Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one of the PO's 02s - S14 equipped of course ala Blunt's old orange one

Last edited by bradnic; 03-29-2016, 11:43 AM.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

The car is looking great . We should gtg on the weekend since I don't live to far from you . I would love to see your beautiful Euro version of my Vert . I can bring the windscreen travel bag 👌 Pm me .

Comment

you have pm.

check out the German KBA doc for the 16x7 Alpina (attached)
        full Alpina info on e30.de (via google translate)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by bradnic; 04-02-2016, 04:25 PM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Jealous of your wheels. I want 16 inch alpinas

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Nice 2002!! The Alpina wheels looke great....
            Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

I did see the s14 motor pic!!!!!
              Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Congrats on the wheels. You deserve a score like that. I'm into mine about $3.5K (without tires) after restoration. All those little accessories add up quick. Great to see you got a complete set. You did good.
                Last edited by robrez; 03-29-2016, 12:37 PM.
                sigpic
                January 2012 COTM

Comment

very nice thread & parts list. just an opinion I wanted to share with you though; I installed a vortech blower on my 325xi and hated it. Car went through several tunes, went up to 9 PSI of boost but the car still felt anemic. I'd personally steer clear from a centrifugal blower, but that' just my 2 cents. I'd pair what you have there with a nice 2.8-2.9L bottom end and an aggressive cam.
                  Build Threads:
                  Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
                    Congrats on the wheels. You deserve a score like that. I'm into mine about $3.5K (without tires) after restoration. All those little accessories add up quick. Great to see you got a complete set. You did good.
                    That's very kind Rob thank you! I'll have some resto work to do for sure so I'm heading to that figure as well. We're focusing on the vert now, and the IX will get some attention later. Definitely enjoying the process.. I'm not missing my old 771 mtech too much. I dig the interior, euro conversion and the upcoming mtech 1 work. Also need to finish restoring the hardtop (I have new seals and need to get the headliner re-attached). I'm also going to retrofit the electric top and zip out rear window, because the car is a 7/90 build with all the sheet metal changes in place to support the electric system.

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                    very nice thread & parts list. just an opinion I wanted to share with you though; I installed a vortech blower on my 325xi and hated it. Car went through several tunes, went up to 9 PSI of boost but the car still felt anemic. I'd personally steer clear from a centrifugal blower, but that' just my 2 cents. I'd pair what you have there with a nice 2.8-2.9L bottom end and an aggressive cam.
                    Thanks Julien. Really appreciate the post. I spent alot of time researching and thinking things through 2-3 years ago, especially digger's stuff. I do hear exactly what you're saying, and it's why the supercharger is the last phase of the project. The truth is that I backed into it because of the dbilas actually, as all indications are that it will actually drop midrange torque over stock. So why install it? good question. I don't have a rational answer.

Stroking and camming the motor will get some/all of the lost midrange torque back and more, but what a waste! It seems that if you want NA drop the dbilas enjoy the power and torque gains!. The rational person would either keep the stock manifold or get "real M20 ITBs". 3 options other than full custom ITBs:

1) stick with the dbilas and source the M20 CF airbox for it. Not a real option as the company's website is not functioning. I assume they're out of business.

2) sell the dbilas and go RHD ITBs.

Digger would certainly agree :-)
                    Originally posted by digger View Post
                    Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                    SUB'D.. still haven't installed my dbilas yet.
                    please sell it and use something better in that case.
                    That Hartge vert video I posted earlier in the thread screams... There's no plenum though, but I hear RHD was planning to release one. At least for now it's still not available.

3) The only other ITB option I know of is the H27SP but Raul/e30m3s54turbo tells me they were made by Schrick for Hartge and cost $6k new! They're basically impossible to find.

What do I really want? A flat torque curve and about 40-50 more hp than stock. So... if I'm weird and OCD and want my damn dbilas even though it eats midrange torque, I end up having to consider FI.

As to turbo vs SC, I think I wrote a while back that I'd consider a log / TCD style turbo manifold. But I've done intercooled turbo setups and I just don't think they're right for this car. That leaves me with a compact supercharger as the remaining option. There's no room for a roots system with that dbilas plenum - or is there? there's actually alot of room under the plenum...

