Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That front end. om nom nom

Comment

Lord this is awesome! Mtech1 is the jam.
      -Nick
      Originally posted by 87e30
      First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

$400 for a tech 1 kit shipped over.?

Last on over here went for nearly £700 without postage.

Gone are the days of even us finding cheap Tech 1 kits anymore, as they are in more demand than the Tech 2 kits.

Nice car BTW.:D
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

If you have bought items from me, please leave feedback below.
        If you are a BUYER, Check My Feedback.:up:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=183860

Check out my Euro Build Thread
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215557

Comment

Originally posted by rav320uk View Post
          $400 for a tech 1 kit shipped over.?

Last on over here went for nearly £700 without postage.

Gone are the days of even us finding cheap Tech 1 kits anymore, as they are in more demand than the Tech 2 kits.

Nice car BTW.:D
          I found it for 270 Pounds on ebay UK, with the bumpers
          I had seen a few sets at wreckers in Germany but they were all rusted out/broken

Comment

That's a good price.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

If you have bought items from me, please leave feedback below.
            If you are a BUYER, Check My Feedback.:up:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=183860

Check out my Euro Build Thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215557

Comment

beautiful build
              We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
              www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ

let's see it on the ground!
                I'm afraid it's too late for that!

yay airtools!

Burned the bushings out

That's all for today, my back hurts from squirming around under the car

Pulled the rear calipers, they are rebuilt, less than 1k miles on them, up for sale if anyone wants them, I'll be using 750iL brakes

Comment

got the RTABs out. Used a 36mm socket and 6 inch C clamp
                  it kept sliding off so I cut some PVC tubing with a slot in it, so it sit semi flat

PO must have replaced the RTABS, pretty good condition

Got some goodies in the mail, bolt-in rear sway bar mounts
                  My TAs already have welded mount

excellent fitment and quality, and cheaper than the welded sheet-metal type
                  only issue was some of the hardware was improper length, only 2-3 threads were engaging into the mount

installed

nice plate to keep from ripping the hardware out of the sheet metal

I've also pressed the bearings out of the rear TAs, no pics of that because I was busy cursing, it was a PITA

From just mocking up the e36 hubs look to be a direct fit (they use the same exact bearing as e30 hubs)
                  on top of that they will reduce the rear track width by about 10mm on each side, which means more room for wider / lower offset wheels

will find out soon
                  Last edited by pandaboo911; 04-12-2013, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Here is the comparison between standard e36 (non Ti non m3) rear hub and the e30 rear hub.

the e36 hub is about ~12mm shorter. The result of that means the brake rotor will be 12mm closer to the dust shield / e-brake / caliper mount / etc.
                    The rotor I'm using will actually make contact with the dust shield, so I trimmed it like so:

The e-brake mounts to this dust shield, and Im keeping the e-brake for mad skidz!!
                    That bent tab is the brake line mount, I left it on so the brake lines wouldn't just dangle
                    mounted up

The dust shield is cut at a diameter of a little less than 160mm, just enough so that it can actually fit inside the rotor, and allow the rotor to come in the full 12mm, here's a pic of that ( I haven't received my rotors just yet, but the stock rotors have the same inner diameter, so I used those for the time being.)

The inside of the rotor actually has a machined surface that allows the e-brake pads to grip
                    So here arises the next problem, the rotors have a small lip deeper in the hat, you can sort of see it here

I hope I can adjust the e-brake enough (move the pads closer together), to clear this lip.
                    the lip is slightly larger on the rotors I'll actually be using, the stock rotors clear just fine.

The consequence of this will be increased pad wear, as the pad will be riding on the lip, and the surface is rough (unmachined), but I'm okay with that.

Comment

So the e36 hubs are a no-go. the lip inside the rotor is much larger than I expected.
                      It won't be possible to retain the e-brake without running brake rotor spacers.

Rotor spacers would probably run me $200+
                      I ordered up a pair of e30 m3 hubs instead for $140 each
                      :(
                      Last edited by pandaboo911; 04-17-2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

uwww damn! This build delivers.
                        Click here to leave me feedback on our transactions. :p

Comment

do you plan to reinstall the dust shield. i'm thinking you might catch a lot of debris between the rotors and pads without it.
                          Much wow
                          I hate 4 doors

Comment

awesome, hope to see this in person one day
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                              do you plan to reinstall the dust shield. i'm thinking you might catch a lot of debris between the rotors and pads without it.
                              Yeah i'm gonna go to picknpull and pick up another set of dust shields. Just gonna cut the outer lip to clear the larger rotors.

I think the shields main purpose is to keep debris out of the handbrake mechanism, don't think it does much to keep stuff away from the calipers.

On my last e30 I was doing some spirited driving on hwy 9 and a small rock wedged itself between the pad and rotor, the pad overheated immediately and the fuild boiled. Lost all brakes doing around 75mph on the straightaway, think I pooped a lil :o
                              I wish I kept that rotor, had a nice slot ground almost all the way through one side

this was with the dust shields on.

Comment

i now regret taking my dust shields off

Comment

Working...
                                X