Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brief update:

sourced front and rear euro bumper hardware and bought new bumper trim and bumper chrome trim parts.

really torn on the MT1 stuff. I'm not a fan of the front spoiler at all. but I love the rear apron. may end up selling off the MT1 bits.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Sold the MT1 spoiler and apron to Aviator in Montana, who's been looking for an MT1 spoiler for a very long time... Coupe build thread here

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

EDIT: BMW terminology for these parts is confusing. Post has been updated to help clarify this. Also there are many combinations of these parts, so it's really easy to order the wrong stuff. I hope this post helps others

People usually call the metal part below the front bumper a "front valance". BMW calls this the "front panel".

BMW calls the plastic piece below the metal valance / front panel a "front spoiler" or "front apron". I've also seen BMW use "front lip spoiler" and "front diffuser", and people calling this "plastic valance" and "lower panel"

Also to be thorough:
        The rear metal bit below the bumper is actually part of the "tail panel" which goes all the way up the rear to the trunk lid. There is no "rear metal valance" part.

The plastic bolt on bits that are part of BMWs Mtech1 and 2 kits are also usually referred to as "front spoiler" and "rear apron"

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
        Unwrapped the euro-valance from Blunttech. Will be dropping it off at the paint shop later this week.
        EDIT: Found a GREAT 2007 euro valance post on e30tech from TD325IC (where are you now?)

ORDERED THE WRONG DAMN PART. it's for a plastic bumper euro car (bottom holes for integrated fogs and brake air ducts). So $250 mis-spent. I believe my mistake was looking up a euro car with same month/year build as my DB vert. The euro car must have had plastic bumpers already.

EDIT: It's the SAME front panel from my 91 318is US spec car - same part number on realoem. Cr@p what a waste of funds. Oh well.

There's also a very similar part without the oil cooler holes, 41-33-1-961-225. It was used in Europe

This metal front valance and spoiler setup is what I'm after (bmw press photo of a RHD car. I inverted it - see the license plate). Key are the fog light holes in that front panel which you can see below the bumper. They are the same size as MT1 and E30 M3 fogs.

EDIT: The press photo car has a 770 front panel/metal front valance (non-A/C version without cooling ducts). The front spoiler is also a non-A/C version - those are fake ducts

The euro bumper/valance/spoiler thing is super confusing on realoem. It depends on the age of the car you're chasing. you also have to match the "front panel" (metal valance) and front spoiler (also called front apron). Guess what - there are multiple versions of these for the same car! even the towing hooks have different configurations and part numbers. If you get "too new" a part you will end up with a part for a plastic bumper setup. This is what happened to me.

so I needed to do the following:

STEP 1 find the right front steel panel / metal valance with MT1 fog light holes (EDIT: definitely need the 41331933772 for an A/C car with chrome euro bumpers, 41331933770 for non-A/C)

STEP 2 know if it's an earlier or later metal valance, since the earlier ones need an additional narrow strip above the bumper (see below) EDIT: the 770 and 772 are later "1 piece metal euro valances" with the narrow upper piece integrated)

STEP 3 pick the right plastic front spoiler / lower piece to match the selected front panel/metal valance (see below). There are multiple types for each car with different part numbers, not interchangable. EDIT I originally went with 51711933510, even though it's actually the same plastic front spoiler that is used by US DB cars. My original one was warped and just didn't fit properly. it was also listed on different diagrams which was confusing - showed up for a euro 325i and the other bits were on a euro 323i.

UPDATE: Since writing this post I've decided to swap out the 51711933510 lower spoiler for the 51711943868 Jimmy Hill lip with A/C vents

Seemed to be 2 types of "early" front panels exist, pre 9/85 41331916986 and (9/85-9/87) 41331933772. A separate narrow trim 41331884353 is needed above the bumper if you use an earlier front panel. Call it a "two piece front panel").

UPDATE: the pre 9/85 "two piece front panel" has a different lower shape than the the 770 and 772 panels. They require different plastic lower valances. consider yourselves warned

There and later ones than that too which have the narrow trim piece above the bumper integrated into the front panel. What I'm not sure of is whether these later panels work with the euro chrome bumpers and have the MT1 holes. Probably safer to get the earlier 2 piece euro panel.

