Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just parking this here - from fporro. great view of the runner length on dbilas
    Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:32 PM.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Definitely sounds smoother.
      It appears the readings (only word I can think of) appear to be pretty even in the second video. The first one doesn't look as clear to see in my end but they look all over the place.

Rain appears to be done for awhile now. Gonna take her for a bit of a cruise?

Comment

yeah the idea is to get the vacuum levels consistent across the TBs, both at idle and at a higher rpm. I couldn't do both so I tuned for level vacuum at 3k. idle is fine but vacuum is slightly off on the rear ITB pair relative to the other 4.

this vid shows the procedure. guy ended up doing the same thing I did, tuning for higher revs. Of course I found the vid after posting mine lol.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmLwyAPMBLI

finally took her out this afternoon. started the car and idled fine at 800. nice and smooth on the road. can't say there's really more power though. also the idle's back up to 1400 after the drive unfortunately.

so will try re-syncing at lower vacuum levels. Engine started surging when I went too low yesterday, but I'll give the ECU some more time to adjust and see if it evens out. If that doesn't work the only thing I can think of is ICV stuck open. Don't really believe that's an issue though.
        Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:33 PM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Well 30 minutes of tuning and I just couldn't get the idle to drop. pulled the battery connection, let the engine cool a bit. Car starts up and idles at 800 rpm, and within a minute it's back up to 1400-1500.

Every attempt to drop the idle results in the engine surging between 1000 and 2000 rpm.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGn-lDeB0Hk

I have a note in to the sssquid folks to see if they can do something about the tune.
          Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:34 PM.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

:)

My hartge does just the opposite. It starts cold at about 1100 and then in about 3-4 minutes it drops to 850. Wonder if your warm up system is messed up??
            jm

Comment

well it was fine stock :-)

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

:)

I was just thinking that something got unplugged, or a vac. line pinched and is leaking??:)
                jm

Comment

The ITBs flow more than stock obviously, and I did add the M30 AFM, mustang injectors and tune. I've been pretty careful and thorough with the build.. I just don't get why the surging idle happens. As you can see in the vid the itb vacuum is all balanced now. I'm not touching the throttle in the vid. I tried disconnected the ICV wiring and it had no effect on the idle - what you would expect with the engine warm.

So at least for now I'm stumped. Tempted to pull the ITBs and throughly inspect them, but there's no reason to think that will really help.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                    How's this for cool? from e30.de, look for "Manfred: 325i"

Note carbs and relocated brake booster

Also a re-routed valve breather hose, where to? Kinda old photo i know.

Sent from my payphone using Tapatalk
                    1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                    1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                    Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
                    1967 2002 parts car
                    1994 318iS junked.

Comment

True.. Probably just routed to a catch can

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

fporro just posted this Hartge Japan H20 interior in the Hartge group on fb. cool to see OEM leather + houndstooth. every OEM houndstooth interior I've ever seen has anthracite/blue/brownish cloth bolsters

Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:37 PM.

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

My OEM euro valance is finally arriving this week. Will get it body schützed and painted just in time for the vintage

Busy with the car all weekend:
                          - thermostat housing replacement to deal with a coolant link
                          - reworked the ITB throttle linkage, grinding off part of it that wouldn't let me tighten mounting nuts correctly
                          - swapped ECU tune to deal with high idle. a 3rd tuning is coming

Spent all day today reworking my hardtop, re-gluing the headliner and replacing all the seals. We didn't want to drive all the way to Asheville with just the soft top... learned our lesson picking up the hardtop in Toronto lol.

Anyway the hardtop rework came out GREAT! Was really concerned about the adhesive soaking through the headliner cloth, but it all worked out. Bottom line: DON'T use 3M headliner adhesive, use Permatex.

STEP 1: strip the headliner back to the rear window (don't pull it off the window area). Since I was replacing the hardtop seals I went ahead and remove them at this step too.

STEP 2: scrape all disintegrated foam off the hardtop and back of the headliner cloth. be as thorough as possible. Took me over an hour to get it clean enough to not be concerned about lumps

STEP 3: follow instructions and lay out 3 coats of adhesive, changing directions each coat and waiting 5-10 minutes between them. I also brushed the adhesive flat between coats and removed any lumps by hand.

STEP 4: wait a bit and start attaching the headliner from the middle and work your way out to the edges. Take your time as it takes at least 30 minutes for the adhesive to start setting. I used my hands initially to smooth out the cloth and then followed up with a roller. BE SURE TO USE A ROLLER designed for this purpose. It is amazing how good that roller is at smoothing out the headliner!

STEP 5: let it sit a few hours before moving it.

STEP 6: Clean up the headliner fabric after the glue sets (still waiting on this). I picked up a portable steamer which should help here.

No pics of the seal work unfortunately, but it took about 3 hours to replace the front and rear seal. If you don't have patience I'd recommend not doing it :-) still gonna go back and selectively add adhesive to a few spots. The original seals where glued in place in certain areas, and there was also some black silicone or adhesive used in certain areas.
                          Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:38 PM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

dang looks really good man. had a busy weekend with my calypso vert as well. good stuff
                            i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Wife drove the car.. Stroker and FI definitely happening lol

Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:42 PM.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

My wife's texts when she'd drive the E39 usually involved her love of the car!!

At least your wife seems to be on the same wavelength as you for motor work.

Comment

Working...
                                X