Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here she is 1991 318i with a mark d chip bbs rx214 wheel 16x7 bilstein hd's about to switch to sports this weekend and new springs, magna flow muffler with a glass pack in front of it and i also have a s4.27 diff to go in soon :)

i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

SWEET. love the dog.. we're golden people too :-)
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

hahha thanks man goldens for life. subscribed can't wait to see the progress
        i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

will have to pull the plenum again as I have a small coolant leak near the firewall.

more detail on the rough engine running, there is a CEL, idle is high probably 1200 rpm. when you apply the throttle I get occasional backfiring noise but no engine speed increase. sometimes with the throttle opened revs go up for a second but then they drop right back to idle despite the throttle position, as if there was no fuel or something.

Pulled out my Peake tool and got a fault code 35 = full load switch. I've got a note in to sssquid about whether I can keep the stock 3 wire TPS or not. I'll also try putting the stock chip back in and see if the engine behaves differently.

some info here

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

HAHAHAHA

TPS and ICV connectors are the same. Swapped them and boom - problem gone. Induction sound is just terrific!

remaining work to first drive
            - Idle's at 2k. make sure there's no linkage issue
            - fix the coolant link
            - attach the cable to the throttle pedal
            - get a cone filter or figure out how to get the airbox in

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I'm very glad that I found, live topic about Dbilas ITB.
              I also bought it, 4 months ago, but only now I'm going to mount it, ordered some seals for engine breather tube from main dealer, and the party will start :)

Just put it on, to see how fits :)

Comment

welcome Lietuvis! glad to see another live dbilas project as well.

My dbilas was originally on this Hartge tribute car in Canada. It's been painted and is probably early production.

I have alot of info about dbilas and M20 ITBs starting about here. There are many links to good information. digger in australia is an expert on ITBs. His 3.1 stroker build thread has amazing information.

thanks for posting pics as well! dbilas really cleaned up the throttle linkage! mine looks much less refined, more like a prototype.

I should have my car driving by this weekend and will find out how bad the midrange torque drop is. The biggest problems are the plenum design and ITBs being too big. So to really make them perform NA (normally aspirated, no turbo or supercharger) you have to stroke your motor and replace the plenum. There was a german company that built a carbon fiber plenum for M20 but I cannot find any info about them anymore.

Racehead in Australia seems to have the best M20 ITB setup out there now. It has long runners, and they just now released an airbox for it. There are no pictures of it installed yet, but this guy in the US is installing the new airbox on his setup soon.
                Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:06 PM.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

You must scour the Internet for some of those pics Brad!!

Your bookmarks must be all ITB/e30 related.

I may try to hook up with you over the weekend. I have your number via PM. I also have some questions relating to the Vintage in North Carolina this year. I thought I read somewhere you are attending?

I scored today off so the wife's e90 is getting a complete interior/exterior detail!!

XRT on in the garage and the weather is perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by doorman View Post
                    You must scour the Internet for some of those pics Brad!!
                    ha it helps that I researched a ton over the last 2-3 years lol. between bfc, e30tech and r3v the topic's well covered. if I found something useful I posted it on my thread so I don't have to dig all over again.

Your bookmarks must be all ITB/e30 related
                    hundreds of them, all e30 topics, especially anything euro related.

I may try to hook up with you over the weekend. I have your number via PM. I also have some questions relating to the Vintage in North Carolina this year. I thought I read somewhere you are attending?

I scored today off so the wife's e90 is getting a complete interior/exterior detail!!

XRT on in the garage and the weather is perfect!
                    I'll be in my garage all weekend so please do hop on over! weather's gonna be perfect.

XRT!! hell yes. Definitely looking forward to The Vintage. There's 4-5 of us between Chicago and Indiana that will caravan out there next month. Join us! So many great E30 people in NC that I'm really looking forward to meeting - jeffnhiscars, rapide30ic, n2mye30, 330izhp.... hopefully 318aye the rhd ITB dude shows up with his sedan as well!

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Cheers dude!

I was thinking about RHD ITB when I heard about it, but IMHO for my daily use in summer, with "open pipes" is not very good for engine dust/sand from the street. Yes, I know at this moment he produces carbon airbox.

So I decided to buy Dbilas ITB, because where is no custom taxes in Europe, if you buy from another Europe country, from Australia it would be RHD ITB price + approx. 400 euros taxes.

Where is one company from Germany, they are making Carbon AirBoxes, take a look

Comment

running great, no leaks, idle still a little high

all that's left is connecting the throttle cable to the pedal linkage.

- went through 2 different coolant line cap setups before giving up and putting the throttle body heater hoses back in. maddening pulling the plenum and rear ITB twice to get to the fittings. Also had a loose fitting on the bottom of the throttle housing

- I did not have to cut the housing for the water temp sensor connector. just added an extra washer to it, allowing the sensor to clear the fuel rail better

- cut the intake boot back on both ends and that cleared things enough to get the airbox in the stock location! thrilled about this :-) had to bend the bracket a bit but that's it.

idling at 1500 right now after adjusting the throttle linkage mounting position. will try the 2 idle screws next.
                        Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:12 PM.

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

1500 idle means no throttle take offs.........

I kid of course!!

Comment

lol. she's all done except for throttle adjustments. my exhaust sounds different now - lots and lots of gurgle off throttle. intake sounds comes alive at 5k. butt dyno doesn't show much going on different but we'll see.

bit of a rise on the hood. probably the AFM
                            Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:17 PM.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

comparing intake setups

Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:20 PM.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                                ha it helps that I researched a ton over the last 2-3 years lol. between bfc, e30tech and r3v the topic's well covered. if I found something useful I posted it on my thread so I don't have to dig all over again.

hundreds of them, all e30 topics, especially anything euro related.

I'll be in my garage all weekend so please do hop on over! weather's gonna be perfect.

XRT!! hell yes. Definitely looking forward to The Vintage. There's 4-5 of us between Chicago and Indiana that will caravan out there next month. Join us! So many great E30 people in NC that I'm really looking forward to meeting - jeffnhiscars, rapide30ic, n2mye30, 330izhp.... hopefully 318aye the rhd ITB dude shows up with his sedan as well!
                                I'll be there. N2MYE30 is a dick though.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X