Andrew's Defender 90 3.2i Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrew's Defender 90 3.2i Project

This is my current project. Hopefully no one get’s upset there’s no E30 content here. :)

I’ve decided to replace the old V8 in my 1994 Land Rover Defender 90 with an S52.

If you don’t already know, BMW owned Land Rover from 1994 to 2000 and they put the M52 into the Defender 2.8i (sold in South Africa between 1997 and 2002) and also the diesel M51 into the P38 Range Rover 2.5 D/DSE (1995-2001), so luckily most of the major parts to do this swap are available. I just need to get the correct bellhousing, engine mounts, clutch, and flywheel, etc.

I found the bellhousing I need on eBay UK from a seller who was a pleasure to deal with. (Edit: I realized the 2.8i clutch housing is specific and I sourced one from South Africa.)

I got a stellar deal on a new clutch and dual mass flywheel from carparts4less.co.uk for £545 and they shipped it via DHL which arrived in only 2 days!

Now I mostly just need to pick up some of the smaller items like the accessories and hoses, etc. The only major obstacle I foresee at this point is that the steering box in the Defender will be in the way of the power steering pump and possibly also the alternator. BMW/Land Rover didn’t have to deal with that problem since all the M52 powered Defenders they made were right hand drive. I plan to get to work on it around June when the weather is nice. :)
    Last edited by Andrew325is; 10-18-2023, 12:59 PM. Reason: Updating out-of-date info.
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Looking forward to see this pan out!
    Last edited by Ray Smoodiver; 02-09-2014, 06:07 PM.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
    RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Upset? This is badass. Kudo's to you sir.

Comment

I always wondered why people M52/M54 swapped these things. Makes sense now.

I'll be watching this.

Comment

If you can't fit a mechanical ps pump a Mercedes A class electrical ps pump can be fitted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
            If you can't fit a mechanical ps pump a Mercedes A class electrical ps pump can be fitted.

Hey good to know! Thanks! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
              Hey good to know! Thanks! :)
              Racers use these and similar ;)

For water pump if the mechanical belt unit cannot be ran a e92 n55/54 electric water pump can be fitted.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Be careful with electric power steering pumps. They're a common issue on Minis, burning up and stuff.

Awesome project, man! Glad to see you around again. I used to see you driving down 257th occasionally when I still went to Mt. Hood.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Okay, thanks Austin!

Comment

Racers use these and similar ;)

For water pump if the mechanical belt unit cannot be ran a e92 n55/54 electric water pump can be fitted.
                    Okay, awesome. I'm looking at some A Class power steering pumps on eBay and I noticed there's different part numbers like A1684660401, A1684660501, and A1684660601. Do you know if it matters which one I get?

Comment

You've caught my attention! Always loved D90s and my only real off road experience is in a D90.

2004 Turbo Diesel. Sweeeet ride and so easy to drive. One day I will own my very own. Sub'd

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                      DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                        Okay, awesome. I'm looking at some A Class power steering pumps on eBay and I noticed there's different part numbers like A1684660401, A1684660501, and A1684660601. Do you know if it matters which one I get?
                        No clue here; it's been a while.

Check and compared output pressure specifics? It will be interesting to see how close the spec is to the land rover

Comment

No clue here; it's been a while.

Check and compared output pressure specifics? It will be interesting to see how close the spec is to the land rover

Okay, that's a good idea. Hopefully I can find that info.

Comment

Okay, so I've actually found some published data for the Range Rover Classic, which would have the same system as the Defender at http://workshop-manuals.com/landrove...tion/steering/. It's power steering pump operates at 70-77 bar, or 1000-1100 psi, at 1000 rev/min. The Mercedes A Class pump with part # A1684660401 operates at 73 bar, or about 1050 psi, according to the label on one I found. That's spot on! I've crossed referenced the Mercedes pump part #'s and they are interchangeable so they must all be pretty much the same.
                            Last edited by Andrew325is; 02-11-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I installed some new carpet in the truck today. It's commercial with a foam backing. The square yard pieces are typically about $25 each, but I got some for free. :) It was convenient that the load bay is exactly 1 yard wide so I only had to cut a small piece to fill in back there. (The images are slightly out of focus because I was trying out a Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7 portrait lens.)

Comment

Working...
                              X