No announcement yet.

Barn Built Turbo M42 drift car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! Glad I could help with what little I did. I want to see your tune, send me your msq! I'd put money on your inop coolant temp gauge being due to the nut on the back of the cluster being loose or gone.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
      Nice! Glad I could help with what little I did. I want to see your tune, send me your msq! I'd put money on your inop coolant temp gauge being due to the nut on the back of the cluster being loose or gone.
      Probably I should just pull the cluster out, but I'm lazy. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow, I like the digital one though. I'll send you my tune once I smooth out my VE table, it's currently a little whacky. What it really came down to is I had the wrong trigger wheel settings, and I tried fixing it everything from there which made everything weirddddddddddd. Once I set the trigger angle to 114 everything was sooo much easier.

I'm sorry in advance for the cellphone poop. I'll try to remember to bring my camera next time.

Went and drove my car with a few friends tonight, My cold start idling is a little funny / low so I need to work on that ASAP. At one point my car just didn't idle and died at a stop super weird guess I have some settings wrong I'll play around with it tomorrow. Also turns out the gasket for the fuel pump on top is leaking when I have a full tank of gas. I never had it above half a tank until last night so need to order that now too.

I did learn how to do donuts tonight! First one was kinda snappy but after I started to get the hang of it. Car feels great spinning around on throttle! It's super smooth and I was probably only around 5-6000rpm the entire time. I don't know how much abuse this stock M20 can take though, I might need put something a little beefier in come spring.

When I was messing around in a parking lot the temps got really hot like 230ish degrees, turns out the waterpump, and alternator belt came off. Luckily it didn't snap, I thought it was kinda loose earlier but didn't do anything about it. It was kinda fun fixing my car in a parking lot with a headlamp on. Thankfully that was my only big problem all night.

I know this picture sucks but I don't really care I think it's cool that this turd shoots flames. So after you drive super hard / fast then go off throttle it looks like the reverse lights are on in the mirror for a second.
      -Dee
      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

It's nice getting up in the morning and seeing my car in the driveway not across town in a barn, or next to my house on jack stands in pieces. I am going to attempt to fix the rust hole pictured here and under the battery tray this winter then I'll have a rust free car :) It really needs to be painted one color though ASAP.

Played with some more idle settings today as well. It is still kinda rough when it's cold outside but it is a million times better than it was with just the cracked throttle plate.

I did a few things today like my trunk latch, so I can open it without the key. Also finished putting the digital coolant gauge in. The only problem I have with it right now is it reads like 10-20 derees hotter than the sensor in the head. I don't know if it is because I have it in the return hose for the radiator or if it is calibrated differently. I also noticed I am around 190-195 degrees at idle with the clutch fan and it'll climb to about 200-205 on my laptop during some hard spirited driving around town. I feel as though the intercooler is blocking a decent amount of airflow to the radiator because of the size/placement of it. I think I'm going to add a pusher fan to the radiator and see if that helps...

I let my friend drive my car around as I played with the VE table a little and fixed some rich spots I was noticing the other night. I get some gnarly backfires when off throttle I don't know if this is normal or not. Am I rich when off throttle causing fuel to burn in the exhaust or is it just because it is a 3" straight pipe from the turbo all the way to a crappy Megan muffler? You can hear it in the video though.
        -Dee

Comment

Glad to see things are finally up and running. It shouldnt backfire like that though. Id pull a little fuel from VE in those areas and see if it cleans up. Watch the AFR and see what its doing.

For the rough idle @ cold start mess with the Start up enrichment table tab. You might have to tweak the injector duty as well to get better results outside of the CSE. Make sure you have a nice sloping line plot as the car moves into closed loop.

Originally posted by varg View Post
          Was that with your built engine and ported head? I would be happy with 255whp given my current configuration.
          Didnt see this lol, Yea ported head make a slight difference... not sure how much but at about 15psi you should make 250
          Last edited by Dj Buttchug; 01-03-2016, 08:33 PM.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Alrighty so slight update car has been pretty fun, so I decided to take it apart again because I lost my mind. :loco: I'm like halfway through five lug swapping the thing and I should be done with it this weekend if all goes well. I'm still having issues with running my IACV with megasquirt and I sorta have just given up on it for now, if I ever have time I'll go back and try and get it to work right. Sorry about the whack cellphone pictures too I never have my camera when I work on the car.

This is with non-m knuckles, 96+ M3 control arms, SRS-concept five lug adapter lollipops, and homemade ground control five lug bastard kit made out of the parts from their e30 4 lug coilover kit. So hopefully my car isn't sitting on the floor anymore and it is more practical to drive around. Also the 16x8 style five's are my favorite <3

The rear is going to be the typical e36 TI rear trailing arms except I ended up welding the SRS-concept dual caliper brackets on so I can run a hydro because the stock e30 parking brake is complete trash for drifting. I did sorta mess one up and I'll have to grind it down a little since it wasn't square to the rotor when I welded it oops.

Got this baller -4 female to 1/8 NPT ro -4 male AN fitting to put on the back off my cylinder to draw oil for the turbo and put an oil pressure sensor. I rather get oil pressure from the top of the engine rather than near the oil filter. So that and a new oil feed line will help clean up the engine bay a little bit.

