No announcement yet.

Barn Built Turbo M42 drift car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So fully rebuilt M42 that I pulled from the car has some serious crank walk. I'm not entirely sure what happened or where I might have gone wrong while rebuilding it I still need to fully dismantle the engine and see what exactly failed. My feeling is the thrust bearing spun or something along those lines...

Had my friend Roy trailer my car to my house, I put the other M42 I had laying around doing nothing in the car and just did the timing cover, oilpan, oil filter housing, and valve cover gaskets on it. Oh and the turbo manifold with a T25 and my old 440cc injectors...

Need to finish putting everything together on it and get it running on megasquirt, and hope that I don't destroy this engine while I do another rebuild because not going drifting is starting to suck. :(

AND in other news I've started to gather the parts for a five lug swap in the front with modified e36 knuckles and control arms to get lots of lock and mad anglezz brahh
    -Dee
    5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
    IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Update: Took the engine apart yesterday night, turns out my crank walk was pretty bad, it ate away at the crank on the thrust bearing journal. The edges were razor sharp. The rod bearings were fine but the pistons themselves have some vertical scores on them which I think happened because of the crank walking around..... cylinder head appears to be fine and reusable but I'll probably clean it up and save it for when I rebuild another bottom end.

Already purchased another donor M42 that will be taken apart this winter and machined to start building a new engine. Going to probably get the following:
      - Bore and hone for CP pistons
      - Line hone
      - Polish the crank
      - hot tanked
      - hot tank the cylinder head
      - new valve seals on cylinder head
      - deck cylinder head

In the mean time before I start all that stuff I have a stock M42 back in the car with a garrett t25 on there and some 440cc injectors. Gotta finish a few more things on it then get it tuned...
      -Dee

Comment

boostinnnnn

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

What caused it do you know?
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
            My block had an indent right near a coolant / oil feed had oil in my coolant and coolant in my oil :( That along with never checking the clearance before I put the crank in. So next time I will know not to be an idiot...

Got the car idling today with a stock M42 and a T25 on it.

You can see how much I love working on this thing now... I seriously have a problem between kicking my car, throwing shit at it, and just overall abusing it. I'm sure r3v doesn't approve of my methods.

Need to order myself a 2.5" 45 degree silicon boot so I can shut the hood with the air filter on lulz

Tomorrow I'm finally going to insure and register the car so I can start to drive it on the road and hope to get it running well enough to go drifting on the 16th for FNDP. I was super bummed I couldn't go to Freedom Moves because I had work :(:(

Here's all the fun I keep missing out on:

Last edited by ccsdo5; 10-11-2015, 08:19 AM.
            -Dee

Comment

Huge bummer!

M42s have a crappy half-shell thrust bearing, and if the car is started with the clutch pushed in it will wear the bearing quickly, then damage the crank. Just one of the many serious design flaws in the M42.

Protip; when starting your M42, keep your foot off of the clutch.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                Huge bummer!

M42s have a crappy half-shell thrust bearing, and if the car is started with the clutch pushed in it will wear the bearing quickly, then damage the crank. Just one of the many serious design flaws in the M42.

Protip; when starting your M42, keep your foot off of the clutch.

^^ That's very true, BUT I did have a 360 degree thrust bearing in the car as an upgrade to hopefully prevent that issue. Obviously it didn't work out well for me. Good tip though, wish my toyota had a clutch override button.

Anyway last night I was playing with my idle and trying to figure that out, gave up at like 9:00 though after the car running extremely rich. Did some more homework and learned I never enabled map switching in tuner studio so it was trying to take the VE tables from my two tables instead of just one at a time. Still have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to tuning a car and had my ignition table all sorts of weird and think I corrected it today when I was messing with the car. I was able to get the idle to be around 1000rpm with the throttle plate cracked open a little, no ICV and AFR's around 13.8 - 14.8 (it really bounces around quite a lot). I tried out the auto tune feature as well just driving around my neighborhood and it seems to do a pretty good job with the off-boost VE tables.

After a few hours of adjusting tables and retracing my steps to figure what works and what doesn't work with my car it started to feel pretty good. 7 psi on a T25 feels pretty good. The torque curve feels awesome and even driving around in vacuum it is pretty peppy.

I did get a little carried away towards the end of today though and this happened.

