Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes bootlids fit the same,,

& yes I have some available,
    with spoiler holes &without ,,
    pls pm,
    & yes seen side light / brake in the bmw logo roundel too !

Comment

Callie's doppelgänger on BaT right now

I've been looking off an on for a low mile Calypso vert just like Callie:
      - preferably same year with diving boards, but sheet metal ready for electric top
      - LSD and heated seats from the factory
      - original top
      - unmolested as much as possible, and of course no rust whatsoever.

The thinking was I would move my OEM+ goodies to this low mile car and prep Callie for sale to a worthy buyer (lol).

Well BaT just called me out with this 15k mile car.

I am absolutely stunned by this thing. Checks all the boxes except it's the 'more desirable' "world-spec" plastic bumper car, not a diving board that can be converted to euro spec.

Negatives:
      ... collector premium for ultra low mile is probably $10k - maybe more because of the color! I could just take a fraction of the $$$ and finish Callie exactly like I want it.
      ... the VERY real probability of damaging the car in my working 2 car garage (dents and scratches)
      ... you end up with a bone stock car
      ... (for me) can’t do euro bumpers, mtech1 or jimmy hill,
      ... you could do the shadowline trim, but at risk of damaging the existing trim when removing it
      ... stock m20 (it's a positive too as we all know)
      ... stock USDM headlights (which suck!)
      ... the cat back on the car isn’t quality enough
      ... bavauto springs on a car like that? Please.

Positives:
      ... Callie's rare enough as it is, but 15k miles??? it's just non-existent.
      ... it's a brand new drive train!
      ... very nice set of euroweaves
      ... you can’t do mtech1 but mtech2 is on the table (++). But that’s more time and investment, plus you’d have to risk the shadowline trim conversion (- -)
      ... I can store the basically new interior, preserving it's condition and keep my houndstooth+husco
      ... I could still do ‘light bolt on’ OEM+ mods like the euro-cluster, rear fog, hlcs
      ... after 7 years, based on my last 6 years of driving this car I’d still be around 30k miles, as long as I trailered the car to out of town events.

I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do. But in the end I think I will get priced out, which in the grand scheme of things I will probably be ok with. The probably too high collector premium and this side by side pic is why

Callie looks better to me by far. Removing trim to shadowline a 15k mile car just isn't something I'm probably willing to do.
      Last edited by bradnic; 11-16-2018, 09:54 AM.
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

They are both beautiful. Tough call.

Comment

My rational side says stick with what I have. The insane side wants to turn the new car into a custom 771 5 speed with my current interior. But then I’m stuck with the stock, new, and absolutely unmodifiable drivetrain

If the price goes any higher the rational side will probably win out and I’ll be kicking off the stroker build

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Stick with what you have and make it what you want and never be afraid to drive it. Unless you have a giant collection of sub 30k mile cars, there's no point in owning one. You'll be afraid to drive it and afraid to rack up miles on it.
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
              Stick with what you have and make it what you want and never be afraid to drive it. Unless you have a giant collection of sub 30k mile cars, there's no point in owning one. You'll be afraid to drive it and afraid to rack up miles on it.
              I totally agree with Austin, those cars are so expensive at the moment that they can't be driven without thinking all the time about racking up the miles or being in any kind of accident.
              1990 Bmw 316i 2 door Alpine WeiĂź 2
              1990 Bmw 535iA Alpine WeiĂź 2 (soon to be manual)

Comment

Seems like a ton of effort for little gain, I'm with Austin! and pipeuy. Callie is an astounding example in my eyes, only you know what defects (if any) it has. From the public eye, no one will be able to tell the difference beyond a mileage readout.

I think there is something to be said about spending 7 years wrenching and working on a project to mold it into your vision. Developing feelings for inanimate objects probably isn't wise, but it would make me sad to see this car get dumped for another near equivalent example after that kind of bonding experience.

Comment

From that pic I can't tell which car is which :)

Seriously...in the 80s I spent $4600 (figure triple in today's $$s) to strip and paint a car and driving it eventually made me so neurotic I had to sell it....well actually traded it for a wooden boat which I figured would be less trouble to care for.

is it really worth THAT kind of money to exchange something you can and do love to drive, for the bragging rights of a garage queen ?
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

wow great comments.. thanks guys

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                    Developing feelings for inanimate objects probably isn't wise, but it would make me sad to see this car get dumped for another near equivalent example after that kind of bonding experience.
                    Definitely have the "feelings for inanimate objects" @zwill23. I'm really torn.

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                    From that pic I can't tell which car is which :)
                    Jeff you crack me up with your trolling. You’ve seen Callie up close, but I guess not since I finished the shadowline trim and interior trim color matching.

