Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pandaboo911
    replied
    Here is the comparison between standard e36 (non Ti non m3) rear hub and the e30 rear hub.

the e36 hub is about ~12mm shorter. The result of that means the brake rotor will be 12mm closer to the dust shield / e-brake / caliper mount / etc.
    The rotor I'm using will actually make contact with the dust shield, so I trimmed it like so:

The e-brake mounts to this dust shield, and Im keeping the e-brake for mad skidz!!
    That bent tab is the brake line mount, I left it on so the brake lines wouldn't just dangle
    mounted up

The dust shield is cut at a diameter of a little less than 160mm, just enough so that it can actually fit inside the rotor, and allow the rotor to come in the full 12mm, here's a pic of that ( I haven't received my rotors just yet, but the stock rotors have the same inner diameter, so I used those for the time being.)

The inside of the rotor actually has a machined surface that allows the e-brake pads to grip
    So here arises the next problem, the rotors have a small lip deeper in the hat, you can sort of see it here

I hope I can adjust the e-brake enough (move the pads closer together), to clear this lip.
    the lip is slightly larger on the rotors I'll actually be using, the stock rotors clear just fine.

The consequence of this will be increased pad wear, as the pad will be riding on the lip, and the surface is rough (unmachined), but I'm okay with that.

Leave a comment:

• pandaboo911
    replied
    got the RTABs out. Used a 36mm socket and 6 inch C clamp
    it kept sliding off so I cut some PVC tubing with a slot in it, so it sit semi flat

PO must have replaced the RTABS, pretty good condition

Got some goodies in the mail, bolt-in rear sway bar mounts
    My TAs already have welded mount

excellent fitment and quality, and cheaper than the welded sheet-metal type
    only issue was some of the hardware was improper length, only 2-3 threads were engaging into the mount

installed

nice plate to keep from ripping the hardware out of the sheet metal

I've also pressed the bearings out of the rear TAs, no pics of that because I was busy cursing, it was a PITA

From just mocking up the e36 hubs look to be a direct fit (they use the same exact bearing as e30 hubs)
    on top of that they will reduce the rear track width by about 10mm on each side, which means more room for wider / lower offset wheels

will find out soon
    Last edited by pandaboo911; 04-12-2013, 12:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pandaboo911
    replied
    Originally posted by RUFFLZ

let's see it on the ground!
    I'm afraid it's too late for that!

yay airtools!

Burned the bushings out

That's all for today, my back hurts from squirming around under the car

Pulled the rear calipers, they are rebuilt, less than 1k miles on them, up for sale if anyone wants them, I'll be using 750iL brakes

Leave a comment:

• blunttech
    replied
    beautiful build

Leave a comment:

• rav320uk
    replied
    That's a good price.

Leave a comment:

• pandaboo911
    replied
    Originally posted by rav320uk View Post
    $400 for a tech 1 kit shipped over.?

Last on over here went for nearly £700 without postage.

Gone are the days of even us finding cheap Tech 1 kits anymore, as they are in more demand than the Tech 2 kits.

Nice car BTW.:D
    I found it for 270 Pounds on ebay UK, with the bumpers
    I had seen a few sets at wreckers in Germany but they were all rusted out/broken

Leave a comment:

• rav320uk
    replied
    $400 for a tech 1 kit shipped over.?

Last on over here went for nearly £700 without postage.

Gone are the days of even us finding cheap Tech 1 kits anymore, as they are in more demand than the Tech 2 kits.

Nice car BTW.:D

Leave a comment:

• Butler
    replied
    Lord this is awesome! Mtech1 is the jam.

Leave a comment:

• Andy348
    replied
    That front end. om nom nom

Leave a comment:

• pandaboo911
    replied
    thx for the motivation guys :D

my brother just bought a new TRM turbo kit for his e36, so might just buy his old one off him and run a bottom mount s52 tarbo.. so tempting

this weekend I'll be tackling the rear subframe, swapping out the old rubber for poly, and start on the 5 lug so I can get this thing on all 4 wheels, I've just about had enough of working in that cramped garage

Originally posted by brian52555 View Post

What kind of wheels are those?
    They are some sort of RH mesh wheels, I have very litte information on them. I think they were meant for an e28
    Last edited by pandaboo911; 04-05-2013, 12:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Absolutely love it. It's going to be a beauty, and a monster to boot.

Leave a comment:

• brian52555
    replied
    fap fap fap fap fap

What kind of wheels are those?

Great job, hope to catch you at a meet sometime.

Leave a comment:

• einstein57
    replied
    I hate you very much. That is all

Leave a comment:

• kingston
    replied
    Epic build!

Leave a comment:

• smerfs
    replied
    subbed. This is one is turning out well :D