Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by econti View Post
    swapping a M50 won't stop you shorting things from the battery chief
    I know... :( But it would probably result in more time driving the car than time under it fixing dumb stuff.
    -Dee
    5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
    IG: @deebelmont

Comment

dude im gonna bitch slap some sense into you

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
        dude im gonna bitch slap some sense into you
        You should, but I'll find a way to f*ck that up too, like by living across the country.
        -Dee

Comment

lol i think you need to take a break from drive train shit and focus on some cosmetics for a bit. it'll shift your focus and re motivate you. I do this all the time

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

So finally about time I update this thread. Car is officially working again, my crank sensor went bad so I ended up getting a known good one from a member here for like $30. I should still maybe get another brand new OE to be on the safe side. But it took me a little while to figure out but once I took a log of the cranking and saw all the dead spots in the graph I knew it was the sensor. Got it running again and cleaned up my coil pack wiring a little bit.

The car sat for most of the winter doing nothing, So I ordered a new manifold from Otis and after some small fitment tweaks got it back and before installing to be safe I put some reliefs to where the gasket goes to the cylinder head after seeing how Buttchug had to do that. I also grinded a little of the T2 flange to make it flow a little nicer. Work isn't amazing but it'll do for me. I will say though Otis is a damn good fabricator and very easy to deal with / responsive I am more than thrilled with his work as many others are too!

Did some other little things to get the car feeling just a bit better. Cut the original shifter, drilled a hole and tapped it so it is a stud like all the japanese style shifters. I did this to put a tomei shift knob on because I prefer it over the bmw one. Also got some SLR e46 on e30 lollipop bushings to adjust the caster and wheel position a bit more due to the homebrew e36 on e30 style suspension I have on my car.

I found these odd but really cool three piece wheels on craiglist so I went and picked them up. I think they are Napre wheels from Japan. Regardless they are a really good size for the e30 16x7.5 not sure of the offset but they fit great and I like them. Found another black fender so I put that on because I hit the other one with my old wheel setup then drove the car around a bunch to school, work, ect. IT IS AMAZING having a decent reliable fun car to drive when the weather is nice out. I ended up driving 1.5 hours to racewaypark drove Friday Night Drift Party, and drove home with basically zero issues.

So now after the car did well at FNDP it was back to doing stuff in prep for EAST COAST BASH which was this past weekend. Decided to finally do something about how ugly my car is so I spray painted it. Before you give me a bunch of hate the car isn't nice enough to justify a professional respray and I would rather use that money towards finishing school.

Had to rush last minute to get the car back together for East Coast Bash since it was still mostly apart from painting it. So I did all that after work on Friday and barely finish in time so I could get some sleep before needing to leave at 5:30am Saturday. It was tight but definitely worth all the work because ECB was probably one of the greatest weekends of my life so far. Nothing but awesome driving, good friends, partying and general good vibes. Here are some of the few pictures I took of the two days there:

The car was amazing all weekend. I drove both days and between the clutch fan and my secondary electric fan I didn't see temps above like 190 ever after doing multiple laps on limiter. Running the stock M42 at 8psi has been one of the better choices I have made with this thing. It is enough power to drift, but not enough that you can just put your foot down and spin tire. I learned a ton about car control and I seemed to progress a lot over the course of the weekend. I was linking both tracks but Sunday afternoon and got bumped from C group to B group which is cool. I am super happy with this car, but there is still a bunch of things I need to do to it like:

- put poly engine mounts in (solid ones vibrate wayyyyy to much)
            - rear camber toe kit to zero the back out for optimal tire wear
            - Align the front better and add a little more camber (because I have gnarly outer edge wear on my front tires)
            - lower the rear just a touch
            - add front and rear valances (also side skirts)
            - make my exhaust better??? (I might be too lazy for this though)
            - fix a couple small oil leaks
            - replace hydraulic handbrake soft lines (one leaks)
            - probably more things I can't think of right now.

I am also tempted to bump to boost from the 8psi it is at to the hks wastegate that is 14.7psi I'm a little hesitant on this though because I am still on stock head gasket and head bolts. I do not want to push my luck on this. I know people run like 10-11psi on a stock m42 but they also don't bring it to the track and abuse it on red line under full boost.

