X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AbsorbantNut View Post
    this m30 thing is starting to sound like a broken record
    Better than a broken timing belt.....

....which will happen if you keep that m20.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post

I forgot that M30's are chains. How bad (i.e. expensive) is doing preventative maintenance on those?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
        I forgot that M30's are chains. How bad (i.e. expensive) is doing preventative maintenance on those?
        Look what happened to Kameron. Don't be a Kameron. Don't do M30's.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
          Everything bad that could happen, happened to him... Good point. But, he's also dealing with boost which I wouldn't be doing straight off the bat.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Gates brah........Gates.

Truer words have never been spoken.
            sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Easier than M20 because no belt.

If you really wanna do chains/guides, go for it....but unless it has over 250k on the engine, I'd roll with it.

If you're swapping heads, doing turbo things, it's more of a while it's apart thing.

....but it's a life-of-the-engine type thing.

An M30 will outlive the car it's put it. This has been proven many times over.

Comment

Everything bad that could happen, happened to him... Good point. But, he's also dealing with boost which I wouldn't be doing straight off the bat.
                Bro like 250 bucks or less especially if your friends with blunt ;)

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Same foundation. Let's not complicate things with variables like 20 pounds of boost.
                  And what about Japandrew? He went M30 and nobody ever liked him. It's all bad man. Don't let history repeat itself. Don't become a statistic.

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                  Gates brah........Gates.

Truer words have never been spoken.
                  This guy gets it.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Same foundation. Let's not complicate things with variables like of boost.
                    And what about Japandrew? He went M30 and nobody ever liked him. It's all bad man. Don't let history repeat itself. Don't become a statistic.
                    Don't you put that evil on me.

Comment

★ ★ Project Glacier | Stella | Fueled by DREAMS ★ ★

Lololol japandrew

Kams problem was he forgot the load plate the first time and when he did that he destroyed the crank. So when he replaced it the second time it was really just a temp fix. Boost the right setup and you'll have no issues do the right work and you won't need 20+ psi to make 350-400hp

As long as you don't polish your Pistons, notch your subframe and buy oem tape you should be alright.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Japandrew should be your end goal

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Beginning to think Lambo isn't man enough for the M30.

Comment

Beginning to think Lambo isn't man enough for the M30.

I had him turn in his man card way back when he spooned 205s onto his 9 inch wheels.
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                              I had him turn in his man card way back when he spooned 205s onto his 9 inch wheels.
                              I'm sure spooning an M30 into that e30 will help catalyze getting that card back....as he will no longer be able to have 205s on his niners.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsorbantNut View Post
                                this m30 thing is starting to sound like a broken record
                                Kinda like how you sound all the way through the last few pages ;)
                                m30>m10>m20

Easy, I did a full refresh on mine before swapping for under 400.00

He ran a lot of boost and neglected a few key things that ended badly, he is doing it right and replacing the issues and I suppose swapping it back?

I am coming up on 2 years swapped without a single issue NA, I went through it and sorted any issue out beforehand and time has shown that is the proper way to go. If you want better MPG I HIGHLY suggest sticking with the m20 in there, if you want the growl of a bear I would swap an m30 ;D
                                m30 is the most reliable engine BMW has ever made besides the m10, the m20 is also very good but timing belts are for the birds. You have something going for you with the m20; it looks to run super well and it is already in the car...collect parts and start building on that! That is my sage advice.
                                ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                                ~ '87 535
                                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Working...
                                X