Aussie 318is - now S54B32 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thriftshopclassics View Post
    Have you fixed up the aircon yet? I would love to ask you some questions about it when you do, I am looking at doing the R-134a conversion to mine sometime soon. I have found this thread on e30 tech to be really informative, might help you out too...http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113435
    Thanks for the info, I actually have no idea what to do to get the aircon going with the new engine, so going to have to school myself to work out what's going on. I'll take a look at the link and let you know what ends up happening.
    '90 318is

Comment

Gauge mounting plate arrived today from the group buy, exactly what I'll be needing.

Any recommendations on gauge types/brands and shops?

'90 318is

Comment

Turbo mufflers and catalytic converters - what is recommended?

There are so many types I have no idea what to get. I need something with single 3" in and out. Not too crazy loud if possible. The cat just needs to flow well - I'll probably get the same brand as the muffler.

Thoughts/feelings?
        '90 318is

Comment

For bolt-on performance exhaust systems and parts like headers, mufflers, cutouts, and catalytic converters, Summit Racing has the lowest prices and widest selection for your car or truck.

Choose your poison, Cheaper to buy from here plus shipping than buying from here.

Magna flow cat, Vibrant resonator and Hooker Aero chamber rear muffler is what i use. All purchased fro Summit (using Summit exhaust V-bands too)

Comment

I am currently working on a nearly identical swap

sr20 black top
            91 318is
            top mount td06 20g
            chip tune z32 maf
            Porsche 944 brake booster
            venhill universal throttle cable
            braided stainless slave cyl line for a 240sx (fits perfectly in the e30)
            os giken super single
            wiring specialties universal swap harness
            cx racing ebay fmic
            m42 radiator
            spal electric puller fan and oem sr20 fan

I think I am slightly further ahead of you i just dropped the motor int he other day and will be making the motor mounts soon. Curious to see if we come up with the same solutions.

Here are some of my pics if you want to see the direction I'm heading. https://www.flickr.com/photos/511702...7648591537758/

Comment

Sweet work man, looking forward to more.

Comment

Originally posted by kameleon View Post
                http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...rder=Ascending

Choose your poison, Cheaper to buy from here plus shipping than buying from here.

Magna flow cat, Vibrant resonator and Hooker Aero chamber rear muffler is what i use. All purchased fro Summit (using Summit exhaust V-bands too)
                Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at what they have. So many options! The Magnaflow stuff looks ok though. Does your cat have a heat shield on it?

Edit: Thinking this Magnaflow cat and Hooker Maximum Flow muffler:

Free Shipping - MagnaFlow Universal Spun Catalytic Converters with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Catalytic Converters at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - Hooker Maximum Flow Mufflers with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Mufflers at Summit Racing.

Originally posted by chrisbmx68 View Post
                I am currently working on a nearly identical swap

sr20 black top
                91 318is
                top mount td06 20g
                chip tune z32 maf
                Porsche 944 brake booster
                venhill universal throttle cable
                braided stainless slave cyl line for a 240sx (fits perfectly in the e30)
                os giken super single
                wiring specialties universal swap harness
                cx racing ebay fmic
                m42 radiator
                spal electric puller fan and oem sr20 fan
                Awesome! I'll check out your pics. Is the smaller booster just for manifold clearance, or down pipe clearance too?

Are you going to be using the 944 MC as well?

I'll take a look at those throttle cables, I haven't thought about what to use there.

For the clutch slave cylinder, is the e30 one not suitable? I might run a Nismo one for that too then, assuming it's straight swap too...
                Last edited by AusScare; 01-07-2015, 02:31 AM.
                '90 318is

Comment

I Think a stock booster would JUST fit with a top mount manifold which I assume you are using with a turbo that size. Anything bottom mount is super crazy close based on some pictures ive seen of similar swaps. I previously had an m50 swap and was using the 944 booster with stock e30 master for that so I am just leaving it alone.

I am planning on using the stock e30 clutch master cylinder with a 3/4 slave cyl http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Clutc...cea4ff&vxp=mtr

From what I gather the bigger the bore the better the feel on the e30 the nismo slave would be perfect but its super pricy. stock is 11/16ths nismo is 13/16ths so I am going to give that 10 dollar 3/4 unit a shot first.