ECB had tons of media coverage so I will post more pictures of the car once I start finding them online ;)
            -Dee

Comment

Me looking like I know what I am doing:
              IMG_4024 by photography.B, on Flickr

My buddy Andrew:
              IMG_5961 by photography.B, on Flickr

IMG_4262 by photography.B, on Flickr

More of my car doing stuff:
              IMG_5193 by photography.B, on Flickr

IMG_5188 by photography.B, on Flickr

IMG_5121 by photography.B, on Flickr

IMG_5117 by photography.B, on Flickr

IMG_5115 by photography.B, on Flickr

This dude Diamond Fab absolutely kills it. I love watching him shred.
              5840 by photography.B, on Flickr

IMG_0247 by photography.B, on Flickr

IMG_0242 by photography.B, on Flickr

IMG_0241 by photography.B, on Flickr

Talked to this guy Danny on track, he's got an SR20 powered e30 and honestly I am a little jealous I personally wouldn't mind an SR swap in my car hehe
              IMG_0106 by photography.B, on Flickr

Super clean e36 with a LSx I believe:
              IMG_4645 by photography.B, on Flickr

Probably one of my all time favorite cars 4 door e36 with a 1jz-gte
              IMG_3693 by photography.B, on Flickr

Some more of my junk rocket:

EDIT* Had to add the three wheelin' photo to this post for coolness.

Sorry the last few pictures are massive, Here are a few videos to check out though to make up for it!

Okay I think I am done spamming this thread with event coverage. More updates to follow guys! ;)
              Last edited by ccsdo5; 06-03-2017, 11:29 AM.
              -Dee

Comment

From what I can see on my little phone screen that looks like a pretty decent DIY spray-paint job man! Looks heaps better than before. Glad to hear it's working more consistently, nothing more frustrating than only being able to look at your car and not drive it.
                1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
                1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
                1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
                ...And a couple others...

Comment

Wow, your car is looking way better these days. Your thread always reminds me that I'd love to try drifting mine, it looks like so much fun, but there's no good place to do it here, the local track is expensive and the walls are really close to the track. Plus these cars are just too damn hard to replace these days.

That 1JZ powered E36 though, why would you do that? A turbo M50 is just as good and way cheaper/easier.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by stanhayward View Post
                    From what I can see on my little phone screen that looks like a pretty decent DIY spray-paint job man! Looks heaps better than before. Glad to hear it's working more consistently, nothing more frustrating than only being able to look at your car and not drive it.
                    Thanks! But yeah it is wayyyy better to drive it than to just look at it broken.

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    Wow, your car is looking way better these days. Your thread always reminds me that I'd love to try drifting mine, it looks like so much fun, but there's no good place to do it here, the local track is expensive and the walls are really close to the track. Plus these cars are just too damn hard to replace these days.

That 1JZ powered E36 though, why would you do that? A turbo M50 is just as good and way cheaper/easier.
                    Honestly you should just try it once. It is addicting. But I agree these things are getting hard to replace but so are 240's at this point. I know a turbo m50 can be done easier but there is something just so wrong but right about putting some sorta Japanese engine in bmw to me.

So last week I put my matching wheels on in the rear so I could drive my car down to Maryland which is like 4 hours from me. I've been working down there recently and wanted to go to a event Friday after work so it made more sense to drive the car down then leave after work. The car did awesome and drove pretty well on the highway too. Using it as a daily driver though is pretty fun.

So I got to clubloose pretty late on friday so I only got about 30 minutes of seat time after driving for like 5 hours in traffic which sucked. But hung out at the bar and Saturday got a decent amount of driving in. It was a blast and I have definitely been improving at sliding this thing around. But since clubloose is over at raceway park we got to do the most american thing this weekend and drag our drift cars! Rules were the car had to be drifting on track prior to dragging it and the only thing we could adjust was tire pressure. My time was pretty embarrassing my first run was like 15.5 because I spun first off the line and my second was definitely faster but I don't know the time my buddy has a video that I need to check out for it. It was an awesome weekend though, I love this place and everyone who is apart of it; nothing but good vibes.

My did however break twice over the weekend. First time I drifted the bank put the car in third and wasn't able to shift again because the b*tch pin for the shifter carrier somehow fell out. I was able to fix it quickly with a bolt and jam nut with lock tight before drag your drift car. But then after on the way home the jesus clip fell off the selector rod fell off and I was stuck in fourth gear as it was smacking against the driveshaft driving down the road. Thankfully my buddy towed his e36 so I was able to take the clip off his shifter to make it home. But it sucked to change on the wet ground in a cvs parking lot. At least there was a rainbow right???

This week I have some free time so I plan on dropping the rear subframe so I weld on the camber toe correction kit and some reinforcements so I can not have a jacked up alignment in the rear anymore and maybe get some better tire wear. Also need to do a lot of maintenance to the poor thing and get rid of these solid condor engine/ tranny mounts.
                    -Dee

Comment

I like the blue!