Between that and the need for serpentine drive, there's alot of thinking to do. In the meantime I'll do a 'stage 1' dbilas+M30 AFM+19# injectors+tune. Then I'll stroke and cam the motor and headers and MS2. We'll see where we end up at that point, probably next year.
                    Last edited by bradnic; 03-31-2016, 06:02 AM.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                      Jealous of your wheels. I want 16 inch alpinas
                      they're out there man. one step at a time. get that zobelbraun beast sorted. so much rare goodness in your car!! and all that time you've put into it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it at some point.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

they're out there man. one step at a time. get that zobelbraun beast sorted. so much rare goodness in your car!! and all that time you've put into it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it at some point.

Hopefully soon... I sold all my race car motor parts:( gotta fund the rebuild.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                          Not sure how well that cruise control cable mod will work, when you apply the throttle the cc cable will not be pulled at the same time.

You might be able to to fit a spring loaded pulley/tensioner to take up the slack so it won't derail
                          actually they're both on the same shaft so they'll rotate together - at least I hope they will lol. it's a ways off so I'll have the chance to try things out.
                          Thinking about this further, it's still going to be a problem. Whichever cable is pulling will introduce slack in the other. the stock linkage allows this other cable to slip. Will need to incorporate something like that on both throttle wheels
                          parking this here - detailed S14 linkage.. my buddy Gary has some S14s I can study.

this last one is key - the cables mount to a bracket that rotates with the shaft.. good to know
                          Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 10:29 AM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Well that was fast. Every single part is NLA despite being orderable through the catalog.

Thank you for ordering from BMW Parts and Accessories .

We regret to inform you that the following 21 items are currently unavailable:

51711942967 AIR CHANNEL
                            51711942968 AIR CHANNEL
                            51111959739 COVER EURO
                            51111959740 COVER EURO
                            51111919154 LABEL
                            51711953903 TOWING HINGE
                            51121942083 RIVET
                            51121919155 BRACKET
                            51711919169 BRACKET
                            51711926202 BOLT
                            51711926201 8-STRIP EURO
                            51121953905 6 LABEL
                            51121953890 8-BRACKET EURO
                            51111953715 8-FOIL EURO
                            51161881149 8-FOIL EURO
                            51111942081 BRACKET
                            51111942082 8-RIVET EURO
                            51111919151 8-BOLT EURO
                            51711937627 BUFFER STRIP
                            51121932230 BUMPER STRIP EURO
                            51111953713 BUMPER STRIP EURO
                            Reason: Discontinued
                            still ticked about the MT1 parts order going south. Looking into ordering with a euro vin
                            Originally posted by Sirotto View Post
                            Its not that they're not avail but they are all blocked. It is way past the safety dot issue now. If it was not available on a us car you can not get it anymore no matter what it is.
                            @Sirotto is right. Turns out the parts do indeed appear to be available. Not easy to get in the US though. This new BMW policy is a disaster - pure horsecr@p for E30 enthusiasts.
                            Last edited by bradnic; 03-30-2016, 05:14 PM.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

What's the reasoning behind not allowing euro parts in the US?
                              Emissions, safety?

None of those parts would appear to change either of those.

I like this one......51111942082 8-RIVET EURO......must work differently then our US rivets!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doorman View Post
                                What's the reasoning behind not allowing euro parts in the US?
                                Emissions, safety?
                                That's what triggers everything, but I think it's easier for the OEM to just ban all non-market parts that try to filter our regulatory and safety impacting items. What's new is the aggressive enforcement of this stuff by BMW. You must show a title to a euro-spec car now.

Originally posted by doorman View Post
                                I like this one......51111942082 8-RIVET EURO......must work differently then our US rivets!!!
                                haha that's just the plastic rivets that attach the lower panel to the mtech1 front spoiler and eurovalance. they go in the holes in this part (which is a unicorn, but pretty easy to reproduce if you have a sample)
                                Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 10:30 AM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X