Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
    Very cool build, and nice progress so far. Have you taken any pics of the modded tailights yet? Very curious to see how they look lit up.
    no, but I will eventually. Had a dead battery the day I did the conversion and forgot about pics.
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

a quick update for today. Didn't work on the car, but did get a couple things:

First, some mad tyte blue bolts from McMaster-Carr to replace the axle bolts when I put it all back together. Not sure why I got blue ones, but they were the same price so why the hell not :) Gotta love McMaster..

Also picked up some cheap tires that I'll give a try using for rallycross - we'll see. They are VERY soft sidewells, lol. But the tread pattern looks good for loose/mud grip so maybe I'll just use them on wet days. I like the squared sidewall edge, should give good bite. They're studdable too (ha ha)

They're also slightly taller than my stock size, and height never hurts.

Swedish, German-made Gislaved brand tires. Know nothing about them, but the P/O only used them one season (on his e30 vert), and when I got them they were bagged in his basement, so not subject to the elements. Rubber seems good, no dry-rot. Guess we'll see if they fall apart at the first event.

If anything, I can have some fun this winter with them if we get some deep snow :)

Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

btw, the Gislaved Nordfrost 3 is essentially the same tire as the General Alitmax Arctic, from what I hear, except it's made in Germany (so it must be better, right? haha..)
        Last edited by irish44j; 11-18-2011, 04:42 PM.
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Got down and dirty today with the intention of pulling the rear subframe.

After disconnecting the brake lines, e-brake lines, and already having the diff and axles out of there, ready to go. I took one of the trailing arms off as well, but that was a hassle so I'll do the other one once the subframe is off the car, when I can get better leverage.

A few notes: I continue to be amazed at the (presumably) OEM hardware on this car. For a 27-year-old car, I have yet to experience a snapped bolt, or stripped the head off a bolt, or had a bolt that was seized and couldn't be broken loose with expected effort.

This in major contrast to my 2000 Maxima, where suspension bolts and things would shear off or strip pretty much constantly when the car was only 6-7 years old. Here's to German material engineering and using quality pieces!!!!

SO, heard some problems with people dropping the rear subframe, with the bolts/main bushings being seized. I used a hub puller tool on the bottom and both sides dropped easily, though I didn't drop them off yet, just down to the bottom of the threaded bolt.

My current problem is that the driveshaft is still in the subframe center opening, and it won't clear. So I think I'm going to have to pull the driveshaft to do this (was hoping I wouldn't have to).

Got as far as pulling the heat shields above the cat, which was a bit of a hassle. Will deal with the DS tomorrow....

looking more naked

stupid DS! (don't mind the chisel there, it's just to prop the DS up to keep the center bearing good

one control arm off

the stuff. One axle re-booted

here's an interesting one. On the driveshaft is written "DON'T FORGET, IT'S NOT...." but the last word is missing. So now I don't know what I'm not supposed to forget. Dammit.

Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

those tires are tits

Comment

As mentioned those tires are almost identical to the General Altimax Arctic. I had a set of these mounted up on my car this week and they have been incredible. We have been getting dumped on the last two days, and they just grip. Had friend ride with me that DD's a lifted Cherokee on super swamps, and he was blown away my car does this well in the snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
                As mentioned those tires are almost identical to the General Altimax Arctic. I had a set of these mounted up on my car this week and they have been incredible. We have been getting dumped on the last two days, and they just grip. Had friend ride with me that DD's a lifted Cherokee on super swamps, and he was blown away my car does this well in the snow.
                cool, well I hope they're good for rallycross too, since I don't really need this car to be snow-capable (I have a WRX on Wintersport M3's and a 4Runner on Revo2's), so I'm good with snow! :D
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

got the subframe off and cleaned it up today.

the bushings pretty much just sheared apart - they were totally shot. So the inner part of the bushing is still on the chassis studs. Will need to figure out a way to get those out.

looks naked under there!
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

a bit more the last day or two, just a few projects to finish up the disassembly so I can reassemble the rear end soon.

Everything on the rear end is now removed, except the old ebrake cables (for drum brakes). I'm having a tough time getting them out of the tubes running through the body to the handle, so any advice is welcome. Need to replace them with the disc brake cables.