In terms of downpipe stuff I am using an AKG aluminum steering coupler to keep the rubber one from melting out and also because I have a manual steering setup. Since we have airbag cars we have more clearance than the early guys so I think all the stock stuff can be retained. There is about an 1/8th inch of clearance between the steering shaft and the frame rail/fuel lines with a 3 inch tube. I will probably go with 2.5 inch just to be safe, you might have to get creative to fit a 3" dp and not melt the fuel lines.

this is the clearance im working with, that one fuel line is just dangling loose for the time being.

p.s. the bracket for the clutch master hard line is going to have to get removed from the chassis. no need for it anyway since im just using a 30 inch braided line for the clutch stuff.

Comment

Sick build man cant wait to see this thing shred tires

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by chrisbmx68 View Post
                      I Think a stock booster would JUST fit with a top mount manifold which I assume you are using with a turbo that size. Anything bottom mount is super crazy close based on some pictures ive seen of similar swaps. I previously had an m50 swap and was using the 944 booster with stock e30 master for that so I am just leaving it alone.
                      I'll be building the top mount manifold with the engine in the car, so I'll be able to sort out clearance as I go hopefully. Worst case, get a 944 or Clio booster.

I am planning on using the stock e30 clutch master cylinder with a 3/4 slave cyl http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Clutc...cea4ff&vxp=mtr
                      Cheers for the link, I'll check that out.

In terms of downpipe stuff I am using an AKG aluminum steering coupler to keep the rubber one from melting out and also because I have a manual steering setup. Since we have airbag cars we have more clearance than the early guys so I think all the stock stuff can be retained. There is about an 1/8th inch of clearance between the steering shaft and the frame rail/fuel lines with a 3 inch tube. I will probably go with 2.5 inch just to be safe, you might have to get creative to fit a 3" dp and not melt the fuel lines.

this is the clearance im working with, that one fuel line is just dangling loose for the time being.
                      Well mine is RHD, so I don't have the steering arm there or anything. It's just a big gap, so thinking the 3" dp should have plenty of room. I'll have to set up a fair bit of heat shielding for the booster and fuel lines though.

Also I don't think I have any airbags? Mine is '90 build.

p.s. the bracket for the clutch master hard line is going to have to get removed from the chassis. no need for it anyway since im just using a 30 inch braided line for the clutch stuff.
                      Nice, I will copy you then! Where are you getting the braided line from? I need to grab one. Also are you getting a Nissan throttle cable from that site you mentioned? I'm going to be running a Group A commodore throttle, so I'll probably end up having to mess with the standard one I think.
                      '90 318is

Comment

disregard half of what I said including slave cyl line stuff I didn't realize you were opposite side drive :( mine is a 91 so my steering stuff is different

Comment

New radiator fan came in the mail. It's a Davies Craig 16" Thermatic 12v, rated at 2120 CFM.

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Therma...6-details.aspx

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150110_152225.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	10065795

Boost gauge is on the way, and I'm still working out what fittings I need for the oil pressure and water temp gauges.
                          Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:57 AM.
                          '90 318is

Comment

More bits arrived:
                            • VDO 30psi boost gauge
                            • Intake sensor
                            • Bosch 1150cc injectors

Name:	IMG_20150117_160200.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	10065798
                            Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:58 AM.
                            '90 318is

Comment

This is going to be one serious SR! I was tempted to sr20 swap my 318 before I decided to just turbo the m42. But I love the sound the vvl head makes!!

I got to see this car with a vvl head on the sr and it's just gnarly, probably one of my favorite setups.
                              -Dee
                              5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                              IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                                This is going to be one serious SR! I was tempted to sr20 swap my 318 before I decided to just turbo the m42. But I love the sound the vvl head makes!!
                                Yeah should sound good hopefully. Also looking for a stroker crank to make it a 2.2-2.3L. The head will also be modified to run on the 'big' cam lobe side all the time, so it'll sound pretty mean on idle, nice and lumpy.

Picked up a Turbosmart Race Port 52mm blow off valve for a great price:

Name:	IMG_20150207_151745.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	10065799
                                Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:59 AM.
                                '90 318is

Comment

Working...
                                X