• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweet tail lights

Comment

LED Bulb Conversion
      July 2019

Looking for more visibility to other drivers, I've changed the following bulbs to LEDs:
      • Front running lamps / turn signals.
      • Rear turn signals
      • Rear running lamps
      • Rear brake lights

I used some random Amazon LED lamps. If these fail prematurely I will upgrade to name-brand units.

Note that I painted the visible rear LED bulbs using glass paint (see earlier DIY Startec post in this thread) so that they show up coloured in my rear lenses.

I've added resistors to my turn signal circuit to prevent fast flashing due to reduced LED load.
      I opted to add these under the dash by tapping into the wiring to the flasher stalk. (Blu/Red through 2x 6ohm resistors to ground, and Blu/Blk through 2x 6ohm resistors to ground).
      This keeps the resistors out of the elements and in a centralized location. I can also replace the flasher stalk unit & wiring to convert back to stock in the future.

I attempted to mount these resistors by zip tying them to the ABS module, but found that they got quite hot (+100c) after a short amount of time with the hazard flashers running.
      This makes sense as they are 6ohm resistors dumping about 30w of energy each!

I ended up mounting them flat to the bottom of the ABS module, which acts as a giant heatsink.

A better solution would be to use an LED rated flasher without resistors. However I wanted to keep my original flasher, as I like the old-school sound and feel.

The LED conversion makes a dramatic difference both during the day and at night. I can actually pull into my garage at night with only my running lights (headlights off) and see clearly.

Here are some pictures attempting to show the brightness, and a video showing a comparison between incandescent and LED bulbs. Note that I had not yet added the resistors when I recorded the video.

Added LED Turn Signal Bulbs to my BMW E30. Fast flash can be fixed by changing to an LED flasher module or adding load resistors.See details at my build thre...

Last edited by Panici; 05-25-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Hidden Headunit, Power & Ground Upgrade, New Project Car
        August 2019

The custom hidden amplifier setup I had as a "temporary" measure finally stopped working, so I replaced it with a used Alpine CDE-141, mounted in my glovebox.
        I'd like to clean up and finalize the glovebox mounting, this was done quickly to have music for our trip up north!
        Unfortunately the shared/common speaker ground setup didn't work with the headunit. My first attempted fix was to run four grounds to the OEM amplifier wiring splice in the trunk.
        Technically this worked, however it picked up a LOT of alternator/engine noise.
        My second fix (which is working so far, still need to wire the front speakers) was to run aftermarket speaker wiring from the headunit to the rear amp connector in the trunk for the rear speakers. This sounds great (eliminated noise), but I have to look at aftermarket speaker wiring in the interior until I make the cabin waterproof and install the original carpet.

Speaking of water, my central locking stopped working. Upon investigation, I found my central locking module *full* of water. Obviously I'm still having water ingress issues in that front fender area.

In a further attempt to reduce stereo noise, I installed a Bavarian Restoration Performance Power and Ground Cable Kit, as I previously had no ground straps on the hood & valve cover.

Also took the car up north again to visit my Uncle's cottage. Car ran great, and had just enough ground clearance to get into the cottage (only scraped the exhaust a few times on high rocks). We had a tough time over the washboard gravel roads, I'd like to go over the suspension and make sure everything is still tight.

As a final point, I bought a new car! Picked up a 1990 Mazda Miata as a fun/casual project. This is a bucket list car for me, and I bought it for only $1800.
        Here is a before/after comparison of my progress so far, more details in the build thread in my signature. (http://miata.panici.ca)

Comment

Life Happens - Finishing up 2019

Had an interesting end to my 2019.
          Summer finished up pretty well, took the bike to the track (Grand Bend) twice.
          Also got the Miata to an autocross event!

Then on a negative note, I separated from my wife at the beginning of November.
          The circumstances are out of my control. All I can do is try to make the best of it.
          I'm thankful that I still have a roof over my head, and (at least for this winter) am able to store the E30 in my heated garage, away from the elements.

Comment

Sucks what happened, but as you said you have a roof over your head and you still have your E30. Could be worse. Stay positive, you'll get through it
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Panici
              Had an interesting end to my 2019.
              Wow was not expecting that, sorry to hear. Scary to think that things that were once so sure can change so drastically, here's to hoping 2020 brings some better times. As Simon said, stay positive and count your blessings, things could always be worse.
              '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Sucks to read about your situation, I feel your pain as am undergoing the same process right now.
                The vehicles look great though, especially parked together. Thanks for sharing the LED conversion
                '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Sucks what happened, but as you said you have a roof over your head and you still have your E30. Could be worse. Stay positive, you'll get through it
                  Thanks Simon. Could always be worse, thankful for what I still have in my life.

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                  Wow was not expecting that, sorry to hear. Scary to think that things that were once so sure can change so drastically, here's to hoping 2020 brings some better times. As Simon said, stay positive and count your blessings, things could always be worse.
                  I wasn't expecting it either, blindsided me not more then six months after my father passed away. Scary indeed, one minute you go from having your future children's names picked out, and the next you're by yourself again.

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                  Sucks to read about your situation, I feel your pain as am undergoing the same process right now.
                  The vehicles look great though, especially parked together. Thanks for sharing the LED conversion
                  Sorry to hear that, it's certainly challenging. Personally I'm glad my 2019 is over, as it was easily the worst year of my life.
                  Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad I have cars to be passionate about, it gives me a reason to keep slugging away!

Comment

Motor Swap, Round 2!

