No announcement yet.

Panici's '87 325is E30 - Boosted In Bronze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used 3M cavity wax and fluid film. The thing I like best is when you can apply it with compressed air though an applicator gun. You just get a better coating. Fluid film seems more like a maintenance item, where Cavity / cosmoline seems more permanent. So I think its down to quality of application, vs how much till get washed out.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by WAKman View Post
      Just went through the thread quickly, but will return for a closer look--amazing work!
      Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
      Yeah, this is still great even after all these years.

One of my favorite R3v threads ever.

Keep up the excellent work.
      Thank you both! The words of encouragement go a long way!

Originally posted by Northern View Post

I blasted the inside and mating surfaces with fluid film when I did my subframe, but something like this is probably thicker and like half the price:
      https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...-0477921p.html

I think you're fine using pretty much anything that is going to dry into a gel and not wash away immediately
      Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
      I've used 3M cavity wax and fluid film. The thing I like best is when you can apply it with compressed air though an applicator gun. You just get a better coating. Fluid film seems more like a maintenance item, where Cavity / cosmoline seems more permanent. So I think its down to quality of application, vs how much till get washed out.
      Hmm you've both given me some points to think about.
      Thinking I will likely import something to get the best quality possible. The cost is worth it IMO.

Comment

Oh, did I forget to mention the other reason the motor is out again??

Stay tuned!

Comment

Jelly of that manifold. Wish I dropped more coin on mine originally because it's not something that's easy to upgrade later.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

nice manifold. is that level motorsport? as in that guy rocco who was racing the turbo widebody e30 in hillclimb?
            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
            Shadetree30

Comment

Well DAYUM. Someone aint messin around. Should be sweet!

'86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                Jelly of that manifold. Wish I dropped more coin on mine originally because it's not something that's easy to upgrade later.
                Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                nice manifold. is that level motorsport? as in that guy rocco who was racing the turbo widebody e30 in hillclimb?
                Yeah, it's a really nice piece by Level Motorsport. Twin scroll to match the turbo.

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                Well DAYUM. Someone aint messin around. Should be sweet!
                That Precision 6062 sure looks the business! It really is oversized for my power goals, but it should still spool up well with the twin scroll.

------------------------

Single Fuel Pump Conversion, Modified Brake Booster, More Engine Bay Shaving

While I'm waiting for the body shop to be ready, I figured I would install my new Aeromotive 340 Stealth in-tank fuel pump.

Had to shorten the tube on top of the pump, as this one is a little taller then the OEM unit. I also switched from the one large hose clamp pictured holding the pump on to two stainless steel zipties, so the pump had enough room to actually drop into the tank!

I discovered after going through the factory wiring diagrams, that the majority of the OEM fuel pump wiring is sufficient to run the larger pump.
                The only reason the factory fuel pump fuse is 7.5A is to protect the thinner 18ga wiring going to the original low-pressure lift pump.

Turns out the original wiring before the split to the dual-pumps is 14ga, so I re-pinned the factory in-tank fuel pump connector with 14ga wires and connected where the factory wiring used to split off to the dual pumps at S341. Used the original ground point G300 as well.

To finish off the conversion, I installed new Gates 1/2" fuel injection rated hose from top of the in-tank pump to a brass 1/2"->5/16" reducer. Then 5/16" line into the fuel filter.

If I had to do this again, I would put a reducer right at the tank output and run 5/16" line on top of the tank.
                Due to the large 1/2" line on top of the tank, I had to drop the tank (full of fuel) to run the hose without pinching.

-----

The other small project was shortening the rod for the X3 brake booster. I removed the silver plate from the back of the booster, so it should fit a bit nicer in the engine bay.
                I didn't know this was removable when I installed the booster originally, as then I wouldn't have had to slot the mounting holes on the firewall. No matter, I made some patch pieces for the slotted holes and welded them up (X3 booster has only two mounting studs).

I shortened the rod on the booster a little extra to lower the brake pedal, which should make heel-toe downshifting easier.
                Don't mind the blob of weld, I didn't bother cleaning it up (I had the wire speed a bit high). Worry not, the 240v welder was cranked up to full power and there was plenty of penetration.

-----

I also did some minor bay shaving. Two small brackets in the battery tray area, one of which was trapping some rust behind it. Had to make the repair from inside the wheel well. Also took care of the pass-through holes for the A/C lines, battery cable, and ABS wheel speed sensors.

-

Last edited by Panici; 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Motor Disassembly & Chassis to Bodyshop

Had the E30 flat-bedded to the bodyshop without issue. While the car is off for paint, I'm working on the motor.

This is my first time working on motor internals, so I've been taking my time and learning as I go!

Currently have the head disassembled; actually just dropped it off at the machine shop today for skimming.
                  Front timing cover is also off after I made the mother-of-all crank removal tools with a spare crank pulley.

Not pictured: I re-threaded the cluster temperature sensor for use in the M52 head, and started cleaning up the ZF320 transmission.
                  I also have compiled an extensive list of parts I'll be ordering shortly. Going to replace all the motor gaskets, rebuild the vanos, repair the ZF320 detents, new water pump, new timing chain guides, new exhaust manifold studs & nuts, etc.