Euro 323i parts list (older car)

When I looked up a euro 325i convertible I ended up with one for euro plastic bumpers, despite the picture. No way to tell from the realoem listing! Even the "771" part is wrong per a pic from bavauto, even though it says 85-87.

EDIT: turns out the 771 part is already on the car per realoem! so it's a US diving board front panel. oy.

the 771 part - definitely WRONG!

here's the 772 part - certainly looks like the right one and it DOES have the top trim piece above the bumper.

and a pic of the same part without the cooling openings (probably the 770 part). the owner "rapide30ic" in NC was looking for a 772 to trade

EDIT: here's the 770 part - INDEED no cooling openings

So there are multiple versions listed depending on which euro E30 you're looking at.

ugh. pics would do wonders. seen a few valance threads but none with part numbers.

EDIT: found a single post from JasonC on the bumpers bumpers bumpers thread that may help - no part number, but it's probably 41331916986. I believe this is the early euro front panel without the narrow trim at top (separate part #7 on realoem diagram). It has the correct fog light holes. UNFORTUNATELY I don't know the part number and the realoem listing has several of them - including the wrong one I purchased.

[QUOTE=JasonC;1354713]It's off of any 83-85 euro car. And it uses the lip with the brake duct holes in it. The lip is on any 85 and back e30.

The last comment is about the plastic lower valance. apparently per SoCal323i there are 2 types, both pre-plastic bumper. the later one looks like the US DB lower lip/valance. My concern here is if I order the wrong front panel it may have the correct fog light holes but use a different lower valance/lip!

EDIT: now that I know more, that 2nd front spoiler actually looks like the 51711943868 "Jimmy Hill Lip" with the A/C vent holes.

EDIT2: A Jimmy Hill Lip will NOT work with a 2 piece early model metal valance.

SoCal323i's pics (the one on left and bottom with the brake ducts goes with JasonC's front panel pic):

This pic is of the larger 51711943868 spoiler installed. note cooling vents - 772 front panel:

UGH.

The 51711933510 lower valance from the euro 325i. It's the same part used on US DB cars with A/C. I definitely has the air temp sensor mount on the right too.
        (great pics and price on ECS). will it fit on a 772 front panel?

51711933402 from the euro 323i - no cooling vents = no-go for me.

UPDATE: more great info and pics in this post
        Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 08:58 AM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

all new window and door weatherstripping. REALLY looking forward to getting this on the car.

UPDATE: Missed the door outer seals -- there's 2 sets of quarter outers in the pic.. :-P

Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 08:59 AM.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

can you share the part #'s to the weather stripping, just to make sure I have all the ones I need for my restoration
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pilotskillse30 View Post
              can you share the part #'s to the weather stripping, just to make sure I have all the ones I need for my restoration
              +1. Thanks

Comment

awesome thread, I just picked up a calypso 91 vert myself. Although mine has the plastic bumpers. Keep up the progress it makes me motivated to work on mine.
                Porsche 911

Comment

well posting this AGAIN since the website lost my work.

there's alot of window related weatherstrip and seals on the car. I focused on 10 pieces along the base of the front and quarter windows and the vertical bits between same. Those were in the worst condition on my vert. There are more seals than this though - door seals, top seals, seals around the small front and rear quarter windows..

realoem has those 10 pieces I mentioned spread across 2 different pages. there's a third page with some info for the small front windows that you should look at as well.

Here are the 10 pieces I ordered from Tischer, along with a shot of the corresponding realoem pages:

door weatherstripping (4 pieces)
                  51211942821 - inner left (goes whole length of door)
                  51321924753 - outer left (shorter than inner)
                  51211942822 - inner right (goes whole length of door)
                  51321924754 - outer right (shorter than inner)

quarter window weather stripping/gaskets (6 pieces)
                  51361942823 - inner left
                  51361942824 - inner right
                  51361933751 - outer left
                  51361933752 - outer right
                  51361922167 - vertical left
                  51361922168 - vertical right

[

additional seals and weatherstripping for the small front windows here
                  Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:00 AM.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by dubsport87 View Post
                    awesome thread, I just picked up a calypso 91 vert myself. Although mine has the plastic bumpers. Keep up the progress it makes me motivated to work on mine.
                    Calypso rules! good for you man. Power top too? must be post 9/90 or 10/90 build... Post up a link to your build thread if you end up doing one...

