Aussie 318is - now S54B32 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aussie 318is - now S54B32 swap

Hi all, I've spent the last few months trawling through forums and car selling sites looking for an e30 in my area that was in reasonable condition, at a reasonable price.

Today I brought home this 1990 318is, in white, coupe, with a sunroof and power steering. The paint is in great condition, there is almost no rust (tiny bit under battery and around sunroof joints), new brakes, bilstein shocks, h&r springs, 15x7 wheels I think, as well as a Turner Motorsport coilpack conversion and tune of some sort (not sure on details of that).

Just the one pic from today:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20140920_111109.jpg Views:	61 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	10065782

Immediate plans:
    • Fix anything obvious that needs fixing, eg not all dash lights work, aircon
    • Make sure the trim is up to standard - so new steering wheel is in order
    • Buy remaining parts for the sr20
    • Insert sr20
    • ??
    • Profit
    Thanks for reading, please feel free to jump in with anything along the way, all opinions welcome.

Cheers,
    Tim

Parts & upgrades update 26 May 2023:

Engine and drivetrain
    • M42 removed
    • Medium case 4.1 LSD with RacingDiffs billet dual mount diff cover
    • CATuned axles
    • Hillside motorsport reinforced front subframe
    • Hillside motorsport reinforced rear subframe
    • Hillside motorsport reinforced rear trailing arms
    • SuperPro poly rear subframe bushings
    • E46 purple tag steering rack with LPSR linkage
    Suspension
    • KW V3 Coilovers
    • Ireland Engineering top camber plates
    • SuperPro offset control arm bushings
    • Whiteline 24mm front sway bar
    • SuperPro rear 19mm sway bar bushing
    • Ultra Racing front and rear strut braces
    Brakes
    • DBA 4000 discs
    • Brembo ceramic pads
    • Stainless steel lines
    • Bosch iBooster brake mc/booster
    Wheels & Tyres
    • TRM C1 15x8 +20
      • Hankook RS-4 225/45r15
    • BBS RS 071 15x8 +18 (front) 15x8.5 +12 (rear)
      • Nankang CR-S 205/50r15 (front) 225/45r15 (rear)
    Interior
    • Recaro SR3 on Massive seat rails
    • 35% tint
    • Continental head unit
    • Cluster altered to 9000rpm redline
    S54B32 build specs
    • 118,000kms on the motor
    • Karbonius airbox
    • Vanos rebuilt
    • New water pump, thermostat, seals
    • Custom front subframe
    Last edited by AusScare; 01-14-2024, 04:01 PM.
    '90 318is

Looks great - pity you're dropping an agricultural SR20 into it instead of a 1Jz or 2JZ - I'm pretty certain it's un-Australian not to use a JZ :D

BTW - when you do the swap pls sell me your M42 and drivetrain :)

(Alternatively sell me your is when you decide the swap is too much hassle :D ).
    '90 BMW E30 318is
    '99 Honda DC2R

Comment

Originally posted by Pete_E30 View Post
      Looks great - pity you're dropping an agricultural SR20 into it instead of a 1Jz or 2JZ - I'm pretty certain it's un-Australian not to use a JZ :D

BTW - when you do the swap pls sell me your M42 and drivetrain :)

(Alternatively sell me your is when you decide the swap is too much hassle :D ).
      Yeah a 2J would have been ideal, but the sr parts were more accessible, and less custom stuff required to make it fit.

Are you based in Brisbane? The M42 will definitely be up for sale as soon as it's out of the car!

Today's exercise:
      • Replace rear parker bulb
      • Fiddle with fuses - instrument cluster lights now work!
      • Clean interior - found a few bits that'll need replacing

A few new pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140928_123942.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	10065783

Name:	IMG_20141004_113516.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	10065784
      Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:43 AM.
      '90 318is

Comment

eBay e30 to sr20 conversion mounts arrived today! Hopefully they fit ok.

Name:	IMG_20140922_204902.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	10065785

Also the instrument lights didn't work again tonight, so something is loose back there. Will rip it apart on the weekend. Reading online it could be due to the aftermarket head unit sharing grounding wires??
        Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:44 AM.
        '90 318is

Comment

This is a cool swap.