I didn't trust the engine I pulled from that E39 way back on Page 1(?!) of this thread. It sat outside under a tarp for 6 months, and has moved houses multiple times.
                    So now it's a spare/parts engine!

I picked up a cheap E36 328ic, had a few friends over for a weekend, and pulled that sucker out!

-

Then I got to work prepping the engine for swapping into the E30.
                    • Welded the oil pump nut
                    • Installed the front sump pickup & pan.
                    • Installed EGR blockoff plates
                    • Mounted the motor to some wood blocks.
                    • Went through and sliced up the original harness, labelled everything appropriately.
                    • Modified the new dipstick for the front-sump pan.
                    • New rear main seal, new accessory belt.
                    • Made brackets to mount starter in place with transmission removed.
                    • AC Deleted

Now onto the wiring. Made my own harness to run a Megasquirt MS3X Standalone ECU. Running full sequential ignition and injection, knock sensor module. Standalone ECU is a big step towards my eventual Turbo plans!

It took some testing to find that I needed an M50 camshaft sensor using a 1K pullup resistor to +5v.
                    Also needed the DIYAutotune Hall Effect crankshaft sensor with pullup resistor to +12v. Key point here was that this needed to be mounted to the front (OBD1) crank sensor location. I could not get it to read correctly with the rear sensor location in the block.

Hooked up the E36 exhaust (sans muffler), and cooling system. Made a timing light adapter for the COP system, and set the timing.
                    Ran it up to full temperature with great success! (see video below)

Starting and running my BMW M52B28 on the bench. Running a Megasquirt MS3X Standalone ECU. Built a custom wiring harness.Full sequential Injection & Ignition...

Unfortunately as these things go, just found out my landlord is selling the house I'm renting. Thankfully he is giving me three months to move, takes the stress away from moving a shop full of tools, a basement full of car parts, and my mini-fleet of vehicles.

As I know I'll be doing a lot of things "while I'm in there" the motor swap into the car will have to wait for now. But at least it's running and ready to go! :D

Last edited by Panici; 05-25-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Moving Houses
                      March-April 2020

Over a month of MANY trips, I hauled everything out of my house and garage using my Jeep and small trailer. Moved about two hours away.
                      It was a big undertaking moving everything myself, but at least I got a great workout!
                      Had some friends help me with the big items (couches, bed, etc) and move all the cars in one trip.

I spent the next two weeks organizing and storing everything I moved (garage was FULL), and eventually cleared enough space to squeeze the E30 inside.
                      A few more days and I had the garage emptied of all moving items and set up for wrenching!

I gave the E30 its first bath of the year, before tearing it down (see next post).

Comment

M20B25 Engine Removal

Work is slow due to Coronavirus; I'm making some great progress this week on the E30!

April 25th - Removed the hood, grilles, headlights, bumper, air dam.
                        April 26th - Removed the electric SPAL fan, radiator, front fenders. Made the lower cuts & brackets for the removable core support.
                        April 27th - Drilled out the upper core support spot welds, removed the core support, and finished welding & painting the modified areas.
                        April 28th - Removed coolant overflow, coil, AFM, oil cooler, throttle cables, all motor wiring. Disconnected driveshaft, shifter linkage, heater hoses, etc. Removed M20b25 !
                        April 29th - Removed ABS unit, all engine bay hardlines, ordered Chase Bays brake kit, removed all old M20 bracketry from engine bay.

Comment

Nice. I love an early 'is' with the good ol mr plow valence.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                            Nice. I love an early 'is' with the good ol mr plow valence.
                            Thanks Varg!
                            I'm doing my best to treat the car right!

Comment

Harnesses, Cleaning, & Painting

Spent a day going through the original wiring diagrams for my car and the M20 motor.
                              Figured out how to use the existing fusing and relays as much as possible with the standalone ECU.
                              The following day I removed everything I won't need from the original engine harness. What's left will be integrated with my custom engine harness when the time is right.

The next day, I pulled the car into the driveway and set to work removing all of the grime and grease. Ended up tackling the remaining Cosmolene as well. Found some rust to address while I'm in here.

Today I removed the brake booster, firewall insulation blanket, blower motor cover, and power steering rack. Spent some more elbow grease scrubbing the glue off the firewall from behind the insulation.

I painted all the rust spots with Eastwood rust encapsulator, and the subframe with a Tremclad rust enamel. Going to follow up with a top coat of either (brush-on) black Rustoleum or (sprayed) colourmatched Lachssilber as appropriate.

Also painted the blower motor cover & cowl plastic trim pieces.

I ordered some DEI Reflect-A-Cool heat shield for the engine-side of the firewall, and I plan to use a butyl-based sound deadening on the interior in the future.

Last edited by Panici; 03-04-2021, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Z3 Steering Rack, Blower Motor, Paint

Assembled the steering linkage with a Garagistic kit and brand new OEM Giubo.
                                Installed the old E30 inner tie rods on the new rack, chased the threads with a tap, and installed new E30 outer balljoints.

Looking forward to the difference between the stock 4 turns lock-to-lock and the Z3 2.7 turns!

Replaced the blower motor with one from my old '86 parts car, and installed a new blower motor resistor.
                                There was noticeable shaft play on the old motor, which probably accounted for the terrible sound and vibration!

Shot some colourmatched paint over the rust paint. Unfortunately the paint cans are a few years old, and went bad/had nozzle sealing issues. This caused splattering in the paintjob.
                                I'll need to wetsand this back down and shoot some fresh paint in the future.

Also spent some time degreasing various small parts by hand, but I didn't take a picture of those.

Last edited by Panici; 05-05-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X