1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
    I was but my stock fan was busted up a little, so I am going to use a spal fan as an aux with the E46 PWM.
    I’ll ask now but if you prefer a DM just say the word.

I’m confused on the wiring for the PWM module. The E30 stock fan has a capacitor(if I’m not mistaken) vs spal fans do not. If I wanted to use the E30 fan would I just remove the capacitor and wire it like a spal?

If you could explain each wire from the E46 PWM module and how it relates to the E30 fan/chassis side of things that would be great. I can’t find a E46M wiring diagram...

Thanks for the input! If anything I can just go spal as well. Hell, I don’t even know if the stock E30 fan even worked...

Comment

Originally posted by masterofnone View Post
      I’ll ask now but if you prefer a DM just say the word.

I’m confused on the wiring for the PWM module. The E30 stock fan has a capacitor(if I’m not mistaken) vs spal fans do not. If I wanted to use the E30 fan would I just remove the capacitor and wire it like a spal?

If you could explain each wire from the E46 PWM module and how it relates to the E30 fan/chassis side of things that would be great. I can’t find a E46M wiring diagram...

Thanks for the input! If anything I can just go spal as well. Hell, I don’t even know if the stock E30 fan even worked...
      I was following Gpeterson's wiring,

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

That's the same method I plan to use however there is no clear explanation on the wiring. Going to reread that thread now.

Also I think the E36 fan he used doesn't have an external capacitor like the E30 but maybe the cap is part of the E46 PWM module. I really have no clue if this matters though considering I don't think spals have capacitors either.

Comment

That's the same method I plan to use however there is no clear explanation on the wiring. Going to reread that thread now.

Also I think the E36 fan he used doesn't have an external capacitor like the E30 but maybe the cap is part of the E46 PWM module. I really have no clue if this matters though considering I don't think spals have capacitors either.
          I have someone helping me with the wiring on it, we havent looked at it yet because we were behind this week.

Its possible I dont need one, once I dive in I will update.

Comment

Very cool, I think you and I are on the same pace almost aha

Im shooting for March given time for the exhaust fab and work travel.

Ill check in with you later or let you know if I find anything useful.

Comment

Very cool, I think you and I are on the same pace almost aha

Im shooting for March given time for the exhaust fab and work travel.

Ill check in with you later or let you know if I find anything useful.
              A few delays, but should hopefully start over Tday weekend!

Comment

Awesome! Just have to get the valve cover, oil pan, and accessories on the engine then it’s ready to go in and get plumbed/wired.

I may have missed it, what exhaust manifold are you running? Don’t think I’ll ever see my headers back from Tyler so I’m now in the market...

The Status Gruppe ones look solid and they fit for E30 but I haven’t heard good things about their lead times either.

Comment

Awesome! Just have to get the valve cover, oil pan, and accessories on the engine then it’s ready to go in and get plumbed/wired.

I may have missed it, what exhaust manifold are you running? Don’t think I’ll ever see my headers back from Tyler so I’m now in the market...

The Status Gruppe ones look solid and they fit for E30 but I haven’t heard good things about their lead times either.
                  Yea their lead times sucked, although I didn't need them when I ordered them. Still havent heard from Tyler? That sucks!

Comment

I don’t think anyone will be hearing from Tyler for a while... if he comes back sweet, otherwise I’m looking for other options at this point.

Comment

I don’t think anyone will be hearing from Tyler for a while... if he comes back sweet, otherwise I’m looking for other options at this point.
                      Sorry man, its possible from the pictures on his site a good welder can replicate his work.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                        Did some more today. Although I ran into a problem and I am not sure what I did wrong. put the rest of the suspension in, tightened up the control arms and tie rod nuts, and put the rotors and brakes back on. The only issue is the rotor is basically touching the tie rod rubber. This wasnt like that before I put the E46 rack and E36 tie rods on. E30 tie rods dont work, maybe it will shift under load but it doesnt seem like it.

Dont mind the rusted rotors they got wet this winter when they sat out side.

Did you figure out the tie rod interference issue?
                        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                          Did you figure out the tie rod interference issue?
                          Yep it was the brand. Rackdoctor sent a no name brand of tie rods with the new rack that I was sent. They were thicker both in the boot and the actual base then the OE ones.

I bought some OE ones and they fit perfect with no rubbing. I dont think the ones he sent would be a problem if you had OEM brakes, but due to the BBK sitting in a bit closer to the tie rods these wouldnt work.

Comment

Sad update today. Still not started yet since we have not put on the manifold. WIth travel and the holiday it got away from me. The sad part is for all of you that have been waiting, the E90 booster does not work, its just too bit without modifying the manifold quite a bit.

We would have to cut it so much it would pretty much block the 6th horn. So my two choices are go for a turbo manifold, expensive and not really designed for a car that I am not boosting. Or use the 2002 booster I already have, it will fit no problem with that, so I am going with that solution.

The problem is I cant remember which master to get for the 2002 booster. Anyone remember? Hard finding it in the search.

Anyway here are some shots with a few more things done.

Radiator buttoned all up and hose connected. The e46 compressor barely fits, I used a little bit smaller spal fan, I also have a spal aux fan in front of the AC condensor.

[/url]

Coolant lines all done, oil pressure lines, steering and AC lines all done. Really just waiting on swapping the booster now so I can finish the hydraulic lines and brakes.

Fuel pressure regulator in the stockish spot for the S54

She sits pretty perfect now with the engine in.

Oh and a spot of the same E30 at work, I decided to park the E38 next to it today.

Comment

A lot of people have said that the 2002 booster isn’t that great in a swapped car, I think it would be even worse with an s54. Lots of pedal pressure needed to get any brake bite. Just my two cents

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
                                A lot of people have said that the 2002 booster isn’t that great in a swapped car, I think it would be even worse with an s54. Lots of pedal pressure needed to get any brake bite. Just my two cents
                                Maybe I will go 944. It’s slightly bigger right?

Comment

Working...
                                X