
                818-765-3606

Follow Castro's on Facebook:
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Castro...02411516506828

Follow Castro's on Instagram:
                http://instagram.com/castromotorsport#

sigpic

Comment

Super Jealous. Daaang.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by castros View Post
                    I'm glad you like the air box, sucks that it got damaged:hitler:. thanks for posting pics will have to send you some stickers.
                    Wow, you noticed that quickly! I wasn't going to say anything about the part where the coating was rubbed off. What did you use on there? Anything I can repair it with? And'I'd love some stickers!

It really is an awesome piece, man!!
                    Last edited by kingston; 08-19-2011, 05:55 AM. Reason: Additional info

#teamross

Comment

Super Jealous. Daaang.
                      Yep, it's been like Christmas!!!! Hopefully tomorrow the new clutch kit and the new knock sensors will show up...

#teamross

Comment

And the hits just keep on coming!

Why helllLLLLOOoooo there!

I luuurve getting new parts! Here's the new Sachs clutch kit and 2 new knock sensors.

Knock knock knock. Who's there?

I hadn't planned on spending an extra $140.00 to buy these guys. I saw that I had an uncut wiring harness included with the motor and thought I was home-free on that front. This is the kind of thing that people (like ME) don't take in account when they are pricing out a swap!

It sure will be nice to takeoff from a stop again without the car bucking and jerking like a 15-year-old who's never driven a stick before is behind the wheel!

The ironic thing for me is that the whole reason I started this swap was that I didn't wanna mess with swapping the clutch on the M20 (and it was dying FAST!). In the end, I buy an M50 with a Getrag 250...and still use the G260 from my M20!

I should have nice updates tomorrow...maybe!
                        Last edited by kingston; 08-19-2011, 05:59 PM. Reason: formatting

#teamross

Comment

Nice progress today!

Just one picture today...

Big progress for me today! With much trepidation I removed the cams, carriers, lifters and finally the head. I finished cleaning the block, and painted it with DupliColor (color was 'Cast Iron,' same as Janderson used). To say I'm right chuffed with the results would be an understatement...and also a little weird, since I'm not British :p

So the date is set now to do the actual swap: September 10th & 11th. I have LOTS to do between now and then, but at least I'm about ready to start putting the motor back together, instead of just removing stuff!

Thanks to Levent at Guten Parts and Tim (Philo) for all the help and support thus far!

*PS - Don't mind the dirty oil pan. It's still the E36 one. The E34 pan is due to arrive on Wednesday!
                          Last edited by kingston; 08-20-2011, 03:47 PM. Reason: additional info

#teamross

Comment

Very minor update. Day job stuff, and feeling like crud kinda got in the way of E30 action today.

* The oil pan is now off the m50. The new oil pan should arrive on Wednesday, according to FedEx's site. The gasket, dipstick & dipstick tube are already here.

* The head gasket area on the block and the piston surfaces have been cleaned up. I've started cleaning up the head gasket surface on the head as well, but kinda ran out steam today. I'd love to just take it to a machine shop to have it gone through, but in all honesty, I just can't do it right now. :(

I'm hoping that the swap can still happen on the 10th & 11th, but I hadn't counted on have to buy about $180 worth of specialty tools to re-install & time the cams. Sigh...

Time's running out. The clutch in my car is truly on it's last legs, and I do NOT want to have swap the clutch in the M20 right now...

#teamross

Comment

Dont you need the oil pump too? Do you already have it?
                              sigpic

Comment

Dont you need the oil pump too? Do you already have it?
                                Frank, No, I don't believe so. You need the E34 oil pan, gasket, dipstick and dipstick tube, o-ring for the oil tube, oil pickup and gasket for the oil pickup. You have to remove a bracket on main bearing 4 or 5 that holds the E36 sump that you have to remove.

I'll know more on Wednesday, when the new pan comes in! I'll do a test-fit and see what's what :) I'll make sure I post up pics during re-assembly as well.

Thanks to Tim England and Levent @ Guten Parts for the clarification on this matter. Cheers, guys!
                                Last edited by kingston; 08-23-2011, 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling

#teamross

Comment

Working...
                                X