No announcement yet.

Aussie 318is - now S54B32 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today the old diff was pulled out and wrapped up. I'll spend some time cleaning it before selling it. The new diff went in, minor issue with the speed sensor plugs not matching, but ended up using the old sensor, which is working great.

New diff installed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141015_170034.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	10065789
    Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:49 AM.
    '90 318is

Comment

I had some time tonight so decided to try and work out why the dash lights would only work intermittently. Often it would be after I had been playing with the fuses, then moving stuff around the ecu, so thought some sort of connection was loose, but couldn't see which.

I pulled the lower cover off, and followed a quick guide to remove the headlight switch and panel. I found that the big connector plug was barely plugged into the headlight switch!!!

While I was messing with the car I thought I would take a look underneath and see if anything looked dodgy. On the passenger side sway bar I noticed some fresh rubbing marks, and the drop link bushing looked to be on a wack angle - thinking it might need an alignment of sorts? Hopefully that will sort the rubbing (on full look I can hear it when parking at home):

Name:	IMG_20141021_204126.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	10065790

And now I can see why the PO had cleaned the gearbox before I inspected it, looks to be leaking slightly, but not enough to drip onto the ground where I park the car. Good thing I won't be using the gearbox anyway after swapping motors:

Name:	IMG_20141021_204205.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	10065791

Next on the list is to fit the rear brake rotors I have sitting here.
      Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:51 AM.
      '90 318is

Comment

Originally posted by AusScare View Post

Had a bit of a read and decided the 4.1 ratio was good to stick to - meant not having to mess with the speedo, and it would suit the sr swap.
        Changing final drive ratio doesn't affect what the speedometer shows on an E30.
        What gear box are you going to use, what kind of ratios does it have? What's the redline on that Nissan engine? Those things pretty much decide what final ratio one needs.

-Jarno

Comment

Good point, I guess I'll grab out the speedo app when its all together and find out!
          '90 318is

Comment

Originally posted by AusScare View Post
            Good point, I guess I'll grab out the speedo app when its all together and find out!
            Find out what? Essentially, the diff speed sensor reads the rear wheels' combined rotational speed. Only way that the speedo could go off is to change the rear tyres' outer diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
              Find out what? Essentially, the diff speed sensor reads the rear wheels' combined rotational speed. Only way that the speedo could go off is to change the rear tyres' outer diameter.
              Sorry I was confused by your previous post, I know the diff ratio and diff sensor set the speedo. Your mention of final drive put me off....
              '90 318is

Comment

What wreckers did you get the lsd from?

Also, send me a PM once the m42 is out, been looking for an upgrade to the m40 and I'm also in Brisbane

Comment

Originally posted by J3M93 View Post
                  What wreckers did you get the lsd from?

Also, send me a PM once the m42 is out, been looking for an upgrade to the m40 and I'm also in Brisbane
                  BMWreckers at Acacia Ridge, not the cheapest, but was exactly what I needed and had a 3 month warranty..
                  '90 318is

Comment

RHDJapan.com were having a big sale on clutches, so I picked an OS Giken STR2CD twin plate clutch kit for about the same as price as the locally made alternatives.

This is rated at 600hp, and claims to be close to stock feel (which I doubt but happy to be proven wrong!!).

Took two days to get here from Japan:

Name:	IMG_20141031_095047.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	10065792
                    Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:52 AM.
                    '90 318is

Comment

Originally posted by AusScare
                      This one bolt was sooo tough to get. Started by soaking it in WD40 for an hour, then gave it a few wacks with a hammer before having another go with the spanner (with mallet attached). Turns out they were covered in thread locker:

I was just here! I wasted an extra hour at least on those stupid bolts!
                      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                      Originally posted by roguetoaster
                      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by AusScare
                        Painted with black bumper paint, then put back in place:

I need that vent with the wiper arm hole covered... I wonder what the part # on that one is since its obviously a factory RHD part. any chance you could see what it is?
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                          i need that vent with the wiper arm hole covered... I wonder what the part # on that one is since its obviously a factory rhd part. Any chance you could see what it is?
                          51 13 1 904 573

Comment

I just found it too!! thank you!! :) Now I just have to see if BMW USA can get me one :rofl:
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Met up with some friends to work on the cars, plan was to change the fuel filter and some other bits, turns out my fuel filter isn't the stubby one under the left rear side, it's actually in the engine bay, so I'll be ordering a different filter now.

I had cracked the battery cover when the new diff went flying around in the boot, so attempted a quick fix. Bit of plastic glue to piece it back together:

Name:	IMG_20141027_145708.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	10065793

Name:	IMG_20141027_215227.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	10065794

Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:54 AM.
                              '90 318is

Comment

Great to see another Brissy 318is. I remember seeing this car for sale on Gumtree while I was looking for an e30, stoked to see that it's gone to a good home.

Have you fixed up the aircon yet? I would love to ask you some questions about it when you do, I am looking at doing the R-134a conversion to mine sometime soon. I have found this thread on e30 tech to be really informative, might help you out too...http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113435

Cheers mate.

Comment

Working...
                                X