Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmallDave View Post
    Where did you find your rack? Did you follow a particular diy thread?
    Deleting the Guido makes stiffer and more direct right?
    Check out this thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=66247

I've had a z3 rack in for almost 4 years now and I love it! A urethane coupler would also improve feel quite a bit. I think there are a few companies that sell them including Ireland Engineering for fairly cheap.

Anyways continue on with this awesome thread. I really like how the engine came together. I am regretting not putting in the oil pan baffle when I had the chance.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
    Instagram:
    https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
    LS Build Thread:
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Originally posted by ian e30 318is View Post
      Check out this thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=66247

I've had a z3 rack in for almost 4 years now and I love it! A urethane coupler would also improve feel quite a bit. I think there are a few companies that sell them including Ireland Engineering for fairly cheap.

Anyways continue on with this awesome thread. I really like how the engine came together. I am regretting not putting in the oil pan baffle when I had the chance.
      Yea, the rack is/was a great upgrade. Thanks for the kind words. Honestly, I don't know if the baffle is really worth it for the swapped motors. The baffle I got from VAC wasn't such a "huge" improvement over the original baffle. Plus, I think the necessity is more for the e36s with the sump in the rear that sloshes oil forward under hard braking, which is not an issue with the front sump on the e30 s52. That said, side to side sloshing could be problematic but it looked like the oem baffle would combat that fairly well.
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

The motor came out!!

Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
          Yea, the rack is/was a great upgrade. Thanks for the kind words. Honestly, I don't know if the baffle is really worth it for the swapped motors. The baffle I got from VAC wasn't such a "huge" improvement over the original baffle. Plus, I think the necessity is more for the e36s with the sump in the rear that sloshes oil forward under hard braking, which is not an issue with the front sump on the e30 s52. That said, side to side sloshing could be problematic but it looked like the oem baffle would combat that fairly well.
          Hmmm thats good to know. I have the e34 pan so not 100% sure if the baffle stayed or not since I did the swap a while back. I was worried about lateral acceleration and having the oil light come on during Auto-X but I never saw that happen. I think people say that sometimes during long sweeping turns under hard cornering the oil light flickers.

By the way, are you planning to BAR the engine?

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
          Instagram:
          https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
          LS Build Thread:
          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Originally posted by ian e30 318is View Post
            Hmmm thats good to know. I have the e34 pan so not 100% sure if the baffle stayed or not since I did the swap a while back. I was worried about lateral acceleration and having the oil light come on during Auto-X but I never saw that happen. I think people say that sometimes during long sweeping turns under hard cornering the oil light flickers.

By the way, are you planning to BAR the engine?
            The e34 pan should have a baffle and a windage tray. The baffle in the reservoir section, and the windage tray underneath the crank. I removed the e34 windage tray and re-used the e36 windage tray (better design). You probably didn't remove the baffle because that requires drilling out a rivet. The windage tray bolts on.

I took the car to two autoxs this past weekend (the car's first two events in the current setup), and the oil light did not flash at all. I also wired up a secondary oil light with the VDO oil pressure sender for a 7psi warning with an extremely bright red LED that is impossible to miss.

That said, the motor developed a tick after several back to back runs which disappeared after idling for a couple of minutes. Not sure if that's low pressure related, temp related or something else.

No I do not plan to BAR it. Too much hassle.
            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
              That said, the motor developed a tick after several back to back runs which disappeared after idling for a couple of minutes. Not sure if that's low pressure related, temp related or something else.
              That happens pretty frequently on the 24v motors, especially after a hard track session or autocross runs. Not sure why the lifters like to get noisy after they've been driven hard, but I wouldn't worry about it. Plenty of cars do it without resulting in any catastrophe.
              -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                That happens pretty frequently on the 24v motors, especially after a hard track session or autocross runs. Not sure why the lifters like to get noisy after they've been driven hard, but I wouldn't worry about it. Plenty of cars do it without resulting in any catastrophe.
                Yea I know its "normal", but it still annoys me. I mean, it's got to have something to do with the oil getting hot or something right? If the lifters are noisy it means they aren't keeping as tight a gap between the valve and cam lobe as they should... so what causes that to happen after hard driving?
                Shadetree30

Comment

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 rebuild + goodies swap - DD / autox Journey

Easy way to get rid of the ticking on 24v motors is to overfill the oil by about a quart. Most autoX guys do it

The lifters tick because the top end isn't getting enough oil or its hot and drains too fast. Same reason why most 24v motors have scored cam shaft journals. It won't ruin your motor but it's not good for it either.

I overfill mine by about half a qt for street driving. I also have an oil cooler. Lifters never tick

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                    Easy way to get rid of the ticking on 24v motors is to overfill the oil by about a quart. Most autoX guys do it

The lifters tick because the top end isn't getting enough oil or its hot and drains too fast. Same reason why most 24v motors have scored cam shaft journals. It won't ruin your motor but it's not good for it either.

I overfill mine by about half a qt for street driving. I also have an oil cooler. Lifters never tick
                    Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I just haven't gotten a chance to turn my attention to researching an appropriate oil cooler setup yet. Dammit. One more thing to add to the list....

I did actually add an extra quart for the autox for a total of 7... still ticked
                    Shadetree30

Comment

Don't feel bad about snapping that thin bolt...same thing happened to me. Didn't feel any resistance, kept turning and turning, then snap! I think anyone that has replaced a headgasket on one of these motors has snapped that very bolt at least once
                      1997 Artic Silver M3
                      CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
                        Don't feel bad about snapping that thin bolt...same thing happened to me. Didn't feel any resistance, kept turning and turning, then snap! I think anyone that has replaced a headgasket on one of these motors has snapped that very bolt at least once
                        Yup. Just weird that I never saw or heard of it mentioned to replace them in any DIYs or motor builds etc. It was a frustrating annoyance considering I could have ordered them along with everything else... oh well. Now I know.
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Dam dude, you move fuckin fast. The build is coming along nicely
                          Originally posted by dvck
                          I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by itskingsteelo View Post
                            Dam dude, you move fuckin fast. The build is coming along nicely
                            LOL thanks! its actually been running for 5 weeks and driving for a month. I was lazy with the pictures and updates. Playing catch up now. Though I have like 100 more pictures and updates than the latest update to the thread....
                            Shadetree30

Comment

thats awesome. did you have some kind of time frame goal you were working with? the garage/build area is fuckin sick!!! very organized man.
                              Originally posted by dvck
                              I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by itskingsteelo View Post
                                thats awesome. did you have some kind of time frame goal you were working with? the garage/build area is fuckin sick!!! very organized man.
                                Kind of. I assembled the motor while I was still driving the e30 with m20. But once I pulled the m20, I had to daily the e36 which is not something I ever want to do again. So I was trying to get it driving asap so I could stop DDing the e36 which gets poor gas mileage, costs like $7/gal to fill it, I don't like getting it dirty, it's leaking oil everywhere, my 100 mile round trip commute is a lot of miles to put on it, the highways are like warzones etc.

Thanks!! I literally can not work on anything until the place is clean and organized. Currently it's a little too cluttered for my normal tolerance, but I can live with it.
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X