Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is Ed posting his pics? They're awesome!

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
    2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
      Where is Ed posting his pics? They're awesome!
      Mike posted a link to a dropbox account on the DE30 facebook page, or maybe on the WDCR rallycross page. A couple of you, though not as cool, you're not sideways ;)
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
        Mike posted a link to a dropbox account on the DE30 facebook page, or maybe on the WDCR rallycross page. A couple of you, though not as cool, you're not sideways ;)
        I checked both and didn't see anything....got a link?

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
          I checked both and didn't see anything....got a link?
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Not much going on, so decided to do a little project I've been meaning to do for a while. The inside of the car has always been flat black and pretty gloomy and dull. Plus the flat finish tends to "pick up" dirt and dust easily and it doesn't rinse off well with the hose. So decided to go with a gloss finish in something a bit more "fun." So we have "Sunrise Red" rust-oleum Professional. Also made it possible to touch up a number of places that were chipped to bare metal, etc. Anyhow, it's bright lol..

Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

How is the glare?
              Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

IDK, but I'm not facing backwards or at the floor when I drive so not too concerned
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Looks nice! Fun fact sunrise red is a close rattle can match to brilliantrot. My bumpers and valance are painted with it and unless you look for it in direct sunlight you cant tell.
                  91 318is M50 swapped
                  05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

I originally started doing it in safety red, but it was too orange-ish and looked bad with the seats. If I'm gonna bother painting, I might as well make sure it matches lol.

We'll use the gallon of safety red to roll-on to Jason's new rallycross Miata and it's crappy paint :)
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I wonder if all that red will affect your driving style....

Comment

Things done today! Finally some productivity.

Nick and Bobby came over yesterday so I could cut out the e28's rotted floor under his gas pedal and weld in a new metal patch and re-mount the pedal. I don't know why I keep helping this guys when he keeps beating me, lol

Then I painted it safety blue when he wasn't looking, just to piss him off :)

Coincidentally, the other day while cleaning the driver's floor for painting, I found that there was more rust under MY gas pedal in the area where I had fiberglassed 4 years ago, and the fibreglass was starting to come up. Admittedly I half-assed it back then.

So time to do it right. Cut out two floor areas, including the gas pedal base. Made some patches, did some semi-shoddy welds to put it all in, and used some 3M seam sealer to leakproof it. It's not beautiful, but it's strong (I tested by jacking up the car under the panel a bit, lol).

I won't show you my ugly welds....so here's the finished (unpainted) product...

With that done I was able to paint that section of the floor and put the seats back in (pics, later, it's a bit dark out now).

Also today Ozgur and Alp came to pick up the white 318 (sans drivetrain) for their own rally car project. We hit a snag when they showed up with a tow dolly instead of a trailer (Uhaul local was out of trailers, apparently)....which meant we had to re-install the diff (which I had removed to keep) so as not to have the CV axles just hanging there spinning during the tow. In any case, after much sweating doing that install with the car up on the dolly (lol) they took it away and I have my garage bay back :)

Then got to my main project: Lighting. I ordered an ebay $50 LED lightbar (made in China!) for better illumination during night events. I had seen the same one on Jesse's stage car (which he's used for four stage rallies so far) so figured it was worth a try. For $50 shipped, I expected some cheap plastic POS. Nope.....fully milled aluminum and this thing feels (dare I say) high-quality. It uses CREE LEDs and the optics look pretty decent, with 18 spots in the middle and 12 floods on each side.

To install, I mounted it on the bumper (diving boards have their uses, so I didn't need to make a mount platform or bar like the plastic-bumper guys do), and I moved my Hella 500FFs down and to the outside to clear the bar and the headlights. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, honestly.

Hellas are now mounted on some cut-up Thule roof rack aluminum bar, bolted to the underside of the bumper. Solid mounting.

So the wiring isn't all done yet, but I did a quick jump to one of my Hella wires and ran down the street to the church parking lot at twilight.

Here's with the OEM low-beams and yellow Bosch fogs

Here's the LED bar

I know it doesn't have the distance that I'll need for stage rally alone, but shoudl be great for night rallycrosses. For $50, I consider it well above expectations. And I still have the Hellas too (which I need to re-wire), for longer-distance lighting.
                        Last edited by irish44j; 08-09-2015, 07:12 PM.
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Link to the light bar?
                          1990 325is
                          m52b28
                          3.73lsd
                          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

We love those LED light bars for night racing. Huge difference.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                              Link to the light bar?
                              Just go to ebay and punch in "20 inch CREE LED light bar" and several variations will come up (all are the same I think, but have different mounting styles). In retrospect, the end-cap mounts may be more convenient for adjusting than the underneath-mounts that the one I got has.
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I love my light bar got it off of some guy on the forums and found a deal on some Hella 500 lights a eBay. I know its kind of hard to see the bar because everything is black.

My Garage
                                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                                X