Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
    Any up dates on your itbs?
    Hey Raul! been following you, Brandon and CorvalisBMW closely.

dbilas plus supercharger is absolutely happening, but project's on the back burner. need to get the new IX sorted out. Callie's getting mostly cosmetics this year as per previous post, and I put in a pioneer radio (same model as audiquattrot has).

That's about it this year, though I may need to do rear wheel bearings - I have a squeak in the right rear, but that might be a shock mount.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Vert looks great bud!! Saw it earlier this year at the Montrose Harbor meet. I was in the black 86 325e.

Read most of this thread and your IX one as well.

If you need an extra set of hands/tools/etc feel free to drop me PM.

Comment

Waking back up..

Car's been cocooned all winter as usual, though did get a chance this past weekend to get it out there

I'm heading to AtTheVintage in May and will have the vert euro valance work finished by then. Also getting the hardtop headliner repaired and installing the $&^% expensive hardtop seal.

On the dbilas.... finally gonna get the ball rolling on installing it, but don't think I'll have time to install and tune with stock ECU, so I'll plan on doing that in June. Was thinking about a dbilas chip but since I'm definitely gonna SC that seems like a waste of $$.

I also just swapped messages with whodwho... He's running RHD ITBs on an M20 and is now looking into an SC setup... so game is finally on for ITBs on this end... hopefully I can learn from the best here.

MS+dbilas+SC here we come!
        Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:49 PM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
          e30.de inspiration

So... it turns out this e30.de car also has a dbilas setup. Don't know anything about the CF plenum unfortunately, but the brake booster is in the standard location.

There's no question that the standard dbilas plenum is small, and the ITBs themselves too big for a standard motor. low end torque is better over a single TB, but midrange torque drops - period. the standard intake has much longer intake runners and performs better. that's why fporro and this guy have spent effort replacing the plenum.

It's also why i really dig whodwho's SC setup. if I can combine a vortech sc with the dbilas plenum, stroke and cam I get all I want. Basically merge these two photos:

it's not about dropping a race motor in my car. I could stroke a bottom end and drop some RHD ITBs in if I wanted that.

The RHDs outperform the dbilas I'm certain of it. But I think you'd have a hard time adding a plenum and SC to an RHD engine. Can't wait to see what whodwho comes up with there!
          Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:19 PM.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

brand new dbilas on ebay

make sure you read up on M20 ITBs before taking the plunge though! Racehead / RHD is probably a better choice all things considered.
            Page not found - Racehead Engineering | Racing Hardware Developments

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

dbilas 2.8 stroker turbo, 3.1 RHD NA m20

just parking these here. holy moly.

dbilas 2.8 with a turbo setup
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1omygCRND1w

UK Hartge vert with 290hp out of 3.1 rhd normally aspirated m20
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr1Ej21rR7o
              Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 09:08 AM.

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

taking the plunge

so much for waiting until June...

the target

business end

corrosion on center itbs, probably heat related? will need to sandblast and refinish at some point
                EDIT: turns out it's just a coat of paint on the housings. gonna wire brush it off.

you can see where seller cut the exiting throttle cable off

ordered a new throttle cable and some additional hardware that didn't come with my parts
                [

the fuel lines, adjustable FPR and bit of vacuum line that came with the purchase. the braided hose is a bit much for me. fittings are mostly for show anyway. I'll get everything running and then de-bling.

not quite sure what to do with this yet. there's a 4 pin connector on it. pressure sensor? came with the buy but I doubt I need it.
                Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 10:04 PM.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

As previously installed in gforce323's 2.8 stroker

Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 10:06 PM.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

..........nice;)
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Barron..
                      Gonna try it out.. Let's see where it goes. I'll give you "dibs on the dbilas" though :-)

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I will be watching on the itb install. I will be looking for your power gains. Nice kit....
                        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks Raul. Sat on the thing for 2 years, lots of research along the way. Gonna tackle things in phases:

this year
                          - stock motor straight install. expecting a torque boost below 2500-2600, and a midrange torque drop. this is based on several threads out there basically stating the dbilas plenum is too small and 45mm ITBS on a dbilas are too big for a 2.5 motor. I still want to stick to dbilas though because of its overall packaging and plans to stroke and SC.

2017 EDIT: this happened as described, though the low end torque boost if there is barely noticeable. instead with stock displacement and cams you see a nice surge above 4200 rpm or so.

still this year
                          - add MS (2 or 3 haven't decided, either whodwho's or build my own)
                          - add headers (RDs hopefully)

2017 EDIT: MS hasn't happened yet because the M30 + 19# injectors and SSSquid chip work ok :-). I do have a set of RD long tube headers, and am on the list for the 2nd batch of RD snake headers (see post 195 for pics). if they ever actually happen I'll use them on this car and either move the long tube RDs to our IX or sell them.

next year
                          - stroke out the motor. 2.8 or 3.1

2017 EDIT: going 3.1 for sure, but 2018 at earliest.

at some point after that
                          - go for the SC setup similar to whodwho's serpentine+vortech

2017 EDIT: undecided on this. I may punt after the stroker work, especially if I do a real E30 hotrod.
                          Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 09:23 AM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

dbilas trial fit

official dbilas M20 install instructions - not very complete though
                            https://www.sendspace.com/file/xalja7
                            dbilas M20 installation thread from South Africa. MUST READ. Terrific, detailed. Disappointing performance outcome though.
                            http://www.e30clubsa.co.za/forum/ind...n-on-m20-325i/
                            sp33dy's 2009 dbilas posts in South Africa mentioned having to cut the heater core pipes back and grinding a bit off the thermostat housing to get everything to sit properly. Seems like I may be able to find a wrap around heater hose to avoid cutting the heater core pipe.

Initial trial fit, with the thermostat housing removed

aligning the plenum

sure enough, here's the heater core pipe issue. gonna try bending the pipe a bit rather than cutting it, as I don't have a way to put that lip back on it.

As to wiring and vacuum,
                            - just realized I'm missing the TPS sensor harness. Was hoping to keep a stock setup there for now. I should be able to reuse the stock one, and save the variable TPS that came with the kit for later once I adopt MS2
                            - need to pull the full injection harness off the stock manifold.
                            - had to relocate the starter/sensor harness that's routed below the stock manifold.
                            - no clue on the vacuum line routing right now, but I do have a valve cover hose
                            Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 10:14 PM.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Tight fit.:up:
                              Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

ow my wallet

just picked up an MT1 again. lots of work to do
                                Last edited by bradnic; 03-13-2016, 01:23 PM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X