Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
    You're going to be on a ride with a bunch of modified cars. Are you bar'd? I mean if you're really worried I have a hood you can borrow for the day... Seriously I do.
    No im not. I mean, its not a big deal. I can slap the hood on, I just don't want to. Im tired and I want to sleep [emoji14]
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

So Friday night I decided that I wasn't going to sleep until the car was half presentable for the Socal vintage drive and IE open house. As a result, I got quite a bit done.

Sprayed the bottoms of the fenders with 3m undercoating. It looks like a perfect match for the oem texture. I'll be buying more of this!

Brake fluid turned dark amber

Here's where the new radiator got messed up :hitler: rubbed against the face of the PS pulley. I have the worst luck with radiators. I stuck the koyo back in for the weekend and it does seem to do a better job managing the coolant temp.

Painted the lower portion of the core support where I welded the reinforcement.

Rolling into the mountains. Couldn't have been a more perfect day to drive.

Parked at the first rest stop along Angeles Crest. 2man is parked next to me.

Stopped at the second rest spot. iwantspeed and 2man parked to the right of me. Those 02s to my left were FAST!!

Third rest spot.

This 02 was damn fast too! Apparently this was his "shakedown" drive after a big engine overhaul project and suspension rebuild/upgrade. So cool to see people driving the shit out of these things!

At Ireland Engineering there were some cool cars on display, but nothing more cool than this guy right here... in the hidden shop :p

Here are some pictures of the color match. It's not 100%, but very close and kinda hard to tell unless you're looking right at it. The contour of the body here also hides it well. To be honest, I like this shade better than the original. The metallic flake is also much deeper which looks fantastic. If/when I paint the rest of the car I'll be having more of this mixed up.

Pardon the very dirty rear half of the car. I didn't have time before the drive. There will be a deep cleaning and detailing session coming up.

Here is a closeup of the metallic flake. I really like it!

Lastly, I did get a little work done on Sunday. Resprayed the hood with primer and it looks much much better. Planning to sand it and base/clear it tonight so I can take all that annoying plastic out of the garage!
      Shadetree30

Comment

Awesome. I am very glad to see the car in a much better presentable condition. I really think your car could pull of a carbon fiber hood.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
          Awesome. I am very glad to see the car in a much better presentable condition. I really think your car could pull of a carbon fiber hood.
          Thanks man! As am I. It is so refreshing and relieving to see the front end/car looking so good. This is the best it's ever looked since my ownership!

Idk, I'm not really a fan of exposed carbon on these cars, but I'd consider a tastefully vented version with the hood painted, and the vents exposed carbon.

Here's the hood painted! :D

Shadetree30

Comment

how'd you learn to paint?
            1990 325is
            m52b28
            3.73lsd
            g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
              how'd you learn to paint?
              I didn't really. Just jumped in headfirst. This was my first foray into painting body panels aside from the engine bay. One of my good friends used to work at a body shop years ago and gave me a hand with it and some tips/tricks. He also sprayed the color and clear on everything except the hood. I have found that it's really not much about technique when it comes time to spray as much as it is the prep work, the quality of the materials and quality of the tools.
              Shadetree30

Comment

thanks man!
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

car's looking damn good!
                  89 325i 4dr s52
                  02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                  21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

How were the brake pads?

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
                      car's looking damn good!
                      Thanks! I've got until Friday to get it all "officially" back together and detailed for socal vintage Saturday morning, so it should be looking even better quite soon!!
                      Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                      How were the brake pads?
                      Haven't installed them yet :P got too busy with other stuff and went on a 1700 mile roadtrip over an extended weekend. Hoping to install and test them out by wednesday/thursday

You still liking them?
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                        You still liking them?
                        Loving them!!

Comment

Gilles hooked me up with his pics. He got some nice ones

Serious conversation about Bronzit
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            Gilles hooked me up with his pics. He got some nice ones

Serious conversation about Bronzit
                            Thanks for posting them up! I was just wondering about that earlier.

It was a very serious conversation indeed. Serious conversation for serious people serious about their serious cars. Seriously. :devil:
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Dammit. Never ends. Brake pads are too thick... they sent me 16mm instead of 12mm

and I have some vibration in the rotating assembly again.... not as bad as before but it's definitely flywheel/PP. With the car stopped and trans in neutral there's vibration while revving it. Doesn't get too bad until after 4k rpm.
                              Shadetree30

Comment

your paint work looks good. Spraying high metallics is a little hard. This is where experience plays a huge part. You will have to play around with settings to get the flakes to do what you want. In my experience, if you wind the needle top wide open and spray it wet, the flakes will suspend and then lie down as the solvent flashes off. IF you want the flakes to stand, spray it light and dry.

Comment

Working...
                                X