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                    is it really worth THAT kind of money to exchange something you can and do love to drive, for the bragging rights of a garage queen ?
                    "bragging rights' I couldn't give a damn less about. But you probably know that. I’m honestly drawn to the close to showroom condition aspect of it. Of course if it wasn't calypso I probably would never have bid either.

Originally posted by pipeuy View Post
                    Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                    I totally agree with Austin, those cars are so expensive at the moment that they can't be driven without thinking all the time about racking up the miles or being in any kind of accident.
                    I hear ya. The BaT car is basically a new vehicle, last of the E30 verts. Who wouldn’t want one if you were an E30 vert fanatic?

The whole garage queen thing is seriously unappealing. Not to mention dealing with a bone stock motor. I don't feel the need to OWN a time capsule / garage queen - would rather just see those cars in a museum as long as I could study their details up close.

I’m certainly not willing to park this car to keep the miles down. It’s not an investment to me. I also don’t have cash to burn so I’m not willing to mod low mile OEM parts.

So if I ended up with it I'd have to mothball:
                    - the interior
                    - full drivetrain
                    - the cluster (can’t stand the US all caps cluster)
                    - the airbag wheel

I’d have to sell off the mtech1 setup and Callie as well. On the plus side at that point I could fund the stroker. Ironic since it was seeing how beautiful the original euro spec car was that hooked me. I don't know anyone who would genuinely pick a DB car for appearance - it's something you settle for really. The world / plastic bumper cars look better to most people, but I still like the thinner metal euro bumper design visually more. I also continue to believe that an msport or mtech1 euro spec car with shadowline trim is the best looking e30.

I also owned a 771 for a while, but I still think the mtech2 kit looks best on a coupe.

Seems like a ton of effort for little gain, I'm with Austin! and pipeuy. Callie is an astounding example in my eyes, only you know what defects (if any) it has. From the public eye, no one will be able to tell the difference beyond a mileage readout.
                    No lie there. Callie’s just a treat to look at.

I think there is something to be said about spending 7 years wrenching and working on a project to mold it into your vision.
                    It’s certainly been a very satisfying experience.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Hi Brad

I see you are plugging away on project.

I finally bought a m30 motor for the Silver H bomb.
                      Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                        Thinking of the 3.1L stroker.. my favorite build is still tinkerputzer's.. Myster-E / bimmerheads ported head, MM pistons, S52 crank and rods, Schrick 284/272, IE rockers, whodwho MS. Between this thread and digger's I have the bases covered well.

It looks stock on the exterior, yet over 200lb ft and 210hp at the rear wheels..

Don't really need more than that in a vert, so the Vortech idea may get shelved. Besides already decided I need an E30 coupe hotrod in my life, after the IX build.
                        Spent an hour and a half on the phone yesterday with metric mechanic talking about stroker options. In the end I've built engines before, but I just don't have the time and equipment to take the on again. So I'm gonna go MM build given their incredible reputation and proximity.

Soon as this auction thing settles I'll likely be moving on a 3200 Sport/Rally, new clutch, lightweight flywheel and rebuilt G260. They're backlogged a good 6 months, so timing is great for a spring install.

The 3200 Sport Rally is basically MM's top 3200 Rally engine with a 3200 Sport cam. NA operation, S52 crank, H-beam chrome-moly rods, 10.5:1 or 11:1 compression - need to re-confirm that last bit. Keeping the dbilas, will probably end up using my RD long tube headers and will most likely go MS after first trying another ssquid tune.
                        Last edited by bradnic; 11-19-2018, 07:52 AM.

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                          Hi Brad

I see you are plugging away on project.

I finally bought a m30 motor for the Silver H bomb.
                          wow! is that the 4th car? Man I would love to see a couple of updated pics of your rides all in one place!

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                            So if I ended up with it I'd have to mothball:
                            - the interior
                            - full drivetrain
                            - the cluster (can’t stand the US all caps cluster)
                            - the airbag wheel

I’d have to sell off the mtech1 setup and Callie as well. On the plus side at that point I could fund the stroker. Ironic since it was seeing how beautiful the original euro spec car was that hooked me. I don't know anyone who would genuinely pick a DB car for appearance - it's something you settle for really. The world / plastic bumper cars look better to most people, but I still like the thinner metal euro bumper design visually more. I also continue to believe that an msport or mtech1 euro spec car with shadowline trim is the best looking e30.
                            I am happy to report that I've been outbid by $250.

Calling Metric Mechanic now :-)
                            Last edited by bradnic; 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Congrats to you on keeping this one! Might give Bimmerheads a call, too. They will be building a 3.0 M20 for me, eventually.
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Why not contact John (ForcedFirebird) he is closer to you and has documented results to his M20 builds....
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X