Car looks so clean. How many miles on the M42 and car?

Any reason you decided against boosting the M42?

Comment

Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post
            This is a cool swap.

Car looks so clean. How many miles on the M42 and car?

Any reason you decided against boosting the M42?
            Thanks. The body is in great condition, though the clutch needs replacing, diff is leaking, dash is cracked, front seat broken, etc so a few things need attention. The M42 has 230,000kms and seems to be in good condition. It'll be a good buy for someone.

I chose the SR20 purely because of parts availability. I'm buying them off my partner's dad, so no shipping and customs duties to pay, plus he's going to be making my intake and exhaust manifolds. He builds engines for a living and isn't charging me to build this one, since I'm buying $10k+ worth of parts off him.

So it's a chance for him to get rid of all these parts he's got, at the price he wants, while I get a professionally built engine.

If I were to turbo the M42, I'd have to pay a fair bit in labour to prep the engine and have manifolds fabricated and things like that.
            '90 318is

Comment

I was going to post hateful comments about the piece of junk that is an SR20 but you're using a VVL head, so carry on. Should be a cool swap.

Comment

I can aprrciate this swap. how heavy is the sr20 compared to m42, m20 ect?
                = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Originally posted by totheredline View Post
                  I can aprrciate this swap. how heavy is the sr20 compared to m42, m20 ect?
                  Heavier than an M42, lighter than an M20.

SR20DE is 140KG, then add the weight of a turbo set up.

Comment

I'm not 100% on weight, but a quick google says around 340lbs for an sr20 and 320lbs for an m42. So pretty similar.
                    '90 318is

Comment

Spent the day troubleshooting a few things on the e30 today.

Managed to get the interior lights flicking on with the opening of a door, and tightened up the handbrake so that it didn't click on while driving!

I pulled the ECU cover down to see if there was anything obvious that might be loose and causing the instrument cluster lights to not fire, but the mass bundle of wires was a bit much :/

Pulled the rear wheels off to change the brake rotors, but turns out I need a 7mm Allen key and I had everything but that.
                      Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:45 AM.
                      '90 318is

Comment

What better way to spend a Sunday than cleaning up 24 years of grime (hardly). The paint was already in pretty good condition, but I still took the time to prep the paint, then give it a polish and wax, as well as raid the cupboard for headlight restorer and bumper black stuff.

It took at least 2.5 hours to clean up the paint with the clay bar, there was so much tar all over the lower half of the car, and a weird yellow something as well on half the panels. Then I just followed that up with a hand polish and wax.

Took a few different grades of sand paper to the exhaust, as well as metal polish, but it's still looking pretty average, so will have to go over it again. The sunroof seal was covered in mould which is weird, so I scraped as much of that off as possible.

Started just over 1pm and was driving home around 6pm lol (gf wasn't happy - giving me the silent treatment) but it's looking good.
                        Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:46 AM.
                        '90 318is

Comment

So I bought the e30 with a leaking 168mm 4.1 small case open diff.

Had a bit of a read and decided the 4.1 ratio was good to stick to - meant not having to mess with the speedo, and it would suit the sr swap.

Bought a 188mm 4.1 medium case LSD today from the wreckers, was delivered to my house by the time I got home from work.

Should be able to handle everything I throw at it:

Name:	IMG_20141007_175448.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	10065786

Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:47 AM.
                          '90 318is

Comment

Nice! Will watch the progress!
                            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                            Originally posted by roguetoaster
                            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

A few more bits and pieces came in the mail. First is a Nismo trans mount for the sr gearbox.

Also a Walbro in-tank GSS340 fuel pump and fitting kit for a '97 Mustang (found a how-to using this kit - almost direct swap just with a bit of soldering). This pump is rated at 500hp - hoping it works ok!

The new diff is going in Wednesday, then I'll have a go at the fuel pump when the fuel level is low. Pretty keen to get as much done and still drive the car before I pull it off the road and take it apart!

Nismo trans mount:

Name:	IMG_20141013_173247.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	10065787

Walbro fuel pump:

Name:	IMG_20141013_173007.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	10065788
                              Last edited by AusScare; 08-22-2022, 04:48 AM.
                              '90 318is

Comment

Working...
                              X