Comment

So drove another event this weekend at englishtown, it was HOT! The car performed great temps were around 180 idling with e-fan on and about 190-195 after a single lap. I saw as high as 225ish after doing lap after lap after lap due to almost no one being on the front track, I had to start doing cool down laps. I am considering a bigger radiator but my issue is I do not want to get rid of clutch fan or fan shroud since they help soooo much verses just an electric fan. I could also figure out a hood vent to release some of the hot air and that might help too, but also driving the car hard when it is 95 degrees outside I can't complain with my temps. My diff almost fell out of the car too all four bolts for it were loose and the car was clunking really bad. Got them tightened up and went back out to drive again 8-)

Pictures of car shredding:

Sadly my car started have an issue on the second day of the event. I have begun to start shooting oil out of my valve cover breather and it got all over the engine bay. I installed a catch can from the valve cover and after every 4 or so laps of thrashing the car on limiter It begins to fill up. So after a while of having basically no blow by it has gotten really bad my fear is I cracked a piston ring or something since that seems to be the weak point of these engines. Will be doing a compression test this week and maybe even a leak down test to try and see what the problem is. This engine has never been opened and has 150,000+ miles prior to turboing and drift abuse.

Is it a bad idea to route a catch can that feeds back into the oil pan? Like how an SR20 does? Does anyone have an recommendations to try and reduce this issue????
                        -Dee

Comment

I love this car!

Did a different parking lot event this weekend just because it is fun and I wanted to see if changing my oil for fresh VR1 20W-50 would do anything about my blow by issue. I had a little bit but nothing compared to what I was experiencing last week so I think having the fresh oil helped out a little but also not being 95* outside also helped.

I really only went to the event since it was my friends first time going to drift his 350z so I got to take his dad for a ride and he took this video. It was only like my second run towards the end of the day I started to run tandems with my two other friends but I had trouble keeping up with them.

Yesterday I decided to finally do a compression test on my engine and I think I found the source of all my blow by.

cylinder #1

cylinder #2

cylinder #3

cylinder #4

and spark plugs #1-4 from left to right

So it looks like cylinder #2 has bad rings since it is wayyyyyy lower than the rest and I experience nasty blow by / excessive crankcase pressure. I can't really be mad though this engine was high mileage, unknown past and condition before I tossed it in the car and started thrashing on it. I've gotten like 10 events out of it, tons of street driving to and from events, and a bunch of awesome times and smiles. Plus it still shreds even with low compression in one hole. I will say the spark plugs look good for having like 6 drift events and around 3000 miles of driving on them. I think that's a good sign that I have an decent tune, still probably conservative but I can live with a little less power lol. The #4 plug looks a little dirt but I don't know why exactly. I will be trying to do a SR20 style catch can that T's off the valve cover, pulling vacuum from the turbo intake and then going to a catch can that drains back into the block. It's really a band-aid to try and keep driving the rest of this season. Ultimately I will probably be getting a spare engine and talking to a buddy about putting the lower compression CP pistons in in hopes to make a more reliable bottom end that can handle more boost in the long run. Unlike my first time I will probably get someone more knowledgeable to either help me build it or build it for me.
                          -Dee

Comment

Barn Built Turbo 318is drift car; 8psi of clutch kicks & fun

Poop

Do an exhaust evac. Adding lots of oil vapor to a boosted engine, you're gonna have a bad time. There's little to no vacuum at the turbo intake

Oil causes detonation
                            Last edited by pandaboo911; 07-31-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Squirt some oil in the cyl and then do a test. If it raises up to normal then it's rings, if not then its valves or gasket
                              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                                Squirt some oil in the cyl and then do a test. If it raises up to normal then it's rings, if not then its valves or gasket
                                I should have done this but I am pretty confident it is piston rings due to the massive blow by and catch can filling up. I will do another compression test this week but the poor little m42 is pretty much dead at this point. The car still drives amazing and feels like it is making good power but it pukes oil way to much for me to want and still drive on track.

someone sent me a video of that parking lot event I did a few weeks ago. My car is in it a couple times, funny to think a year ago I couldn't even do a full lap without spinning out.

Last weekend I went back to clubloose and drove summer moves and it was by far one of the best events I have driven! There was almost no one there and tons of seat time.

So I also learned how to do something really cool with my car this event and that's basically how to do a wheelie / dirt drop leaving the hairpin.

Here's a video from the event and the dude caught my wheelie in it! It's at like 1:00 minute in.

So sadly after such and awesome event the car is in need of some serious work. All my dirt drops and flying off track trying to enter wayyyy to fast has caught up to me and I broke my RSI manifold that Otis built. :( So that needs to be fixed. I also am going to pull this engine out as it is done. I have another m42 laying around that is good so I will probably end up putting a thicker head gasket and ARP head studs on that one to lower the compression. I will probably end up taking this block and seeing if it is any good to be bored and honed to accept the CP pistons I still have so I can have someone build me a fully forged low compression bottom end. I mean I have the parts still...... Also plan on doing the camber toe correction to the rear subframe while the car is down because not running 0 camber or close to it in the rear is dumb for drifting.
                                -Dee

Comment

Working...
                                X