Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AusScare View Post
    Yep will be a handful :)

My Plazmaman order arrived, billet aluminium 72mm throttle body, intake manifold and fuel rail.

Welds on point:

WOW! This is a work of art. I would hang that on my wall.

Comment

My ECS order arrived, replacing a few old, worn and degraded parts inside and out. My driver's seatbelt receptacle had actually stopped springing back, forcing me to wedge it back up with each use, so this is a welcome replacement.

New vs old washer jets:

Old vs new elephant trunk seal for the engine bay:

New vs old inside door handle surrounds. New ones snapped nicely into place, compared to the old ones which sort of just sagged there:

Original battery cover was victim to a diff rolling around in the boot, and although it came up ok with some glue and a respray, the new piece sits in place much more nicely:

No more scratched and worn M cover on the steering wheel:

Bonnet bump stops:

Lock surrounds:

The rear sway bar links will go in at the same time as the new rear sway bar poly bushes - which will be when I buy some BC Racing Coilovers for the car.

I also bought a small storage bin from ECS, but tuns out it's actually for an e36, so useless to me!

All photos taken on my Pixel 2 XL - can't get over how good the camera is.
      '90 318is

Comment

Overnight parts from Japan.

Brand new 300ZX gearbox from Nissan. This, matched with the Alpha Omega conversion kit and OS Giken twin plate clutch should manage the power and hopefully not break!

'90 318is

Comment

Oh wow, how much is that worth? 5k?
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
            Oh wow, how much is that worth? 5k?
            The gearbox itself was ~AU$2,800 including shipping.

The conversion kit was AU$1,500 locally.

Clutch was AU$1,500 from Japan.

So yeah around AU$6k when you add the shifter, clutch slave cylinder, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
            '90 318is

Comment

A few maintenance parts came in just before Christmas. Not the most exciting order, but important to keep the car in good shape.

First was the sunroof seal. Off comes the sunroof:

Old seal removed, area cleaned, some minor rust removal, treatment and painting on the underside:

Then back on the car:

Headlight trim rings came off:

Coat of paint to even them out. These really need a proper machine sanding as there are many layers of chipped old paint on them. I just did a quick job to keep the colour even:

Old hood insulation looking pretty sad. I got tired of it dropping all over the engine bay:

Part way through removal:

And new insulation in place:

New caps for the wipers:

And difficult to see, but I replaced both window seals in the doors. This was a glass out job and I definitely needed my partner's help to do it (managed to scratch the tint on the drivers window trying to do it myself):

Also for those wanting to do an SR20 conversion, Audi R8 coil packs are a nice option, and much cheaper than other aftermarket coil packs.

Audi R8 Ignition Coil Packs (x5) - 06E905115G - Audi RS3 CZGB upgrade - GENUINE. These can be used as pre-facelift 2.5 TFSI upgrade for RS3, RSQ3 and TTRS with the CXXX engine designations. Genuine only, QR stamped, Eldor R8 Ignition coils. This coil pack is the same as used on the Audi R8 V8 and V10. These coilpacks can also be used as an upgrade for FSI or TFSI engines
              '90 318is

Comment

A friend of mine does conversion harnesses for them too, syltech on ebay I think he is
                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Have been a reasonably regular attendee at the local cars n coffee. Friend has the old Range Rover, so always good for a chat:

I picked up some new (to me) wheels, the familiar TRM C1 in 15x8 +20:

New tyres are Hankook RS4 in 225/45R15:

Those Audi R8 coilpacks from a few weeks back:

Recent Taarks order came through with a range of SR20 parts to hopefully finalise the SR build. This included an oil filter relocation kit. The filter kit required some flow improvements inside, as it contained big 'steps' down where it had been machined.

Smoothed out:

Enlarged:

Stained:

'90 318is

Comment

Great progress!

BTW - with our crappy exchange rate against the USD, I found Schmiedmann to be less $$$ for certain PE parts.
                    E30 320i vert
                    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
                      Great progress!

BTW - with our crappy exchange rate against the USD, I found Schmiedmann to be less $$$ for certain PE parts.
                      Thanks. Yep, most of my orders are from Schmiedmann. I'm looking to get new brake calipers (stock size) next, so am doing some comparisons on pricing between them, ECS and Pelican.
                      '90 318is

Comment

nioce! cool to see this keep going. an SR20 e30 is probably a perfect combination.

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates - the e30 has been my faithful weekender over the last few years, but also life has taken over - since 2019 I've gotten married, had a honeymoon, bought a house, had a baby. The last few months I've started researching more upgrades.

Took it to a few cars and coffee events:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220318_211232640.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	10065220

Name:	PXL_20220318_211611391.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	10065221

Name:	PXL_20210305_201254587.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	10065222

Drove to Bunnings (hardware store) a few times:

Name:	PXL_20210214_050822479.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	10065223

Cruised around with the dog:

Name:	15246.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	10065224
                          Last edited by AusScare; 08-16-2022, 04:37 AM.
                          '90 318is

Comment

Replaced the tail shaft centre bearing, because it was wasted:

Name:	15401.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	10071614

Had the tacho upgraded to reach 9000rpm in preparation for the 8400 rpm redline of the new motor:

Name:	14977.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	10071615

Bought a new turbo, Pulsar turbo, a knockoff of a G30-770. A friend runs these on his 800hp twin turbo LS1 with success:

Name:	13420.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	10071616
                            Last edited by AusScare; 10-15-2022, 04:59 PM.
                            '90 318is

Comment

Anyway, off to GreshM Performance today to fix a major coolant leak from the water pump and a few upgrades..

Name:	IMG_5256.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	10065227

- New clutch, tailshaft rubber coupling, water pump, 80'c thermostat, power steering reservoir and low pressure line, misc engine lines that have degraded
                              - Hillside Motorsport reinforced front & rear subframes, reinforced rear trailing arms
                              - Racing Diffs (Serbian company) billet dual mount, finned, diff cover for my 4.1 ratio medium case lsd

Name:	IMG_5096.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	10065228

This will get the car reliable again engine wise, while I wait for my sr20 to be built, so that I can keep driving it around. The diff/subframe upgrades will be useful when the car makes more power. The original front subframe is currently cracking around the engine mounts anyway.

I also picked up a set of BBS RS 071 wheels in 15x8 +18 (front) and 15x8.5 +12 (rear) off FB marketplace. I had alerts running for 2 years before these turned up. These BBS wheels are built in the 80s for e30 race cars, so are the perfect spec.

Name:	IMG_4980.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	10065229

I dropped these off last week at Dr Wheels in Yatala (Brisbane, Australia) to be rebuilt:
                              - Barrels painted black
                              - Centres & waffle plate painted nogaro silver
                              - Polish hex caps & lips
                              - Supply new valve stems and bolts
                              - Reassemble

I'll then need a set of coilovers so that the car doesn't look like a 4x4 with these wheels. Leaning towards KW V3's.
                              '90 318is

Comment

Very nice progress and plans!
                                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X