X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is beautiful

Comment

I'm really liking where this is going.
      For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
      Originally posted by mbonanni
      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Update, since I never seem to do it. I've been busy working seven days a week and having almost zero time to work on the 318. I have accomplished some things in past few weeks though.

I bought myself a new daily driver, yes it's a 2WD four cylinder TACOma!

I got it for a really good price, from the original owner. There isn't a whole lot of rust on the underside considering it is a 12 year old truck from NY. It did NEED a complete suspension overhaul though. So the past week I did upper/lower ball joints, shocks, inner/outer tie rods, belts, an oil change, e-brake cables, and a reverse light switch. I needed a new control arm from toyota because the drivers side on broke when I tried loosening the bolt for the shock. (The original owner did nothing but oil changes to the truck AND I s**t you not the shocks were original with 180,000 miles). I also had to replace one of the U-bolt brackets for the rear leaf spring because one of those bolts that holds the shock in place also broke clean off. I tried drilling it out and re taping it but it was really shot, there is a reason that bolt broke lol. But all it needs now is a new set of tires and it'll be a indestructible little pickup!

Another reason nothing ever seems to get done at the barn now is because we brought the dirt bikes from our houses here and all hell breaks loose once somebody starts riding one of them. We've even started to make some trails in the woods and make some berms.

But here are some cool photo's I took of the barn while riding the bike around right before we got a big storm. From a photography stand point the lighting for all of 5-10 minutes was astonishing!

Back to e30 stuff though.

I was able to get the gas tank and rear sub frame back in the car. I also got my ground control order!! Which was like opening up that one gift you want on Christmas morning.

We even pushed the car outside to reorganize the barn and try and clean all the bat poop off of it. There are a lot of bats which live in the barn it's terrible.

Now for the really good part the engine. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I got the crank in and torqued down.

CP pistons with the stock connecting rods are done, all the rings were properly gaped the previous week and installed in the block. My cheap chinese ring compressor no longer exists, we broke it putting the piston in a cylinder number 4 thankfully we still got it to work enough to get the piston in correctly.

It's a little hard to read due to crappy lighting and bad camera phone flash. But the pistons say
        PLEASE DON'T BLOW UP one word per piston obviously.

I added some other little thing to it that night as well and then decided to call it a night. This is how it sits now at the moment

I did get my head back from the machine shop so I should be putting that on today or tomorrow I'll post pictures of it before it's installed.

It got the following done to it:
        - Hot tanked
        - VAC valves / Springs
        - Valve seals
        - 5 angle valve job
        - Decked
        -Dee
        5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
        IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Okay so I've actually have done a fair amount of stuff to the car and not involving the car the past few months. Yes I am really bad at keeping this build thread up to date.

I got my cylinder head back from the machine shop and it looked sooo good I just wanted to put it on my shelf instead of the engine lol.

One more picture just because

I put the head on the block, lifters in, camshafts, all the timing components, and then timed the engine to TDC. It was pretty easy actually. ( so I either did it all correctly OR I did it completely wrong and it's gonna blow up right away lol)

The head is as followed:
          - Hot tanked
          - Decked
          - 7mm VAC valves with 5 angle valve job
          - VAC Valve springs and retainers
          - VW Hydraulic lifters
          - VAC turbo camshafts
          -Dee

Comment

I finally brought the engine to the barn now that it was mostly put together and I would be able to finish everything else there.

I then proceeded to bring the left over cut up bits of my rusty IX to the scrap yard in the tacoma. It was kind of bitter sweat cutting up my first actual car, and scrapping it. I'm very glad I parted it out though just taking the entire thing apart taught me a lot about e30's in general and gave me a lot of know how to finish the 318.

I actually finished p doing work to the tacoma that I needed to do. I drove down to Pelham one friday night and meet my friend at the shop he works at to put new tires on, tie rods (inner/outer), and align the truck. It was actually nice to work on a lift for once. I'm still super happy about the truck after looking at the underside even more while in the air it is pretty rust free considering it's lived in NY for 12 years.

Here is my friend cutting the old tie rods off

I also took this picture while doing some stuff in the barn and I thought, WOW we need a BMW flag....

-Dee

Comment

Sub'd! Great progress!
              Gabe
              '91 318is

Comment

After all this stuff I went across country with my family for two weeks and we drove out to Yellow Stone. It was probably one of the best drives / places I've seen in the United States. I highly recommend trying to go there at least once in your lifetime it's beautiful!!!

So prior to going to Yellow I went with my friend Andrew to Ready Set Drift at Pocono speedway for there third and fourth gear drift party. At the end of the day on that Sunday he blew is clutch up while I was in the car. (IT WAS AWESOME!) Luckily his friend Galen towed the car back to his house in Goshen, NY which is like an hour away from us. In the two weeks I was gone he got the car back to the barn pulled the engine, took the broken clutch off, got the flywheel resurfaced, installed the new clutch, PP, ect. and had it all back together. (well mostly it ran and drove, just didn't look like a car hahah)

I come back and everyone is helping him prep to have his brother spray paint his car. It's suppose to be blue but honestly it is purple...
                (I don't have a picture of it but whatever)

I started to work on my front ground control setup for the car.

