Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digger View Post
    With a heavy vert you want more cubic inches, nice compression, mild cam , correct Pistons and it will be a torquey beast
    Preach digger preach. Tell me about the mild cam though. remember I have your favorite ITBs on this car.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
      Preach digger preach. Tell me about the mild cam though. remember I have your favorite ITBs on this car.
      you just want a mild cam because its a heavier vert. Preserves more torque below 2500rpm, especially below 2000rpm, so it would make a better cruiser.
      as long as you arent after a screamer the ENEM Z45 or dbilas 284 looks like a good choice

yeah that manifold has runners that are 2-3" too short, chops out the midrange
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Road trip to Raleigh! My good bud MPoser and I just picked up his new to him 92 vert and are driving back to Chicago. She's a cruiser.. 124k miles, LSD, all original, super super clean, fully functional electric top and a bonus along with the hardtop. Needs sportier shocks and mtechnic springs. That's pretty much it.

Here's a preview of the hardtop bonus. It certainly looks legit - it even has the same OEM convertible top clamp brackets from the car built in to it. But I can't find a record of that part number anywhere. I don't have my e30 accessories catalog to look through, and I can't remember where I've seen OEM versions of these racks before. Besides there are a couple of decent aftermarket carts out there readily available for < $150 shipped, or even better just setup an overhead lift for the top. Cool novelty factor though

Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 05:40 PM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

What a great find that car is...always been a big fan of Laguna. I also had that exact same stand and yes it's the real deal...VERY heavy and mine had a bend in it which made it a PITA to use and even more of a pain to transport. It's also bigger than the hard top itself so I opted for the $99 made in Canada eBay rack which tucks nicely in the corner of my car port.

Did you get the OE cover with it
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Ha thanks Jeff! Now I'm wondering if this is your old rack. There is a slight bend in one of the parts, but it looks easily correctable. Couldn't fit everything in the car so plopped down $180 to ship the larger bits. damn.

And yeah I do have the OEM "Case", 54211972685. You can still buy it, cheapest at ECS for $230. whoa. I know for sure now what the 2 velcro pockets it has on each side are for.
            Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 05:37 PM.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

My $99 stand came with a cover although it's not tailored so is more of a dust shield. My OE cover is quite different than the one you posted so I'll try to get pics up for reference. I'm also certain that that's not my old stand. We were clearing out the storage unit for the move south and it was bent enough that I couldn't get the hardtop off without taking a cold chisel to the rack to separate the uprights...so I put it out of its bent misery.
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

dang, you were in Raleigh! Where in town was it?
                '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Found my 89 E30 Accessories Katalog. No record of the hardtop stand, but a pretty sweet pic of an OEM manual hardtop winch. Note use of the hardtop roof rack mounts. So you could use the OEM cover with this.

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                  dang, you were in Raleigh! Where in town was it?
                  Between Raleigh and Durham. It was Scott Barnes's car (long term co-organizer of The Vintage, not Scott Sturdy). I think it was in NC for several years with the PO. 2 long term owners and Scott.

I had the pleasure of inspecting all the electric top bits yesterday. The top motor was replaced in 2003 or 2005 with a new OEM unit. Everything looks brand new, even the damn cloth tape. I've never seen an E30 like this before.

New electric top lid arrived.

No Mtech1 for the Vintage. Should get it finished this summer though. Looking great, but still a large amount of tedious, detailed front spoiler work to do on the slots. Body shop had zero interest in doing it, and I really trust those guys so don't want any issues :-) so I brought the part back and will 3d print a sanding tool to clean up the notches. Will post pics later.
                  Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 05:36 PM.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Found my 89 E30 Accessories Katalog. No record of the hardtop stand, but a pretty sweet pic of an OEM manual hardtop winch. Note use of the hardtop roof rack mounts. So you could use the OEM cover with this.
                    What does it mean "you could use the OEM cover with this"? Do you mean the the OEM cloth cover has cut-outs for the mounting points?

I really need a winch as I don't have the garage floor space to store a top. I have the OEM vert roof racks and I've thought about using them as attachment points. I wonder if the oem winch uses the same mounting adapters as the oem roof racks? The adapters are basically metal hooks that the roof rack bases attach and lock onto.
                    sigpic
                    January 2012 COTM

Comment

yes the OEM cloth cover. You could wrap the hardtop in the OEM cloth cover (case) and winch it after. No question the hardtop roof rack mounting points are being used. Here's a close up of the mount area on that pic, best I could get

RealOEM for the OEM hardtop lift from the pic above, with part numbers. Also shown in thread below.

Or you and I could get sane and just do this (from this thread)
                      Last edited by bradnic; 09-30-2017, 06:19 PM.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
                        I wonder if the oem winch uses the same mounting adapters as the oem roof racks? The adapters are basically metal hooks that the roof rack bases attach and lock onto.
                        pics?

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

No Mtech1 for the Vintage. Should get it finished this summer though. Looking great, but still a large amount of tedious, detailed front spoiler work to do on the slots. Body shop had zero interest in doing it, and I really trust those guys so don't want any issues :-) so I brought the part back and will 3d print a sanding tool to clean up the notches. Will post pics later.
                          Didn't mention the other mtech1 bits:
                          -- rear is in final primer and looks perfect
                          -- side skirts were painted but need some channel touch up and wet sanding
                          -- rear spoiler painted panel is waiting for the front and rears to be done to paint everything at once.

All the parts were stripped to bare material - no previous paint left on anything. Here's what the front piece looks like right now. It's the furthest from ready.

A particularly difficult area to repair. was worse not grinding out the paint layers from the channels, but the Dremel bit unfortunately dug into the sides too.

No real ground lost though - we'd still be in the same situation trying to prep the channels with the paint layers still in place. A 3d printed tool seems to be the only practical way to get this repaired.

Nice job on the fog light hole cutout

And all the mounting points except one they missed have been repaired

They tried to preserve the part number area
                          Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 11:59 AM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Could the hard top rack be for the e36 rather than an e30 part? I can't imagine them being too terribly different in concept.
                            Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Hi Patrick

I believe that rack is for both E30 and E36, only sold in Europe. Everything is NLA now, but once I found the part numbers I finally turned up some real pics of it on a German E30 site

In German: http://e30-talk.com/topic/107815-har...ung-abdeckung/
                              Hi!
                              Who can help me.
                              I bought a hardtop and there is at the top of the bar a 4-way mount for the lifter attached. Unfortunately only three plastic covers have been included.
                              In the parts catalog I do not come to the desired part, is not shown.
                              Who can help me, either with the part number or maybe one has such a part left.

Thanks in advance, Tom
                              In the ETK at the top of universal accessories, then at Hardtoplift, the cover is shown,
                              No: 82129401043 There is however: Part no longer available.

Greetings Matthias

NS: For the lifter, you only need the rear two holders. The front you only need for the carrier system (skis, roof box, surfboards etc.) screw the front eifach off.

and this vert looks like it's completely stock and straight out of the euro accessories catalog. gorgeous, but no mtech1 side skirts. just love how only the trim piece on the mtech1 spoiler gets painted

EDIT: If you look closely in the roof winch pic you'll see that the hardtop is covered with the same OEM cover "case" I posted a pic of earlier. That's not the case with the rack stand in post 496 of this thread - the cover for that rack stand is actually different.
                              Last edited by bradnic; 08-08-2020, 08:10 AM.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

^^ very cool. So the winch and roof racks use the same attachment. I'll get mine out of storage and take a pic. I'd like to mimic the oem winch, thanks for the pics.
                                sigpic
                                January 2012 COTM

Comment

Working...
                                X