No announcement yet.

Kadunza S54 ITB Adapter Plate Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait for the final product. I am building my S52 right now, and I anticipate 315-325 to the tires. It would be interesting to see how much more I can squeeze out of it.
    "Driving anything else would be uncivilised"

Comment

Also while the S54 is a great engine, it is much more sensitive to oil starvation than the M5X group of engines, and things like rebuilding the dual VANOS are much more expensive.

This product could get you an ITB setup for significantly cheaper than anything else on the market, especially given Robert's price included a tune.

Are the throttles large? Yeah. The S54 revs to 8000rpm and has an insane head right from the factory - this is factored in to the ID of the throttles. You can have a throttle body that is too large, and slows flow entering the engine enough to reduce power.

You won't be getting these if you want more power on the low end. Stick with an OBD2 manifold for that.

For an NA build where top end is important, I think these can provide some gains.

Jenvey has an ITB kit they developed for the M52. Their throttles are 45mm ID. Given a cammed S52, 50mm doesn't sound too crazy.

Comment

What shop is RE? Sorry Im out of the loop :)

VAC is now selling ATI dampers and Colby Colbs on BF.c is selling a larger diameter ATI damper for higher revs.

Sure the ITBs need supporting mods to get real gain....but thats a given. 50mm isn't really too big for a ~3L. Not like a S54 is unstreetable.
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Most guys with stockish M5X engines aren't the target audience i would think as they are probably not looking to spend this sort of coin; it’s the guys who are modded.
          With throttle size it’s more of a hp/cylinder thing and it’s not a golden rule. Obviously the inlet runner ideally tapers down from airbox to the valve so depending how far from the valves the throttles are located all comes into it what size throttles will work best. The biggest effect of oversize runner diameter is in the midrange. It has to be a really really mismatched design (too large, too short, and poor flowing / laid out air box) to lose top end power.
          A 3.2L S54 turning 7k+ will move a fair “volume” of air, an 3.2L S52 will move an identical “volume” but due to the additional restrictions the amount of mass flow is less in the S52 (lower density =lower VE) and this why it makes less hp without addressing those issues. Address those issues and reap the rewards
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            Most guys with stockish M5X engines aren't the target audience i would think as they are probably not looking to spend this sort of coin; it’s the guys who are modded.
            With throttle size it’s more of a hp/cylinder thing and it’s not a golden rule. Obviously the inlet runner ideally tapers down from airbox to the valve so depending how far from the valves the throttles are located all comes into it what size throttles will work best. The biggest effect of oversize runner diameter is in the midrange. It has to be a really really mismatched design (too large, too short, and poor flowing / laid out air box) to lose top end power.
            A 3.2L S54 turning 7k+ will move a fair “volume” of air, an 3.2L S52 will move an identical “volume” but due to the additional restrictions the amount of mass flow is less in the S52 (lower density =lower VE) and this why it makes less hp without addressing those issues. Address those issues and reap the rewards
            Digger your expert opinion on this plz

Comment

Great idea making something bolt on using OEM parts, but as others have outlined i think for the majority of your customers they will have throttles that are just far too large for their setup.

Are there other smaller, readily available throttles that could be used instead? around 48mm would be on the money. Then again i am sure that defeats the purpose of what you wanted to achieve.

Comment

its good to see people doing NA builds, i'm not interested in turbos and overpowering the chassis. it is not always about making the highest numbers

Yes.

Looking forward to seeing the real world results of this project.
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Subscribed!
                  84 325e Burgundrot S52 M Tech 1.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250109

Comment

Originally posted by King Mufasa View Post
                    Digger your expert opinion on this plz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-325i...8f0eaa&vxp=mtr
                    looks like runners same size and length? the plenum looks better with actual pressure recovery instead of air dumping into the plenum from the centre. is there a nice radiused entry to the runners?

is it me or is the runner angle different?
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

looks like runners same size and length? the plenum looks better with actual pressure recovery instead of air dumping into the plenum from the centre. is there a nice radiused entry to the runners?

is it me or is the runner angle different?
                      They are same lenght and not at an angle.

yes I would imagine it would be better than the stock on its centre location

I think so, the entry is flared like trumpets, more images on the link.

Comment

cant see it providing a massive benefit with identical length since it will tune at the same as the OEM one unless the runner cross sectional area is different and the taper is different altering the overall volume of the runner

if it flows better there might be topend gains, or it might benefit from being able to use a bigger throttle body but cant say how much.

Comment

where do you get an 80-100mm throttle body? 540i?
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

The center inlet on the M5x manifolds is actually quote good. Better than many side inlet style manifolds. The side inlet is done mainly for packaging reasons.

The flow to each runner in the center inlet manifolds is pretty well matched. Your main improvements would be in the length and taper angle of the manifold runners.
                            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                              The center inlet on the M5x manifolds is actually quote good. Better than many side inlet style manifolds. The side inlet is done mainly for packaging reasons.

The flow to each runner in the center inlet manifolds is pretty well matched. Your main improvements would be in the length and taper angle of the manifold runners.
                              IMO the central inlet is done for packaging reasons on BMW inline 6's. imagine trying to fit an airbox/filter assembly then a bit of pipe then the MAF between the engine and radiator.

the ebay manifold copies the basic chosen layout for performance manifolds for inline 6 engines including the CSL and it not really a side entry say like the M70. BMW changed the CSL to the angled entry from the regular S54 central entry not for packaging reasons at all. it offers well defined performance improvements when done correctly

Comment

The CSL plenum is gigantic so there is no chance of air starvation to any of the cylinders. Also, the tuning is alpha N so there is no MAF or anything on the end to make the setup possible.

The side entry can work fine, but in most peoples cases its worse than factory due to poor design.
                                -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Working...
                                X