Also replaced the inner brake flex hoses with stainless/braided ones, which is much easier with the subframe out.

since I was raking 25+ bags of leaves all day, most of the car work had to be done in some late-night Sunday action. Trying to take advantage of these last warmish days of the year..

pulled the exhaust today as well, after taking a bit to figure out how the heck to get to one of the manifold flange bolts. Will definitely be replacing the bolts/nuts when I reinstall, they were pretty bad, but luckily none snapped or stripped, so that's good.

Then pulled the full driveshaft. While underneath the car, noticed a few things: First, one of the small crossbraces under the tranny tunnel was loose and one of the bolts was stripped, so will have to deal with that before I put everything back together. Secondly, there is a TON of transmission oil all over the rear end of the tranny case, front driveshaft, and tunnel. Hard to tell how recent this is, though, because there is none on the Guibo at all which seems kind of odd. I think my box of spare parts that came with the car comes with a rear tranny seal, so may investigate changing that out if it can be done with the tranny in the car. Will check Bentley. Third, two of the guibo bolts were loose, so will ahve to tighten that stuff up as well.

I'm going to leave the DS off the car for about a month I think, since I'm expecting a short shifter kit for Chrismas from the wife, so it'll be easier to install with all that stuff out of the way.

Also bot my BFH out and banged out the "knurled bolts" that hold the subframe in, since the old inner subframe bushing and stop washer were seized to it. Knocked them out the top into the cabin, and once they were free of the old bushing, knocked them back down in again. Good to go.

Finally, opened up the diff to drain. The fluid was dirty as hell, but was happy to see that it was still at the upper fill hole, which means that the seals are probably still good and I won't have to mess with them this winter. Will be replacing with Redline 75w90 gear oil.

Finally, just ordered some random nuts and bolts that I want to replace, from McMaster.

Probably nothing else until next week, with Thanksgiving stuff going on for the next few days, and waiting for a few parts to come in. When we go to visit my parents (who own a marina with a machine shop), will toss the subframe in the back of the SUV and have it pressed out down there with the big equipment :)

Happy Thanksgiving to the 2 people who are still reading this thread, lol...
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Nice work banging the subframe bolts up to get the seized bushings out and then back down in once the bushings came off. My friend had to hack apart the subframe bolts on our 2002tii Lemons car which had the bushings separate like that when he removed the subframe. Sourcing replacement bolts ended up being a little difficult for the timeline of the build.

Comment

Keep up the good work! more rally e30s = winning.

Looking for a clean e30 shell for a project.

Comment

Originally posted by kts View Post
                          Nice work banging the subframe bolts up to get the seized bushings out and then back down in once the bushings came off. My friend had to hack apart the subframe bolts on our 2002tii Lemons car which had the bushings separate like that when he removed the subframe. Sourcing replacement bolts ended up being a little difficult for the timeline of the build.
                          they actually came out pretty easily, though I did heat the bushing sleeves with a propane torch for a couple minutes and then just knocked them up with a mini-sledge...took 4 or 5 blows. Thanks to the guy above who suggested covering the bolt heads, because they definitely did pop right out hard (in to the sweatshirt I put over them!)

Looks like a 5-day wait from Pelican for bolts, and local dealers don't carry them. That's ok, I can re-use these anyhow. Wanted to check just for the hell of it.
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

PARTS INVENTORY!
                            so I sat down tonight and took an inventory of the parts I have, since I discovered I've already ordered a couple small things that I already have. The p/o had alot of small stuff still in the OEM/PelicanParts bags and boxes. Other things I have to figure out what the parts are in the near future. This list doesn't include a couple boxes of various interior peices, bags of used hardware (marked on baggy what it is), and other random stuff.

I'll keep this list (and a list of what I've done) updated in post #2

Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I saw you over on grassrootsmotorsports and just realized you were over here too. The car is looking great and I love your use of space in the garage. I'm closing on a house in 1 week and am completely pumped to have a garage to utilize and customize!!
                              S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                              What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                              Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                                I saw you over on grassrootsmotorsports and just realized you were over here too. The car is looking great and I love your use of space in the garage. I'm closing on a house in 1 week and am completely pumped to have a garage to utilize and customize!!
                                thanks, yeah it's been a 5-year setup in there trying to fit all my stuff in the half of the garage that is "mine" (as well as my big shed out back), since my wife insists on parking her truck in the other half (grr...)
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X