Kadunza S54 ITB Adapter Plate Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I should not bother, but...

for example a BMW m3 engine has 50mm ITB but they also have 2 very long ports in the head that are only equivalent diameter of 37mm this is the high velocity section of the intake and the butterfly is effectively out near the bell-mouth. This is why everyone who adapts M3 ITB”s onto other engines results in a spectacular failure!
    Page not found - Racehead Engineering | Racing Hardware Developments

Pick the "low hanging fruit" to pick on, I could care less...
    sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

You care enough to keep shitting in the man's thread.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
        You care enough to keep shitting in the man's thread.
        Can't blame the guy, I'd be pretty ornery too if I dropped $10k into a stock eta.

Grade A Google desktop mechanic. He seems to know so much for someone who has done so little for the community.

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
          The center inlet on the M5x manifolds is actually quote good. Better than many side inlet style manifolds. The side inlet is done mainly for packaging reasons.

The flow to each runner in the center inlet manifolds is pretty well matched. Your main improvements would be in the length and taper angle of the manifold runners.
          m50 all runners drawing (flow is 3.2L 100% VE 8000rpm)

angled entry all runners drawing (flow is 3.2L 100% VE 8000rpm)

All runners never are drawing at the same time only 2 to 2.5 runners are drawing depending on cam duration

m50 runners 1&4 drawing (flow is 3.2L 100% VE 8000rpm) 11% variance

angled entry runners 1&4 drawing (flow is 3.2L 100% VE 8000rpm)
          2.5% variance

no questions that the angled entry provides better distribution. with the OEM runners 3 & 4 see more flow than its neighbours due to the poor design. air just dumps into the volume and the velocity of the air means it has difficulty turning corners.

most people flow test individual runners but that is useless for looking at distribution
          Last edited by digger; 04-21-2014, 07:23 AM.
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Digger, you are right that the numbers I have seen were flow for individual runners. Your analysis using two cylinders pulling at the same time gives a lot of great info! I stand corrected :)
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

yeah the flow of individual runners is still important because this shows flow potential.

if flowing each runner in isolation shows differences these are most likely to be from different geometry of the runner itself. however since all the m50 runners are the same size and shape then the flow will be similar in each when flowed individually. The plenum is large and the entry is large as well so these wont affect flow bench results as much as the runners themselves.

with say the m20 this is not the case some runners have much tighter bends and internal casting details that leave alot to be desired.

the plenum would need to be particularly terrible to show uneven flow on the flow bench on a manifold where runners are identical
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

subscribed for updates! This gives me more motivation to get cracking on my s52 ITB project!
                -Brad
                My E30: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...50#post3916850

Comment

sub'd
                  - Frank
                  '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
                  http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
                  Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

Subscribed
                    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                      m50 all runners drawing (flow is 3.2L 100% VE 8000rpm)

angled entry all runners drawing (flow is 3.2L 100% VE 8000rpm)

All runners never are drawing at the same time only 2 to 2.5 runners are drawing depending on cam duration

m50 runners 1&4 drawing (flow is 3.2L 100% VE 8000rpm) 11% variance

angled entry runners 1&4 drawing (flow is 3.2L 100% VE 8000rpm)
                      2.5% variance

no questions that the angled entry provides better distribution. with the OEM runners 3 & 4 see more flow than its neighbours due to the poor design. air just dumps into the volume and the velocity of the air means it has difficulty turning corners.

most people flow test individual runners but that is useless for looking at distribution
                      Wow, I knew the M50 intake was a bit off on the flow but that really put it into perspective. I wonder if that explains the common drop of torque you see in most S52's swapped with the M50 intake. Almost every dyno I see has a drop then a rise around 3k or so.

Wonder if I was to use this adapter for the S54 ITB's what intake would I use?
                      Last edited by Aviator; 04-28-2014, 08:07 AM.
                      84 325e Burgundrot S52 M Tech 1.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250109

Comment

Originally posted by Aviator View Post
                        Wow, I knew the M50 intake was a bit off on the flow but that really put it into perspective. I wonder if that explains the common drop of torque you see in most S52's swapped with the M50 intake. Almost every dyno I see has a drop then a rise around 3k or so.

Wonder if I was to use this adapter for the S54 ITB's what intake would I use?
                        the effect i showed is not a low rpm thing, it would show up once you started to make power and as the mass flow levels increase would slowly get worse. everyone who has logged AFR for individual cylinders says the same thing there is heaps of variation more than you think with OEM type manifolds. AFR with a single sensor is an average.

i would use the stock one or modified stock one if it fit purely as a start point and go from there once you know the exact space envelope....i cant see it being the best thing for this combo but you need to start somewhere

Comment

Any new updates?
                          84 325e Burgundrot S52 M Tech 1.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250109

Comment

Been busy with the Vintage and Brodeo but still working on the throttle linkage setup.

Comment

So how is it coming along? Keep it up.
                              hell idk sometimes you just have to wing it. JW

Comment

Still back and forth with my CNC guy on the linkage. Just signed a lease on a new shop so the move will slow everything down.

Comment

Working...
                                X