No announcement yet.

★ ★ Project Glacier | Make the E30 a Daily Again ★ ★

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This seems to be a very common sight during the summer...

DSC_5646 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

If you don't mind asking how much does a driveshaft cost shipped?

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
        If you don't mind asking how much does a driveshaft cost shipped?
        It was $539.60 for the driveshaft, shipping was $44.95, and there's a $100 core charge (shipping for the core is included). So, total should be $484.55 after I return my shaft.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Looking good. I love e30 sedans. And that color really is a thing of beauty.

If looking to save some money Driveline Service of Portland got me a shaft next day (got lucky they had one in stock in Dallas warehouse) for my 92 vert and was $400 after returning my $95 core. Just a heads up.
          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
          -----------------------------------------
          91 318is Turbo Sold
          87 325 Daily driver Sold
          06 4.8is X5
          06 Mtec X3
          05 4.4i X5 Sold
          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
          90 325i Sold
          97 328is Sold
          01 323ci Sold
          92 325i Sold
          83 528e Totaled
          98 328i Sold
          93 325i Sold

Comment

Yeah there are certainly more cost effective options. Ideally I would have had a local shop overhaul mine.

Comment

Got the car all back together. No more vibrations so that's nice. A little demonstration of bad u-joints versus good u-joints...

No wonder my CSB died so quickly. Also, sorry for the vertical video :( originally captured for snapchat.

Car also developed a weird leak that I need to track down. The fun continues.

Comment

Just throw it away

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                  Just throw that ass in a circle
                  fixed

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                    fixed
                    Last time I threw dat ass around I ruined a set of Futura's...

Comment

When I did the timing belt/waterpump I also changed out the thermostat. Direct replacement 80° one. Before I changed it, the car ran dead solid at the mark to the left of middle. Now, it sits just a tick past that mark when moving and it sits just a tick below half when sitting in traffic. I'm thinking the old thermostat may have been stuck open or something causing the cooler temps. However, the fluctuation between moving and stopped is kinda weird. I'm positive the system is bled. Is this just normal behavior? It never goes past halfway.

Comment

As long as you never go past half you should be good. Is your fan working?

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          When I did the timing belt/waterpump I also changed out the thermostat. Direct replacement 80° one. Before I changed it, the car ran dead solid at the mark to the left of middle. Now, it sits just a tick past that mark when moving and it sits just a tick below half when sitting in traffic. I'm thinking the old thermostat may have been stuck open or something causing the cooler temps. However, the fluctuation between moving and stopped is kinda weird. I'm positive the system is bled. Is this just normal behavior? It never goes past halfway.

There are two things affecting the temp of an e30, the thermostat and the fan clutch. The way bmw set it up, the thermostat opens right before the fan clutch turns on. This leads to a very stable needle. If you put in a thermostat that acts a little colder than stock, you will get fluctuations depending on the situation. Colder temps while moving (minimum thermo temp) and a little higher in traffic (the higher fan clutch temp)
                          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                            As long as you never go past half you should be good. Is your fan working?
                            I think so. I'll have to double check. Definitely gonna go electric if it isn't lol.

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                            There are two things affecting the temp of an e30, the thermostat and the fan clutch. The way bmw set it up, the thermostat opens right before the fan clutch turns on. This leads to a very stable needle. If you put in a thermostat that acts a little colder than stock, you will get fluctuations depending on the situation. Colder temps while moving (minimum thermo temp) and a little higher in traffic (the higher fan clutch temp)
                            Thermostat I pulled out was an 80° one and I replaced it with an 80° one. Hmm... I'll double check that my fan is working properly and try one more bleed.

Also, got some fun parts. I'm looking forward to getting a new shifter. Can't wait to feel what it's like with a tight shifter.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                              Thermostat I pulled out was an 80° one and I replaced it with an 80° one. Hmm... I'll double check that my fan is working properly and try one more bleed.

Thermostats definitely can vary in opening temp compared to their spec, did you use a bmw or oem unit, or aftermarket?
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                                Thermostats definitely can vary in opening temp compared to their spec, did you use a bmw or oem unit, or aftermarket?
                                It's a Wahler one. I can't imagine the opening temps can vary too awful much. Aren't they sold in 5 degree increments?

Comment

Working...
                                X