Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those were indeed the 3 folks I was considering.
    I've spent years digging through m20 build threads. Digger's my guru, as is Nando. When I decided to go stroker I was heading down the Jared/Tinkerputzer route. For ECUs I am planning on whodwho's standalone MS-in-motronic-case setup, which I hope is finally running MS3 now.

Key to my sourcing decision was deciding I wasn't going to assemble the long block myself. This decision came after I was convinced I wanted MM pistons and rods along with the S52 crank for max displacement, highest possible compression and minimal reciprocating mass. That left the cam decision open, which in the end I deferred to MM on since this is a convertible and the build is for street use by BOTH my wife and I. The last factor was around tolerancing on the assembly. I have admittedly drunk MM koolaid on that front through their 16 page m20 reference guide and the 90 minute phone call with their builders. I'm certain John would be as good or better, and I suspect BH would be too but I just don't know them well enough.

Finally on the dbilas, if I need to swap them out for RHDs I'll figure that out later after the initial build's done.

Comparing the 3 options:
    - If I lived closer to John I would have gone with him and looked over his shoulder til he kicked me out of his shop
    - I dig MYSTER-E / Shanty's work at B-heads. I honestly don't know Matt and the rest of the folks's engine work that well though.
    - MM is about 5 hours away and has an insane pedigree with M20 work. They also started with transmissions so I can get a rebuilt G260 from them too.

If I lived in SoCal I would probably go BH or IE, but I'd prob still end up with MM rally pistons and h-beam rods.
    If I lived down south I'd go with John for sure.
    Last edited by bradnic; 11-19-2018, 03:39 PM.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Why not contact John (ForcedFirebird) he is closer to you and has documented results to his M20 builds....

Thanks for the plug :D
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

for the record, John and I swapped a few PMs before I pulled the trigger with Jim - who called me on a Sunday and talked my ears off :-)

What a great way to lighten your wallet

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
          for the record, John and I swapped a few PMs before I pulled the trigger with Jim - who called me on a Sunday and talked my ears off :-)

What a great way to lighten your wallet

I did the same to Simon last Sunday lol. All good!
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

^ this is why I love r3v.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Im glad you kept Callie!
              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                Im glad you kept Callie!
                Thanks Stan! My wife and apparently most of the r3v community are as well haha. me too honestly. That 15k mile car was gorgeous, but didn't have what I really love about the E30 exterior design. Now that I finally pulled the trigger on the stroker, it's going to be exactly what I want.

btw can't wait to see the S54 install in person. Those last pics

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Thanks Stan! My wife and apparently most of the r3v community are as well haha. me too honestly. That 15k mile car was gorgeous, but didn't have what I really love about the E30 exterior design. Now that I finally pulled the trigger on the stroker, it's going to be exactly what I want.

btw can't wait to see the S54 install in person. Those last pics
                  Me too lol! Its going a bit slow right now with travel.
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I'm going to live vicariously through your engine build because I'm on hold before doing it again. I went with a Bimmerheads head and bottom end parts from VAC that I put together for a 2.9L. Given a redo, I would probably have one shop take care of it all at once.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

wow! is that the 4th car? Man I would love to see a couple of updated pics of your rides all in one place!
                      I have eight e30 now. I never ment planned to have that many.
                      I have was going to move my silver H bomb home to work on it this weekend . One of my family members parked their car in my spot and left for the weekend. Almost finished with my B6 3.5 3” exhaust.

Shant from Beamerheads did a awesome job on my m30 head. I have a Hartge m30 head that I would to have them refresh for me in the future. I ment Shant and did business with him. He is a great guy.
                      Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

More RD header news

So @e30m3s54turbo tipped me off this morning on an ebay auction.. took about 2 minutes to pull the trigger once I recognized what they were.

*original* Racing Dynamics M20 snake headers manufactured by ANSA. They are E34 headers though for the 525i. That basically means:
                        - the rear header will hit the firewall without mods
                        - the 325i oil cooler setup interferes with the front header

I'll get these modded per this strictlyeta.net post, then send them out for ceramic coating.

For the curious, this is what the E30 RD header looks like. Note the rear header aims down

And this is what the E34 RD header looked like new. You can see it's straighter, since the engine bay is longer.

Note in this pic how the front header hugs the block. Note also the angled oil filter and lack of oil cooler lines. Not sure that setup will work in an E30 because of the motor mount - time will tell. Maybe someone with a 325e can chime in as I think those cars came without oil coolers.. maybe they had the angled oil filter mount too.

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

The eta oil filter screws flat against the block (so the filter points to the passenger wheel). I'll send you a pic later.

Wondering if the filter mount from an e34 would bolt up and at least spare modding the front set
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Interesting.. I definitely need to keep the oil cooler though, so I'll have to get schooled by a real m20 guy - like digger or nando maybe.. or just dig through the m20 forum

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Last pic in post #611 doesn't have the oil cooler lines hooked up, and appears the header will interfere with them.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                                Last pic in post #611 doesn't have the oil cooler lines hooked up, and appears the header will interfere with them.
                                yeah realized that after studying my car. not only that the motor mount isn't installed either lol. it's the same 325i oil filter mount just rotated, and it would never work in that position!

Gonna need a remote filter setup or a way to mount the filter vertically - I'm not giving up my AC. Here's my stock setup viewed from below - the cooler lines should clear based on the ebay photo.

I've seen several vertically mounted oil filters on cars, but I wonder if there are potential issues.
                                Last edited by bradnic; 12-11-2018, 08:38 PM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X