My next step will be stripping the rest of the block accessories, cleaning, and painting.

Comment

Engine work is the "final frontier" that I haven't really had the confidence to mess with, and luckily I haven't needed to (yet). Really cool to see you tearing into it and learning as you go. Also, super exciting to see the car on the flatbed getting ready to be all prettied up!
                    '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Love the crank holding tool. Some big changes coming!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                        Engine work is the "final frontier" that I haven't really had the confidence to mess with, and luckily I haven't needed to (yet). Really cool to see you tearing into it and learning as you go. Also, super exciting to see the car on the flatbed getting ready to be all prettied up!
                        Taking it apart was the easy bit! We'll see how putting it back together goes.

Thankfully there are tons of resources these days with facebook groups and YouTube videos in addition to the forums.
                        Nice benefit of the M52 is there are a ton of E36 guys running boosted setups, so easy to find help when things come up.

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                        Love the crank holding tool. Some big changes coming!
                        Haha perhaps it was a bit excessive, but it certainly did the job!

-----------------------------------------------------

Just a few pictures to post this time. Has been slow going unfortunately.

It's been a job by itself trying to figure out and sort all the parts I need, things constantly out of stock or backordered it seems.
                        Still waiting on a bunch of motor, trans, rear diff refresh parts from PelicanParts, but I think I have everything ordered now that I will need.

I have big bag of AN fittings which is exciting as I've never used them before. Wherever possible I'm going to use black AN line and fittings to keep things clean.
                        Also changing the (imo overkill) AN line setup for the dual wastegates/boost solenoid that the previous owner of this turbo stuff was using to a more traditional black silicone and brass fitting setup.

Think I also have everything ordered I'll need to fab up the recirculate piping from the dual gates back to the main exhaust. It'll be a tight fit but will be way better then atmosphere dumps in the end!

Going with a Rallyroad Billet fuel rail, but keeping my E36 FPR valve. So there were more AN fittings to figure out for that. Also have all the electrical connectors and crimp tool for the ID1050x injectors that i'll need to put onto my wiring harness.

I spent some time degreasing and scrubbing the ZF320 trans, so that is all ready for seals and detent repair when the parts come in.
                        Also did a couple rounds of degreasing and wire-wheel on my new 2.79 LSD. Going to need some more work before getting new seals though.

I did clean up the pistons and block deck. It's not a mirror finish or anything, but it's smooth and flat and will seal with the cutring headgasket.

Have some updates from the bodyshop as well. They've swapped the rear quarter panel with the one I cut from another car.
                        They pulled the glass and headliner, and I figured while it's apart I should splurge on a brand new black headliner from CAtuned.
                        So far I'm happy I have the car with the guys at Delta Park Auto. I asked them do as much work in metal as possible/minimize bondo usage, and so far so good.

Off-topic, but I've also been playing around with the not-so-serious project Miata. Added some black accents to the rear end, and replaced the wood block holding my driver's seat up with something more substantial. 😂 Have a bunch more planned including a real/functional roll bar, custom shifter setup, and Speeduino-based standalone ECU.
                        More in my miata build thread if you're interested at http://miata.panici.ca

Last edited by Panici; 04-26-2021, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Liking the E30 updates, and the miata is also a breath of fresh air
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Motor Almost Back Together

It's been a while since I've updated, here is some progress for you guys!

Polished up some rough spots on the cams and caps (have a spare head if these fail). Installed the cams, and new exhaust manifold studs.
                            Cleaned out all 24 valve seats. Carbon that was shoved in there from the head being hot-tanked was hanging a few valves open.

Cleaned and installed a modified timing cover with turbo oil drain bung. New timing chain guides, new front crank seal, new timing cover gaskets.

Head is back on with a Cutring headgasket and ARP headstuds. Also rebuilt the single VANOS unit with new seals and an anti-rattle kit.

Timed the motor from scratch and installed new upper timing chain guides, main timing chain tensioner spring, vanos gasket, and valve cover gaskets.

On the home stretch now with the engine assembly!

( Oh, and since you liked the Miata update, here is one more. I threw a (mostly) eBay turbo setup on it! Build thread for that is http://miata.panici.ca )

Comment

Updates From The Bodyshop - Ready For Paint

Went to see the car last week after the guys at Delta Park Auto have been putting in some serious bodywork!
                              As you can tell, the rear quarter panel replacement went well. Can't even tell that it was hit now.

Rob (IG @the_wizard_of_rob) has been doing a great job at taking care of all my fine detail requests like stripping the original seam sealer and reapplying OEM BMW stuff nicely. I've always been of the mindset that all these little things add up to a finished product that is something special.

I don't think I've ever seen this car so straight, not a ding or line out of place on it.

Also decided on a colour. Going with a variation of Audi Ipanema Brown Metallic (IPANEMABRAUN).

Last edited by Panici; 07-17-2021, 04:47 PM.

Comment

We Have Paint!

Here is our collective first-look at the paint colour!
                                I have yet to see the car in person, but it looks fantastic in these pictures the bodyshop sent over today!

Comment

Working...
                                X