I've got the plastic bumpers on our 91 318is and we're retrofitting them on our 88ix coupe. So definitely glad I have a DB car and am going the euro-bumper route!

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Brad I dont know how your brains dont hurt from that valence project..lol

As for the "exterior trim" pic just above be aware that parts 7 & 9 which say "door" are IN FACT for the rear quarter panel. They are corrrectly positioned in the diagram being behind the vertical strip (#12) that mounts to the leading edge of the rear glass but they are INCORRECTLY labeled in both realoem AND ETK.

I have ordered them in the past, posted about it and at the moment have a replacement for 1 sitting at the dealer waiting to be picked up.

Once again keep up the amazing work.
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

What a process to get these cars where we want!
                        84 325e Burgundrot S52 M Tech 1.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250109

Comment

Originally posted by Aviator View Post
                          What a process to get these cars where we want!
                          If you consider that all the time we are working on our cars we are NOT in the bar paying retail for beer, we actually profit by literally (and figuratively) pissing away $$thousands in the driveway.

Its a win win

...and your car looks spectacular !!
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Quick update. Will post more pics later this week.

Putting the OEM radio back in as I scored a functioning one. Need to remove the rear amp but don't want to cut wires. may need to make a harness for that unless I can find someone who already makes them.

Still looking into euro-bumper wiring requirements. Not getting much info from Levent unfortunately so he must be busy.

Bumpers back from the platers late next week. Hard to justify the money I've put into them when ECS sells repro chrome euro-bumpers with all new OEM bits. I bought the front kit as it was cheaper and included all the hardware and trim I needed to replace anyway. The ECS chrome bits came from Poland and looked to be of excellent quality.

Ordered all new exhaust hardware for the Strömung. Hope to get that mounted up in the next week or two.

Just shipped my interior to the shop. Seat hardware will be rebuilt including new shocks.
                            Also sent spare set of head rests and rear mounting brackets, and front heated seat elements.

Cloth for centers, headrests, door and rear inserts arrived

Picked up my hardtop from ceeker in Toronto. Great trip and a terrific guy.

The hardtop is in amazingly good condition and has a tan headliner which matches my interior. It must have been basement/inside stored because there is no damage at all.

Just need to tack down the sides of the headliner with headliner adhesive and give it a good scrub. Ordered new plastic mounting covers for the hardtop as the pins were broken on the current ones. Lucky to have covers at all to be honest. Looks like the OEM bag for them is still available too.

My AC works GREAT! reman compressor, R134 seal conversion and expansion valve. Kept the original OEM condensor. had to have the temp up as it was too cold for the trip on the highway, even with 90 degree temps :-)
                            Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:01 AM.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                              Brad I dont know how your brains dont hurt from that valence project..lol
                              Yeah I hear that. 2 hours of research. thank goodness for the Internet. it was great to find pics of all those bits online!! None of this info was collected in one place though, which is why I took the time to write it up.

As for the "exterior trim" pic just above be aware that parts 7 & 9 which say "door" are IN FACT for the rear quarter panel. They are corrrectly positioned in the diagram being behind the vertical strip (#12) that mounts to the leading edge of the rear glass but they are INCORRECTLY labeled in both realoem AND ETK.
                              Yeah that drawing is definitely confusing. It's NOT just the rear, and it's not for the main door window opening. It's BOTH the front window and rear quarter window. So if you "split" the drawing in half vertically it starts to make sense.

Once again keep up the amazing work.
                              You too Jeff!! lovin the A/C and headlamp stuff.
                              Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:02 AM.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

euro-bumper rechrome finished - should get it back by end of week.
                                interior is progressing too :-)
                                Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:23 AM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X