• Show
Clear All

You got this!
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Well, car is out of the garage. It runs so fuckin good. Now I'm just praying I can get my Futura back from being fixed. I really don't want to drive to O Fest with stupid mismatched wheels... Paul said it should be done on Monday and he's going to try to overnight it to me. Starting to get a little nervous about it...

Tomorrow I plan to put the hood back on, get the tent mounted and play with the ride height to get it good for the trip, and also start organizing shit to bring. All my stuff is setup for my truck where space isn't much of an issue so I need to figure out what I do an don't need.

Engine bay really needs to be cleaned and freshened up but it's not looking too bad.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Ok... not gonna lie... this is pretty dumb

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

delivering giant pizzas?

Comment

dude, but you will be able to sleep elevated above the ground and easily be able to pack up your tent and do it again somewhere else! Not dumb when it's functional.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
              delivering giant pizzas?
              I wish... not sure even a pizza this big could feed all the dudes at ofest

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              dude, but you will be able to sleep elevated above the ground and easily be able to pack up your tent and do it again somewhere else! Not dumb when it's functional.
              Yeah it's gonna be fun. There's a lot in store for this trip. Although this is probably the last use I'll get out of this tent. Thinking of selling it for a different setup for my truck.

Comment

Well... bad news and good news... Got the car aligned today and had my good rear Futura mounted today. Car drives awesome now that it tracks straight.

And it looks great now that it has matching wheels (on one side for now). I was planning to drive down to O Fest and grab the Futura from Paul at the event. It would have made for a great story for the come back of the Futura's.

However... I found a massive oil leak this evening. It's severe enough to the point where I'm not comfortable driving 3,000 miles round trip. My guess is the oil leak is coming from the head gasket. It's not coming from the valve cover gasket, rocker end plugs, or cam shaft seal, all of which I replaced. It's also not coming from the oil pan which was just resealed a month or so ago.

On the plus side it is nice to see the car on a matching set of wheels...

Comment

I know you probably did, but check the oil pressure sensor- I had one fail and create a severe leak on the passenger side, super easy fix if that’s the problem.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                    I know you probably did, but check the oil pressure sensor- I had one fail and create a severe leak on the passenger side, super easy fix if that’s the problem.
                    Yeah it's not that simple unfortunately.

I took these pictures this morning after drinking away my sorrows last night...

Here you can see the oil pooled up on the skid plate. It doesn't look as bad as last night where it was a legitimate pool of oil sitting on the skid plate. Most of it, as you can see, has drained off the back of the skid plate and onto the ground over night.

And here's where the oil is coming from...

It doesn't leak when the car is running. But, once the car has been running, shuts off, and when the engine has no more oil pressure, a stream of oil starts flowing down here:

Comment

bleh

Untitled by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

Untitled by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

Comment

so is that the headgasket? is there an oil drain right there?
                        my m20 did that too. coat the headgasket with copper spray when u do.
                        works excellent.

Comment

That’s a bummer BUT it’s great to see you putting the effort back into the car. The car is happy but she just basically told you she’s not ready to be shown off yet. SoCal Vintage is here in a week. Get it done and drive down here, it’s a shorter drive than to O/fest
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

It's finally happening...

Comment

amazing. 5 spoke beauties.

Comment

oh hey

just a little teaser

Comment

Working...
                                X