No announcement yet.

Barn Built Turbo M42 drift car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It takes time to get it all right. I would lower the cranking dwell to 2 and the normal to 1.6-1.8

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Finished putting the engine harness in, modified a new cylinder one coil. Adjusted my dwell settings in megasquirt and car fired right up again like it was nothing.

I am still getting the issue of it idling lean as hell and misfiring really bad under load, I fear I have a clogged fuel filter or something along those lines. I replaced everything except the gas tank when I had the sub frame out originally but I guess the inside of the tank was dirty or rusty causing shit to get into the system. I'll pull the filter off tomorrow and see what's going on. I hope I don't have to replace my gas tank. :(
      -Dee
      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
        that's way too high. Your cranking and normal dwell should be around 2. This is likely the reason the coil fried. What is up with that wiring in the first pic? Where does that go to?
        My settings with the COP conversion:
        Cranking 4.5ms
        Nominal 3.4ms
        Duration 1.0ms

I've been running it this way for over a year FWIW. I based my settings on what I saw in other people's settings for an M52 ignition coil. I haven't done an instrumented test to see if it's right but I don't have any trouble with it.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          My settings with the COP conversion:
          Cranking 4.5ms
          Nominal 3.4ms
          Duration 1.0ms

I've been running it this way for over a year FWIW. I based my settings on what I saw in other people's settings for an M52 ignition coil. I haven't done an instrumented test to see if it's right but I don't have any trouble with it.

interesting. I am currently at 2, 1.6,1 with no issues to report either. We are all using OBDII coil packs too.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

interesting. I am currently at 2, 1.6,1 with no issues to report either. We are all using OBDII coil packs too.
            who knows I don't see any difference in performance with lowering mine but my coil didn't melt yet lol

So I pulled my fuel pump and looked in the tank, pretty rusty and gross so I swapped the tank and fuel filter. It solved my lean idle issue I was having and the car runs a million times better now. No pics of the new tank or anything phone was dead and I didn't feel like getting the camera.

Now I'm blowing fuses for my fuel pump. Kinda weird I think my car is cursed.. I've been running the same tre 255 lph pump for a while now. I am leaning out while in boost in second gear. so I gotta figure that out now too. I just want my car to work right, it's kinda getting old driving my truck around.
            -Dee

Comment

nice car! and avatar

1991 325i
              flickr
              @sambhaskins

Comment

keep on pushing dude.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_ View Post
                  nice car! and avatar
                  Thanks, I'm a big fan of 1950-60's era and love fallout so I use this avatar for everything lol!

keep on pushing dude.
                  I'm trying man. I'm just getting tired of working on it. Every time I go to drive it so I can log / tune something else breaks. I just did the gas tank, all the fuel lines and today it blew up the return line to the tank which is of course the crappiest line to replace. I'm almost to the point of selling the thing and just buying a good working 240 with an SR in it.
                  -Dee

Comment

damn dont do that. so what you have to drop the tank now?

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                      Thanks, I'm a big fan of 1950-60's era and love fallout so I use this avatar for everything lol!
                      fallout is my probably my favorite series, new vegas being my favorite of them all.

1991 325i
                      flickr
                      @sambhaskins

Comment

sam_; Yeah good games I enjoy all of them. Although haven't had much time for video games in a while just too busy.

damn dont do that. so what you have to drop the tank now?
                        I'll try not to cave in and buy a 240 lol but I am not opposed to the SR swapped e30. I actually didn't have to drop the tank (thankfully since I just put a new one in too) I fixed that line got it all running again and honestly I can't figure out why my car falls on it's face. It seems like it has a consistent misfire while driving it, and a serious lack of power.

I cannot wrap my head around what it can be, I have all my engine constants set up correctly, checked timing, have a okay ignition map, one step colder spark plugs, and good compression that I checked today just because I never did do that.

