No announcement yet.

Barn Built Turbo M42 drift car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooooooo I finished my brake lines and got them all bleed including the clutch slave cylinder as well. Kinda excited to see what the RX7 BBK will feel like especially since I also took the ABS out and just ran straight lines. I've never had fixed piston calipers before.

Do any of you M42 dudes know if the slave cylinder for the getrag 240 transmission will have any problems with a M20 flywheel and clutch setup? I remember reading somewhere that it could over extend.. But I mean it works at the moment.

I picked up some 16" BBS rep wheels for my car too a few weeks ago, funny haha is that the wheels are fake and aren't true two piece but the center caps are real But whatever they were pretty cheap and I partially traded an early model door for them that I had no use for. Plus the guy I bought them from was pretty cool I don't think he's on any of the forums but I might have him fabricate a roll bar for me since he was making one for his e30 anyway.

I redid my intercooler piping and got myself a bypass valve to try and get jakes tune to work with my car but I had no luck getting it to work correctly :(

So I've been talking to Todd at DTM on building a MS for my car. I think I'll be going with MS2V3.0 My biggest problem with jakes tune was still needing the AFM, so you best believe I'm going to go with a MAP sensor since it would be stupid not to. Todd also suggested going with some bigger injectors so I've been looking into getting some of these.

Now what I really need to do is stop being a lazy SOB (loljk work and school just get in my way) and make it so I can drive my car...

Need to
    - mock up and make a downpipe / exhaust still
    - setup my power steering stuff
    - install a vacuum distribution box to tidy things up
    - wiring my gauges and make a gauge pod for my radio location out of aluminum
    - get the car running on MS
    - Drive it

I will be taking this turd drifting this year even if it means pulling this engine out and putting the other M42 I have sitting back in and just running stock until it blowsssssss up. April 17th is my goal. So we'll see what happens.
    -Dee
    5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
    IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Gave up on building the MS yourself, huh?

I didn't have any problems with the clutch slave cylinder over-extending, and don't remember reading anything about that.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        Gave up on building the MS yourself, huh?
        Yeah pretty much. I mean if I was able to run the tune from that chip for a little as I was making it I probably would've done it myself. But since that was a no go for me I'd rather just have it built. Plus I've been working at a steel shop in NJ recently and actually have a decent amount of extra money to justify me having someone else do it while still being able to pay for college. So win-win for me I guess.

I didn't have any problems with the clutch slave cylinder over-extending, and don't remember reading anything about that.
        I honestly don't remember where I saw it either, I could be mistaken and totally thinking of something else but ehh whatever I'm sure it'll be fine.

Your car is coming along nicely though varg! I'm actually jealous at the moment on how well your car is running. I hope to be running running around 12-14psi by this summer I'm sure it feels awesome.
        -Dee

Comment

my parts on this car

fck wit me.

das it mane

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Got some stuff yesterday. :) Going to start making my downpipe and exhaust this weekend. Only down side is that where my car is only has a MIG welder and I would prefer to TIG it since I want to get better at that... So I'll just tack the whole thing and bring it over to my buddies to finish it up.
            -Dee

Comment

So last week I started making my downpipe for the car. I really enjoy doing fabrication work now that I've been getting better and more comfortable with a welder. I just ended up mig welding it all pretty much.

Don't mind the nasty ass engine bay or the wires everywhere. I will clean it up eventually... Also it's a pretty dang tight fit in there 3" pipe is right at home though on turbo cars :)

mandatory cool welding picture. And yes that is a flex pipe that I added to the down pipe (trying to avoid some a problem somebody else had previous to me getting the manifold ) it sits along the firewall out of sight from the engine bay. I did have to bang the firewall in a little so I am able to fit the thing into the car but ehh whatever I already cut the battery tray anyway...

Going to try and finish the rest of the exhaust this weekend and upcoming week. It definitely is more time consuming than it sounds lol or maybe I'm just lazy...
              -Dee

Comment

Coming along. How many/what kind of mufflers will you run? Mine is a little too loud and drones a bit with the straight through muffler I'm running, you've seen the video in my build thread.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 1-26

Comment

Coming along. How many/what kind of mufflers will you run? Mine is a little too loud and drones a bit with the straight through muffler I'm running, you've seen the video in my build thread.
                  Yeah I saw / heard that. I have nothing but a 3" pipe going to a megan axle back from a 240sx. I'm waiting on a flange to finish the exhaust so I have no idea how it is going to sound. If need be I did leave enought space for me at add a muffler or resonator later.

I got these yesterday though

They are actually for a nissan Pulsar GTI-R which had a transversely mounted SR20det. The overall injector length, o-ring to o-ring length, and o-ring diameter is the same the only thing you'll need is an adapter to the ev1 styled connector.

If anyone else is curious the part number for them is 1000.13.07.60.14.4
                  -Dee

Comment

Alrighty so finally an update on this poop machine!

Got my big boy injectors in the car

I ended up getting a nardi wheel from a fellow R3v member. Oh and here is a cat..

More importantly I finally got my Megasquirt 2 and have the car running on it (not well since I am still figuring out how to tune it correctly :( )

And Here's a video of it running like complete dog poop

Sorry for video taping it like a jabronie. But I've been having serious blow by issues with the car my thinking is that the VAC cams I put in are too gnarley for the lower rpm's like under 2000 and it is not letting the exhaust escape fast enough. So I put some OEM cams back in and I'm going to try an see what it does tonight / tomorrow. Hopefully it'll solve that issue, otherwise idk what I m going to do
                    -Dee

Comment

what injectors are they?
                      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Injector Dynamics ID1000's for an sr20det I posted the part number for them somewhere as well
                        -Dee

Comment

The VAC cams would have to be really aggressive for them to be the issue which is unlikely. Double check they are timed correctly at TDC with the blocks.

If the cams check out OK its probably a vacuum leak or your tune if its on the MS2
                          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

They seem to be pretty aggressive, I did double check the timing of them though. Here's the data sheet from cat cams which is what VAC uses.

I mean a 242 exhaust with 10mm of lift and 260 intake with 11mm of lift are definitely gnarlier that the OEM 255/255 with 9.7mm of lift. But I don't really know. The tune for the car is all sorts of wrong and just garbage I was in way over my head thinking I could tune the car with no past knowledge of tuning ect.

I did put the OEM camshafts in the other night and now the car sounds like it might has a knock which is really a bummer I'm going to go look at it today and see what it sounds like with a stethoscope.

I'm scurred of what I might hear :shock:
                            -Dee

Comment

YAY It's running! Nice work so far dude.

M42 turbo build.
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

Originally posted by jntar View Post
                                YAY It's running! Nice work so far dude.
                                thanks but no longer running :(

I was hearing some sorta knock / rattle from the engine and I realllllllllly didn't like it so I decided to take it out and inspect it to find out what it might be. Plus I am still leaking oil from the timing chain cover area.

I do have the other m42 engine just sitting around doing nothing so I'm just going to reseal that and put it in my car to drive it for a little while until I get this junk engine back together and in my car again...
                                -Dee

Comment

Working...
                                X