Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
    only thing 944s are useful for is engine swaps
    Shut your whore mouth! (1/2 kidding pandaboo911)

I'm seeing movement on this build - and I like it. Keep going OP! Woot!
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Thanks GG. It pays to be one of your bitches…

Alright then, Today I rebuilt both balance shaft housings(?). That lower one kinda sucks. Especially since I forgot to put this little aluminum disc with the o-ring back in the first time. That may have made for a bit of an oil leak. After that, I reinstalled the water-to-oil cooler. Then it was time for the water pump. The guy who sold the car to me gave me a water pump to go with it so I removed the thermostat (housed within the pump outlet) and tested it in boiling water and it's fine. The only thing was that it didn't have any kind of seal around the thermostat. I found that odd so I looked up the diagram and, sure enough, it's supposed to have a nice little o-ring around it. I didn't have it so I made a nice little gasket for it and put her in the new pump. Snug as a bug now.

Rant:
      Now I know, I'm a bit of a redneck kinda riggy guy, but this car, was at some point owned by the biggest redneck rigging bastard (not the guy I bought it from, he just stored it for a year). There was rtv all over the place in this motor. A heli-coil in the block on one of auxiliary head bolts (not a main head bolt). But he drilled it all the way through into the water jacket, so it has to have rtv in it when I reassemble. No seal on the thermostat and the balance shaft pulley cranked on crooked. Ah, whatever. I'm fixing it all for him… jerk…
      Originally posted by Andy.B
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Alright. I got my head back from the machinist! It only took 3 weeks, but you know what they say; "Good, fast, or cheap. Pick two.". I picked good and cheap. I reckon I'll start some reassembly Monday. There are gonna be some real nice before/after shots of this motor.
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Teaser:

~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I was out driving the Scout today and passed an old man in a black 944....

...Towing a 6' X 8' garden trailer.

So awesome, gave him a huge thumbs up and immediately thought you Ether.
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
              I was out driving the Scout today and passed an old man in a black 944....

...Towing a 6' X 8' garden trailer.

So awesome, gave him a huge thumbs up and immediately thought you Ether.
              haha! I hope to be towing mowers and mulch with mine before too long.
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Speaking of towing..
                I built a trailer from one of those Harbor Freight tiny trailers. I did a leaf spring delete , then I put shocks on it. It should be a nice ride for the cargo. I get to drive the vert from here in middle TN to Orlando and go with my ex-wife and my kids to Disneyworld. Then just me and the kids will zip on up the coast to Seaside, FL for a week. I reckon I'll have plenty of cargo capacity. Anyone in the TN - GA - South FL - Seaside, FL - I-65 corridor got any cool shit for sale? Cause I'll be able to haul it back…

Check it out:

~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Dude, I thought I'd at least get some props for the coil-overs on the trailer…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Haha that is neat. How come you swapped them?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I have driven around for years with a trailer with leaf springs and it just rode like shit, bouncing all over the place, beating the crap outta my tools. So I thought "what would an e30 feel like with leaf springs and no shocks?". My answer was "shitty.". So I added some dampening and more compliant springs. So far it rides 20 times better and it's even empty for now. With a little weight in there it'll ride like a caddy. I hope.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Aight then. I got the cam tower, intake manifold, timing belt, and balance shaft belt installed on it. Feels good to get out there and do something. I need to do a fuel system flush, fill it with some oil and toss a filter on there, and I might just crank it soon.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I did the hard part: I put oil in it and spun a filter on.

Now I'm in the process of rigging up an old e30 fuel pump so I can get fuel pressure (very desirable if I want it to start). It's classic redneck fabrication. I'll get a pic. It's just a temporary solution so I can see if this thing shows promise before I throw more money at it. I'll try to remember to take an actual "first start attempt" video this time. Hopefully it'll start.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                            I did the hard part: I put oil in it and spun a filter on.

Now I'm in the process of rigging up an old e30 fuel pump so I can get fuel pressure (very desirable if I want it to start). It's classic redneck fabrication. I'll get a pic. It's just a temporary solution so I can see if this thing shows promise before I throw more money at it. I'll try to remember to take an actual "first start attempt" video this time. Hopefully it'll start.

With a name like Ether-D, i'm surprised you are going through the trouble to rig a fuel pump just to hear her run.
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Liking the progress, and digging the coil conversion. Did you come up with that or see it done somewhere else? Any more info on the conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                                With a name like Ether-D, i'm surprised you are going through the trouble to rig a fuel pump just to hear her run.
                                Well ain't you clever… The "ether-d" is a play on "e30". Nobody gets it.

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                                Liking the progress, and digging the coil conversion. Did you come up with that or see it done somewhere else? Any more info on the conversion?
                                I came up with the coil conversion. But full disclosure, the shocks I purchased were not quite heavy-duty enough, and one disassembled itself in Birmingham, AL at about mile #1500 of a 1700 mile road trip. I wired everything back together with some tie-wire and made it home, but Ima need to spend a little more on the shocks.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X