Here's my ignition settings and table:

The other weird thing I noticed today was that I got my idle pretty dialed in at 14.7:1 drove the car around the neighborhood, got on it a little and when I got back to my house I was at like 18-19:1 afr. I didn't change the maps or anything and I saw I was leaning out towards the top end when driving so I backed off. Could my fuel pump itself be clogged with rust and crap from my old tank still? Is a TRE 255lph pump not enough to support my ID1000 injectors? Like what am I missing here guys???
                        -Dee

Comment

Well after fighting for a few months now to get my car running right I think it is finally resolved!!! I changed the fuel tanks, filter, and finally just finished swapping out my ID1000 injectors for some siemen deka 60# ones since I was having a serious misfires and no power. Also redid all my base maps in megasquirt, adjusted req_fuel for the new injectors and drove the car around the block. IT FELT AMAZING, probably the best the car has felt since I owned it. Seems like it has a couple small hiccups in the timing table in the mid range but overall feels good. I'm basically at the point of resolving a few small issues then getting some solid road tuning and data logging in. :)

quick crappy cell picture outside my house as I charged my laptop/

I did all my base maps up to about 15 psi this time because I'm eventually going to start slowing increasing my boost until I can run my 1 bar HKS wastegate on the T25. I'm just hoping this stock M42 will take it. I haven't seen anyone running above like 10-11 pounds on a stock headgasket without lowering the compression so we will see what happens, maybe it'll blow up or maybe it'll be awesome..
                          -Dee

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                            I did all my base maps up to about 15 psi this time because I'm eventually going to start slowing increasing my boost until I can run my 1 bar HKS wastegate on the T25. I'm just hoping this stock M42 will take it. I haven't seen anyone running above like 10-11 pounds on a stock headgasket without lowering the compression so we will see what happens, maybe it'll blow up or maybe it'll be awesome..
                            It will be fine unless you run into detonation.
                            But best idea is MLS gasket and ARP studs. Cheaper than rebuilding an engine
                            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                              It will be fine unless you run into detonation.
                              But best idea is MLS gasket and ARP studs. Cheaper than rebuilding an engine
                              If anything a MLS head gasket and ARP's will make me need to rebuild the engine faster since if the head gasket doesn't blow something more serious will break. But I planned on going MLS gasket with ARP's when this head gasket does blow it just want to find out when hehe.

Only okay recent picture I have. I added some ponies with the barn built sticker.

Car has been driving pretty well, it begs to be in boost. I'm trying to work out the light throttle cruising around town just to make it a little more daily drive-able constantly needing to put your foot into it is fine but driving late at night in the neighborhood I feel bad. It isn't terrible now but I think getting some better timing down low will help out. I am also getting serious overrun backfires I think it is lean backfires since I have overrun fuel cut on. I still want another muffler because it is still loud inside the car with the resonator and muffler.

Just going to keep driving it and tweaking the tune. I gotta fix my newly found oil leaks from what looks like the oil filter housing again and my oil pressure gauge behind the head. If all goes well I should be able to drive the Friday night drift party at the end of the month.
                              -Dee

Comment

Put my junk on the alignment rack last weekend. I have ruined this car with the e36 5-lug. My front camber is about -1 degree, front caster is like 10 degrees, and front toe is fine I forget what is was te sheet is in my glove box. The rear of this thing is also pretty f'd up I have about 1 degree of difference between each side with camber, so somethins is either bent or the chassis itself is tweeked which could be very I'm pretty sure the previous owner put the thing in a ditch at least once. But hey at least my steering wheel is straight....

I put a slightly smaller tire on in the front too so I don't hit the sway bar lock to lock. It's a 205 45 r16 on a 16x8 style 5; Honestly it is a little too stretched for my liking but I'm going to leave it for now. I also put my sorta broken bumper on the car, I didn't have the plastic bumper brackets since my car never came with them and my valance is all sorta messed up so I drilled a small hole on either side under the trim to fit 2 zip ties. It looks good enough I think.

I love having the bumper though, it makes the car look way better even with the mismatched paint and bent valance.

Drove around a little with my friend, idk why his 240 always looks good but it does. I think it has something to do with the work wheels up front. Also it isn't dumb and low like all the other 240sx's I see, it is at the perfect ride height. Also he kills it on track with his stock SR check it out.

Right after I took that poor quality bridge picture I was doing donuts and figure 8's in a parking lot and started to get hot. My stupid -8 coolant line on the cylinder head popped off and leaked coolant everywhere thankfully I caught it fast.

Struggled and got it back on then babbied the car home. During the week I fixed it by cleaning all the crappy corrsion off the barb and putting a better -6 size AN line on it. Honestly I hate making AN lines but it is pretty cheap to just buy the line and fittings compared to a premade line espically mine because it is sorta long. Fingers crossed this one doesn't pop off.
                                -Dee

Comment

Working...
                                X