Aussie 318is - now S54B32 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisbmx68 View Post
    progress looking good man! I finally got my setup running and driving just working through some tune and drivetrain bugs. I had even less clearance with my strut bar and m42 I actually had to grind the little ribs on the intake manifold off. Look at how much clearance there is now with the sr20.
    That looks awesome - any pics of the exhaust mani? Is that the stock brake booster/mc and did you have to move it or anything, or just change the res to a metal one?
    '90 318is

Comment

There are way to many pictures of the build on my flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/511702...57648591537758

It's a Porsche 944 booster but that's because I had an M50 swapped before this. I think it would just barely fit with the stock one. The diamond plate is just a heat shield I'm experimenting with since it gets really warm I'm the area near the downpipe. The manifold is crappy and from eBay cx racing for a Datsun 510 swap but it put the turbo and wastegate exactly where I needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisbmx68 View Post
        There are way to many pictures of the build on my flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/511702...57648591537758

It's a Porsche 944 booster but that's because I had an M50 swapped before this. I think it would just barely fit with the stock one. The diamond plate is just a heat shield I'm experimenting with since it gets really warm I'm the area near the downpipe. The manifold is crappy and from eBay cx racing for a Datsun 510 swap but it put the turbo and wastegate exactly where I needed it.
        Thanks, and sorry I realised I asked you about the booster a while ago. What sort of power are you putting down, what're your plans for traction?
        '90 318is

Comment

No worries I forgot haha, uh the tune isn't quite right yet but its probably around 300-350 ish at the moment im running 15 psi currently and I don't think I want to go much higher than 18 since I'm on stock head gasket and rods (who knows if it will even hold up at this level)

I don't really have plans for traction I have a set of nice wheels that have 205x45x16's and they are staying that way for fitment purposes but I also have some 15" kosei k1s that I might get proper sticky tires for. I did do a dual ear diff hanger upgrade from an e36 to keep wheel hop down and that seems to be working well.

Comment

Latest updates are:
            • Date set for swapping the engine over as Christmas holidays
            • Installed a 24mm front sway bar
            • Changed the oil/filter on the M42
            • Adjusted the handbrake to be mostly set at 5 clicks and fully by 7 clicks

Quick pic working on the car over the weekend:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151128_130050.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	10065816
            Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 05:11 AM.
            '90 318is

Comment

Minor update - picked up some 'quick release' bonnet pins from a guy on the local Facebook group.

They work by replacing the pins in the hinge that connects the bonnet to the body.

First step is to pop the bonnet and drill out the stock pin:

Then slot the new pin in, it's a tight fit so I know there's not going to be any movement there:

This means that to take off the bonnet, I just slot out these pins, disconnect the ground cable, washer hose and bonnet strut without having to deal with re-aligning the bonnet each time. With the impending engine swap this will probably come in handy. Cheap and effective mod.
              Last edited by AusScare; 10-15-2022, 04:44 PM.
              '90 318is

Comment

That's friggin' awesome. Do you have a link to where we can get the bonnet pins? I would love a set.
                P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

Good idea if you're going to be removing the hood/bonnet frequently. Lining that thing up is a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by badwella View Post
                    That's friggin' awesome. Do you have a link to where we can get the bonnet pins? I would love a set.
                    Ditto.
                    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

E32 brake master cylinder came in the mail. Here it is mocked up with the Clio booster:

Name:	IMG_20160323_202847.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	10071611

Should there be a gasket or something between the MC and booster?

Other parts pending purchase:

- Front M3 offset bushings
                      - Front control arms
                      - Outer tie rods
                      - Stainless brake lines

Then I'll have all the brake parts, bushings and new rear axles installed.
                      Last edited by AusScare; 10-15-2022, 04:48 PM.
                      '90 318is

Comment

No gasket needed between the MC and the booster.

Looking good man, two more random suggestions get the small billet style m3 offset bushings they will give you more down pipe/exhaust clearance.

Also I dont know what you are doing for the DS but I found this billet flange that works with std 1310 u joints. So I just ordered a custom length nissan s13 1 piece ds and put this flange on it to retain the stock diff.
                        Why You Might Need One. When doing a V8 swap into a BMW, the BMW U-joint is non-serviceable and requires special machining to replace. Stealth Conversion’s heavy-duty BMW driveshaft conversion flange has the same bolt pattern and pilot dimensions as the stock BMW driveshaft flange, but it uses the road-tested Dana 131

Comment

Thanks for the info, that looks like a pretty solid piece of kit. Originally I was just going to get a custom DS made from the SR and BMW halves, but this could be better quality/price.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
                          '90 318is

Comment

It was around $380usd for the ds from http://shaftmasters.com/ David from there was very helpful with the process. Shipping would probably kill you though :( the ds is around 56 inches end to end.

Comment

Work on the engine has finally begun. Head is getting a port and polish, as well as a few bits widened as part of the VE conversion from fwd na to rwd turbo.

Progress pics:

Name:	IMG_20160502_135256.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	10071612

Name:	IMG_20160611_141641.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	10071613

Next week the block is off to the machine shop to get the sleeves installed and just a general clean up.
                              Last edited by AusScare; 10-15-2022, 04:51 PM.
                              '90 318is

Comment

What's the point in having an e30 if you don't drive it right? While collecting parts I've managed to drive the e30 almost every week, including some more windy/hilly roads like today.

The clutch has been on its way out since I bought it, so I just have to downshift early up hills and not strain the motor in the low revs, otherwise the clutch rattles and it's not a great noise to hear when you're in the middle of nowhere!

Off the highway heading to the mountain:

Top of the mountain:

Parked for lunch:

Bit of food to keep me going:

Finally going to order a crank this week I think, so will post up when that arrives.
                                '90 318is

Comment

Working...
                                X