I finally got around to ordering a resonator and a muffler since the straight pipe to garbage megan racing muffler was too drone-y and loud for me. Will update with an exhaust clip once I make the entire new exhaust with a better fitting down pipe.

My buddy also gave me one of these, so at some point this summer I'm probably going to blow this head gasket running 1 bar. I'm excited, I might push this bone stock m42 too far and be force myself to rebuild the other engine again with the low compression pistons and nice cylinder head lol!

Also I'm going to finish fixing my rust in the rear of the car and then focus on making it look like not a bag of dicks. I plan to paint it over the summer with this metallic blue rustoleum color. Hopefully it'll come out okay.
            -Dee

Comment

Considered saving up, binning Megasquirt entirely and running a good standalone?
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                Considered saving up, binning Megasquirt entirely and running a good standalone?
                NOPE! Other than my idle control valve I'm pretty happy with my megasquirt setup.

So finished my homemade ground control bastard kit. Was wayyy easier to cut and weld everything at work in the shop than at home.

(actually I did weld the plates on at home)

Here's a better picture of the weld on dual rear caliper bracket. Definitely a cheaper solution compared to the wilwood/massive option which is kinda pricey for what it is.... I think they things are $40 and my only really issue with them was I had to open the holes up a little on the drill press because the bolts didn't fit.

Car is now at a decent ride height, don't mid the smaller tires in the rear they'll be gone soon for a more reasonable size.

The no bumper look is really starting to grow on me too, probably because my valance is all banged up and looks terrible without a lip on it :( I think I'm going to just leave the valance off and order some of those replica mtech2 front/rear lower valances for the car.
                -Dee

Comment

So finished the 5-lug swap, put my enkei ek98's on the back with a set of 205-55-16 and I need to roll the fender a little to stop it from rubbing. Or just put smaller tires on it, for the mean time I have these garbage federals that are super small in the rear.

Put a low temperature thermostat in the car and it runs pretty cool now compared to before it was running sorta hot, mostly from the turbo coolant lines I think, but only going off my laptop and ebay gauge since my cluster temp gauge refuses to work still.

Also finished the exhaust again, I'm not exactly thrilled with how it came out, still sorta load for my tastes and sounds like a subaru which is sorta mehhhhh, Here's an exhaust clip, don't mind the rust hole in my rear valance.........

So went and drove the car around some more to just tweek some cruising settings on the highway and then the thing started to break apart really bad, backfire and generally hated life. The car felt like it had no power at all, and just got worse and worse. It got to the point where I was literally crawling trying to get the car home and it just wasn't having it. I ended up pulling off into a parking lot about 5 miles from my house and took a look, my laptop died so I wasn't able to see any megasquirt settings or take a log. It can start and idle fine but once I start to move in first gear it sorta boggs out and wants to die. I think maybe my crank sensor died or something of the sort. I don't see why the tune would just go bad, software doesn't change randomly... I'm really pissed because I was planning on driving at a local drift event this weekend and now I can't luckily I was able to give my spot to my friend who was going to go anyway. I'll take a look at it more this weekend and see what I can figure out, I'll post a video of what it is doing if I can't seem to fix it.
                  -Dee

Comment

Well did some looking around and figured out why my car was breaking apart, and running pretty lean. this is the wiring going to my number one coil and it just sorta melted. I pulled the plugs and thought it was weird that cylinder 1 was really wet and fouled.

Here's the bottom of the number one coil too. I'm not exactly sure how this happened but it sorta sucks. I did realize I had some original plugs in the motor so I thought that was causing the car to break apart while on the highway so I put in some ngk bcpr7es plugs gapped at 0.030. they are one step colder than the oe plugs so that should help me out once I replace the harness and get a new coil pack.

Sometimes I feel like this car is just cursed and doesn't want to me to drive it and have fun :( I've really be thinking about putting an sr20 in it or a m50.
                    -Dee

Comment

Dwell settings my dude.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                        Dwell settings my dude.
                        I know, I don't think my dwell settings are far off from what they should be. I have these setting in megasquirt:
                        4.5(ms) cranking dwell
                        3.4(ms) Nominal dwell
                        1.0(ms) spark duration

It's also weird because it was only cylinder 1 numbers 2-4 are totally fine.
                        -Dee

Comment

that's way too high. Your cranking and normal dwell should be around 2. This is likely the reason the coil fried. What is up with that wiring in the first pic? Where does that go to?

I like the tuna here.

Comment

oh really? That seemed to be working pretty well for a while, I'll lower it once I get stuff put back together this week. The first picture is the plug for the first coil, that burned up, after my friend played with the wires though that's why they are all twisted up and funny looking. Thankfully I had a spare harness in my shed I am going to swap out today and then get a new coil pack.
                            -Dee

Comment

Interesting. The failure could be related to whatever your buddy did with the wiring. I still think your dwell is high. I had this issue a few years back and I kept destroying coils and drivers. After I swapped to BIPs and lowered my dwell everything has been working great.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Well he did all that after I found it burnt up, so he had nothing to do with why it got burnt up.

I do remember you having that issue now that you say it because it was right around when I started my car. I'll definitely lower it and hope for the best this time around. It sucks not being able to drive the car or take it to the track with all my buddies but it's been a awesome learning experience so I'm not mad, just another hiccup to deal with and learn from
                                -Dee

Comment

Working...
                                X