No announcement yet.

★ ★ Project Glacier | Make the E30 a Daily Again ★ ★

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you manage to do it without bmw cam tools? I've heard of people doing that but most say its worth it to just use the cam tools and save time/effort
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
      did you manage to do it without bmw cam tools? I've heard of people doing that but most say its worth it to just use the cam tools and save time/effort
      I didn't use the BMW cam shaft tool. My roommate could have borrowed it from his work but I decided to do the method where you rotate the cams to put all the force on bearing cap 2, remove the other caps, and then slowly remove cap 2 method. Shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhHWwmI-NSk

It was super easy. That tool is stupid expensive iirc.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Got a bit more done today. I got the valve train reinstalled, including a Dr Vanos unit I got from AWDBOB. I also buttoned up the valve cover with a new gasket set.

And since I was getting pissed with the iPhone not being able to handle the weird color temp of my garage, I brought out the good camera.

DSC05545 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC05547 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC05553 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

Plan for tomorrow is to do the oil filter housing, oil pan/related shit, and whatever else I can bolt on before drinking too much beer.

<3

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Nice progress, new camera shots are looking prime as well. What's your new setup consist of?

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
          --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Damn those are some good pics. Thanks for the cam info. Anything left to purchase or is all just a matter of getting the engine in and stuff? Are you using the getrag trans?
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
              Nice progress, new camera shots are looking prime as well. What's your new setup consist of?
              I finally got rid of my D3100 and replaced it with a Sony A7 with a 50 f/1.8. Currently trying to save up for a Sigma 35 f/1.4 or a Sony 24-70.

Damn those are some good pics. Thanks for the cam info. Anything left to purchase or is all just a matter of getting the engine in and stuff? Are you using the getrag trans?
              I keep finding things I need to purchase, like missing bolts among other small things. The only major things I still need to figure out/purchase are radiator hoses, power steering lines, potentially a clutch/flywheel, and exhaust stuff. I'm sure I'll find more things once I start tearing the car apart.

Comment

3 months later....

how about you spend some money on the E30?

Originally posted by brokecollegekid View Post
                Glacier Blue Side Mirrors - $60

Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  3 months later....

how about you spend some money on the E30?

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4909022
                  Originally posted by lambo View Post
                  no longer swapping? or are these leftovers?
                  No longer swapping. I've known deep down for a while that the M52 isn't really the engine I want to put in my car and I've finally decided to let it go...

Comment

are you waiting to sell the M52 to buy the pieces to rebuild the futuras?
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

are you waiting to sell the M52 to buy the pieces to rebuild the futuras?
                      That would be the cool thing to do... but my buddy has a set of Kosei K1's that I might buy...

Anyways, probably not a lot going to happen soon to the car. I want to put power steering back in, and look at how much of a pita it will be to reinstall a/c. I miss driving it but fuck everything about not having a/c. Also not having power steering is super lame. I was an idiot 6 years ago...

Comment

That would be the cool thing to do... but my buddy has a set of Kosei K1's that I might buy...

Anyways, probably not a lot going to happen soon to the car. I want to put power steering back in, and look at how much of a pita it will be to reinstall a/c. I miss driving it but fuck everything about not having a/c. Also not having power steering is super lame. I was an idiot 6 years ago...
                        Im not against light wheels, you know that ;)

Also, those two things were one of the main reasons I sold the Aluminum Monster, I missed daily driving an E30 and I didnt know what kind of headache I had ahead of me with those, in addition to the whole BAR/ smog thing here in CA, hence why I have my current E30...

I would write this summer off and start collecting the parts to at least do the power steering again, so you can start driving it again when the Taco needs a break...then you can start collecting the A/C parts so you can enjoy the following summer
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Im not against light wheels, you know that ;)

Also, those two things were one of the main reasons I sold the Aluminum Monster, I missed daily driving an E30 and I didnt know what kind of headache I had ahead of me with those, in addition to the whole BAR/ smog thing here in CA, hence why I have my current E30...

I would write this summer off and start collecting the parts to at least do the power steering again, so you can start driving it again when the Taco needs a break...then you can start collecting the A/C parts so you can enjoy the following summer
                          Yeah some light wheels with decent tires would be so nice. I'm hoping to be able to do that this summer. I still have most of my power steering stuff so I'm also hoping to get that reinstalled before winter rolls around. It's really just quality of life things I've found myself caring about recently. Things to make me want to drive it more often.

Comment

It's really just quality of life things I've found myself caring about recently. Things to make me want to drive it more often.
                            They grow up so fast

Im trying to hold off on ac reinstall as long as possible. Only a 4 months a year weekend car.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

bump
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

bump
                                Sold the M52 and bought some truck wheels

DSC00706 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

Not much going with the E30, as per usual. Current plan is to clean it up a little, get power steering and A/C back in it, fix the sound system and just make it a nice place to be. It also got kicked out of the garage, and on to the street so I can park the daily inside when it snows haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X