Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
    damn you for being so quick. I have a 2nd kid on the way in a month and wife isn't working anymore. Trying to resist buying car stuff I "don't need" lol.....you're making it very difficult
    just let me know when your ready.

Comment

Those containers look so perfect. :bow:

Do you have a rear swaybar? Could the noise be related?
      Are the brake cables' housings attached to the car in a couple of places
      besides the ends? I don't imagine that could be it, but you never know.

I love figuring out these kinds of problems - on other people's cars.

Comment

Got a few pics from one of the photographers at the last event, that turned out a bit better than some others I had from the event. Just for fun :)

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop
        visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
          Got a few pics from one of the photographers at the last event, that turned out a bit better than some others I had from the event. Just for fun :)

Posted that one on my son's FB wall.
          He's 14 and dying to start driving. Wants to buy the E30 when / if I sell it.

We need a "Like" button for these forums.
          Last edited by Mark 42; 06-28-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

teaser of this weekend's project:

Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

It's fucking HOT today. The Subie's temp showed 101* when I went out an hour ago. So pulled the e30 into the yard under a tree (where it's only 95* lol) and got to work on the ventilation project.

Now before I start, a few points:
              1. Yes, I know that if this was a "real" competition car I would take out the entire sunroof and just put sheet metal there, but I also like to go cruise around, and I like having a sunroof. And I'll probably pick up an extra "stock" sunroof to have around and I can just switch it if I'm going for a long drive in the mountains and don't need the vent.
              2. This is a 50-50 solution in my book. Ideally I'd have a pair of vents a bit farther forward, but this will have to do within the constraints of my budget.

So first we take off the sunroof and get it on the bench, and mark the hole.

and cut..

drill rivet holes and cleaned them up

sealed with black silicone double-bead (not shown), and installed with rivets

decided to clean it up a bit cosmetically once I was done. The silver roof has always annoyed me.

and back installed.

Unlike a "true" rally vent that would have a full-cross bar handle, this is a single center knob so you have to make sure to pull it straight forward and back or the vent will twist a bit and not close well. No biggie, still opens and closes easily.

with backwards open

and the sunroof can still open halfway

:)

Went for a drive (yeah, it's still hot out!). Even at 30mph in the neighborhood there was a good amount of air pumping into the car basically right in front of and between the seat headrests. Also good so if dust comes in on-course it won't dump into my face, which is why I positioned this back a bit more than I could have. Pretty noisy when open forward (or backward) but everything in this car is noisy. When closed the wind noise isn't significant (since the windows are always down anyhow).

So, pretty pleased with this. I got the vent on clearance for about $30 from an online place called "Mill Supply, Inc." I think it's made for trucks or campers or something, but it looks to be the same one that Primitive sells for $89 (except theirs has the full bar handle, but is otherwise identical).
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

If the sunroof vent only protruded on the inside, would you be able to move the sunroof through the full forward to aft motion? I'm thinking with no headliner the inside obstruction would not matter.

If so, you could make a NACA type duct and not have to switch sunroof panels to get full open on the sunroof.

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

I don't know what the mechanism behind the headliner looks like though...
                so it's just a brainstorm thought.

But, you could also put a vent hose on the NACA duct to a filter box and then to your helmet for fresh air.

You could also make the current vent removable and put a blank out panel in it when you want a stock
                functioning sunroof (if there is enough space for some sort of panel fasteners).

BTW... I'm really enjoying vicariously building a rally car as I read this thread!

Comment

nope, there's an inner frame as well. At some point I may countersink the vent to be flush with the sunroof skin, and then cut out the middle section of the inner frame (which is mostly there just to hold the headliner that used to be there). That was my original play, but it's hot out, and that would be a lot of work, so I'll probably think about doing that at some later time. I just wanted it functional right now!
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Hot as hell this weekend (98 today), but I felt obligated to get the car some road time, so I did about 30 miles locally today, just cruising. Sitting still of course it was hot in there, especially with the black porsche seats. But on the move the roof vent really pumps in a good volume of air and keeps it tolerable inside, so I'm pretty pleased with that. Also with the hood vents I only had the Spal fan kick on once, which is pretty good since I was sitting at a lot of stoplights. So both cheap ventilation mods seem to be working as hoped.

But too hot to really work on the car (even if I had anything to work on at the moment), so I cleaned out the backyard shedgarage and then did some free cosmetic work.

Because everyone has white covers for their Hellas, lol...

Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

The e30 has forced me to do something I didn't expect to do: call it quits (for the time being) autocrossing the WRX. Because honestly, I can't get excited for autocross anymore after rallycrossing. That, and if I do want to do one, the e30 has star specs for street tires so I'll just use it.

To that end, time to replenish the "car fund" so I can do a few things to the e30 (and 4Runner) by selling my awesome 15lb, 17x8 JDM Enkei Tarmacs with the Yoko AD08s on them that have an STX championship in them (by John Willemin, before I got them lol). A fairly rare wheel to see in the US (I think about 20 of them came in on a NASIOC group deal back in 2006, but who knows). Pat Henry is getting them to use for track days on his WRX, so at least they're going to a good home where they'll be on the track and not at a car show or something, haha....And maybe I can borrow them back some day if I need to ;)

Anyhow, not an e30 mod, but letting them go will allow for some more e30 work so that's good.

bye bye

Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Bummer on those Enkei's...they're purdy

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

yeah.....but no point in them just sitting around gathering dust. I'm not a big fan of white wheels for daily driving anyhow. Plus it will free up garage storage space, which I desperately need.
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

traded my 15" 57c optimise grams for a car that i sold to now supply funds for my e30. rims < e30 :D

Comment

Too hot to do anything productive today so figured I'd roll down to Harbor Freight about 25 miles away and pick up an engine stand. Besides the annoyance of being stuck behind some A-hole in a Lexus on the twisty forest roads on the way there going 30mph, the annoyance doubled when HF only had the wimpy 750lb stand in stock. Screw that. I'm only gonna buy one of these once, so want the 2000lb fold-up one that's out of stock.

So.....the garage was only in the 80s today so do a bit of checking up on the engine either way.

First pulled the tranny off. There were only 3 bolts holding it on (guess the p/o kept them, lol), but they'd be replaced anyways so who cares. Everything looks ok I guess. Will open it up eventually and check everything out.

yep, looks like a transmission.

Then pulled the clutch and flywheel.

Clutch appears to be reasonably new. I'll have to see what the runout is to see how this one compares to a brand new one in terms of thickness.

Pressure plate and flywheel surfaces are smooth, but IDK if this discoloration is a problem. Any thoughts?

Also pulled the valve cover to get a look at the cams and timing sprockets.

Cam wear on the bearings looks ok I guess (again, any inputs welcome).

Timing sprockets are finito. Way sharp and way worn. yay, guess I'll be replacing those. Good thing they're pretty cheap.

I don't really plan to dig into this engine until the fall, but was bored so checked the easy stuff first. Doing a lot of reading on M42 stuff and looks like I have a good list of other things to check/replace while I'm at it. We'll see how that goes. I'm a little bit discomforted by the fact that the term "time bomb" seems to show up in a lot of threads about M42 engines though....especially since "bulletproof" is the terms that is in most of the M10 threads, lol.
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Why M42 now? trying to stay in class bounds or something? I'd much prefer the M20 over the M42. It's very annoying to work on as a precursor to the M50 motor. It's not very stout, overheats, and is prone to timing failures. Also, I'm not sure but you'll have to do some rewiring of the fuse box harness and junk. Go M50 man!

Comment

Working...
                                X