And here is the finished product!

^^^ This is the color of that 240 (totally purple)
                -Dee

Comment

Okay so here is where I am at as of today 10/19/2014

I have DJ Buttchug's old turbo manifold since I decided to run a T25 off an SR20 with a T2 flange and internal waste gate instead of the GT2871R and tial external wastegate with a T3 flange. I re wrapped it and for my first time using exhaust wrap I think it cam out pretty good.

I also installed the following in the front:
                  - Freshly painted subframe
                  - New front control arms
                  - Poly lollipop bushings
                  - e36 M3 rack (had to cut part of the firewall to make it fit since it's a late model car..)
                  - Inner/ outer tie rods with rack spacers for moar anglez
                  - RX7 BBK I bought from a fellow R3v memeber! (now I need wheel spacers between the bigger brakes and my front wheels hitting the frame rail at full lock)

The car sits pretty low since I cut the strut tubes to install the Ground controls, I cut 2" off at I personally think that I fudged up and took to much off. I might get another set of front strut tubes and redo them but only cut 1" this time.

This is with coils all the way up too. The M42 oil pan sits low enough as it is now with the car like this I am almost guaranteed to smash it.

Still need to do some engine work in order to drop it in the car, but need to run brake lines and take car of some other body stuff while the engine is out to make my life easier.

The car is currently up on jack stands like this since the other day I was running new fuel hard lines and brake lines. I'm going to head over to the barn later today and try and get some more work done. I'm also going to try and remember my dslr so I can stop updating this thread with my terrible cellphone pictures.
                  -Dee

Comment

Good progress! Can't wait to see it finished.

M42 turbo build.
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

hell yea. You have a long block that can handle a good amount of boost. Way to not cut corners.

Nice work.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                      Ig:ryno_pzk
                      I like the tuna here.
                      Originally posted by lambo
                      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Its all fun and games until someone loses a nut. Nice work

Comment

Originally posted by jntar View Post
                          Good progress! Can't wait to see it finished.
                          ..Neither can I, Considering I've owned it over a year and haven't driven it is amazing lol

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                          hell yea. You have a long block that can handle a good amount of boost. Way to not cut corners.

Nice work.
                          That was the goal, Build something reliable, start off with a small turbo, get a good feeling for the car and have the option to make more power down the road! Your car is a huge inspiration for this turd!

I made a oil return in the lower oil pan last weekend.

Started by marking and then using a punch to start drilling it out.

Small hole first, just to get it started.

Then get the unibit.

AND MAKE A GIANT HOLE!!!

Make sure the AN fitting fits correctly.

I cleaned everything up then I put a little red RTV between both sides just to be safe nothing is going to leak from there. I think I might have made the oil return a little to big, it's a -10AN fitting for a fuel cell, thus why it has the nut on the other side. Next time I should probably make it smaller.

Here it is with the oil pan finally on.

And I put myvalve cover and all accessories on the engine including the flywheel, clutch, PP, transmission.

Oh the engine is also in the car currently, I just don't have a decent picture of it because once I put it in I was tired and decided to go home lol. I'm actually getting excited because this thing is closer and closer to being fired!!
                          -Dee

Comment

Looks like things are coming along nicely :) How much boost are you planning on running?

Comment

Cool! sub'd.

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                                Looks like things are coming along nicely :) How much boost are you planning on running?
                                I am going to run about 7 PSI, which is the stock wastegate on a T25, for breaking in the engine and just getting the car running. Then by spring/ summer I will most likely put a 1 bar (~14 psi) hks wastegate on until I decide to upgrade to a T28.

But in other news here are some pictures of the engine finally in.

I got some stuff from condorspeed shop, they are awesome and super helpful. 20mm spacers for the front because I wasn't clearing the RX7 calipers, 90mm studs, engine and transmission mounts for my friend, and a PS delete for another buddies e36, then I got some free stuff! woopwoop!

I wanted to finish up my gauges but sadly this came broken in the mail :(:(

Andrew and I helped someone else put another SR in a 240. This car is scary, I mean it has hockey pucks for engine mounts... I don't believe people can be so cheap on such a critical part.

I've been thinking about possibly SR swapping an e30 just because I think it is cool, I know some people have done, and I've been watching the thread that someone on here has putting a s15 SR20 in a 2002.

My car is literally a durty thirty it makes me sad :(

Now I am mocking up intercooler piping, playing with electrical issues with head lights, and window motors. I also currently have the gas tank dropped to run new fuel lines and what not. The car is getting closer to being done, I'm getting excited to finally drive it! I cranked and primed the engine which was nice to hear no strange noises or anything.
                                -Dee

Comment

Working...
                                X