Yeah I debeaded a tire when I kicked the clutch turning around. That M42 power ;)

Car needs to be raised up and engine needs to come out to have a couple gaskets replaced that I guess I fooked up because it leaks a decent amount of oil during the course of a day and I can't go on track like that. Also need to put the hood on next time been thinking about making a hood vent since I'm sure this thing will get hot, anyone have and good looking hood vent setups??
                -Dee

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                  ^^ That's very true, BUT I did have a 360 degree thrust bearing in the car as an upgrade to hopefully prevent that issue. Obviously it didn't work out well for me. Good tip though, wish my toyota had a clutch override button.
                  Crank was probably damaged beforehand. Probably not necessary to have a clutch safety override on the toyota, it probably has 360° thrust bearing(s). It wouldn't be necessary to start with the clutch out with a stock M42 if it had a full bearing, but with a stiff aftermarket pressure plate you'd still want to do it even with the full thrust bearing.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

I start all my cars with the clutch out. looks like progress is being made here. carry on op

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Finally raised the back of my car a little, that way it doesn't suck to drive around. I have all my oil leaks resolved too now which is nice.

The front suspension is like holy caster right now, but I waiting to get my e36 stuff in the mail to start remaking the front coilovers for my 5- lug swap. I'm tired of living dangerously with my oil pan whenever I want to drive the car which isn't even that often sadly...

Now that it's getting cold out in NY having no IACV is starting to suck so I'm going to modify my intercooler pipe so I can install on and not have to try and keep the car alive until it is warm. My tune has been getting better and better the more I play with it and 7 psi is pretty fun, I'm going to shoot for 15 psi by next spring/summer though figuring that'll probably put me in the 220-230whp range with the Ryan's exhaust manifold, a T25 and the stock intake manifold.

Also totally jumping on the band wagon with the custom intake manifold. I needed a final project for my autocad class so I figured why not do it on something useful. Going for a two piece design like how the original manifold is but with a larger diameter runners and just an M50 throttle body. I'd love to have it be something like this:

But that's made for a 4AGE by Custom Plenum Creations. This guys work is amazing. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an intake from him but I want the challenge of making my own. This isn't going to happy for a while though, I want to just drive the car and go drifting for a year or two on lower boost.

I did pick up another M42 a couple months ago as I'm going to go for big baller engine build one more time once I save up the funds. Since I already have the built cylinder head, pistons, GT2871r turbo, 1000cc injectors, megasquirt, ect. This time I'll be sure to double / triple checking my clearances when I assemble it. I'll plan on putting the custom intake and probably a better exhaust manifold made by Ottis on this one. But who knows maybe by that time I'll just ditch the m42 turbo life and go JZ ;D

Here's an old video I finally got around to uploading of how bad the crank walk was on my original engine.

-Dee

Comment

A bar of boost should get you closer to 250. I was at 16 psi and put 255 wheel down

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Just shot you an e-mail about your tune, sorry about the huge delay, I'm not on top of things outside of school and work right now. I want a custom intake manifold and an exhaust manifold that doesn't suck!

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                          A bar of boost should get you closer to 250. I was at 16 psi and put 255 wheel down
                          Was that with your built engine and ported head? I would be happy with 255whp given my current configuration.
                          Last edited by varg; 11-14-2015, 04:58 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Why's the crank walk so bad?
                            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Why's the crank walk so bad?
                              See post 81.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Firstly thank you Varg for the help. I'm finally getting everything correct in MS. It's awesome actually understanding how an engine works with timing, fuel, ect. But that's just the engineer in me talking. I'm not going to lie the amount of stuff this car has taught me since I bought it at 18 two years ago is amazing, I regret nothing I've done to this car... even though I have ruined M42 that I dumped money into. OHWELL!

I finally did some tig welding to my intercooler piping. Added the IAT bung and also a barb that goes to the ICV.

I couldn't get the coolant temp gauge on the cluster to work for some reason. I tried two known good sensors, checked the wiring, so the only thing I could think of is something in the cluster is broken or corroded. I'll deal with it whenever I take the cluster out, but in the mean time I just ordered and wired up a digital one. I think this will be nicer to have for when I am at the track since it also has a little warning light.

I put some interior pieces back in. Figured it is a little nicer to them vs. a gutted car.... If I ever put a roll cage in I'll probably gut the car but for now half an interior will do. Still need to put the steering column plastics back in and speaker kick panels but it is slowing become more and more of a car.
                                sorry crappy cellphone pictures:

Last night I finally drove my car around a little bit with my friend Andrew in his 240. First time driving it with a decent timing and fuel map. Felt amazing, I'm thrilled with how responsive the little T25 is at 7psi. Andrew's 240 has an SR in it with the same turbo and same amount of boost and he was saying he really had to put his foot in it to keep up with me. So if I had to venture a guess I'm probably just shy of what a stock SR is making lol.
                                Again sorry blurry cellphone picture.

Will be doing more with the car this weekend and trying to get it more dialed in. I do need to remake my exhaust, it is loud as hell inside the car and drones when cruising, it also will backfire pretty loud when coming off throttle. And apparently, according to Andrew, it occasionally is shooting fireballs. So going to add a resonator, muffler, and some V-band flanges at some point in the near future.
                                -Dee

Comment

Working...
                                X