Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lira (euro DS mtech II 318is reshelled, 24v swapped, also now BAR'd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also set up a post for the fusebox power wire to mate with the harness power wire, sort of similar to how the e36 does it. Apparently there's actually a post inside the fusebox you can use for this, but that means to take the harness off you gotta pull the box apart. I think this solution is a bit better.

I'm pretty close to firing it up, but my EWS delete chip is stuck in Florida, presumably due to the floods and all. Anyone know if a S50 chip will at least make an M50 idle?
    cars beep boop

Comment

I'm surprised you didn't run a remote brake fluid reservoir, then you won't have any fitment issues with anything.

That tune will make your car run for about 10 minutes until the DME learns the parameters are incorrect for that engine.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Another great build on r3v, looking forward to it being started and driven. Good luck! Sub'd

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks!

Austin, why introduce failure points with a remote res if I can run one that will work normally?

Also I got word from AKG, one of those mounts is indeed not correct.
          cars beep boop

Comment

I have a feeling if you accidentally ground that power stud you'll fry your ecu among other things.

Comment

That's also true of the stock e30 power distribution block, but it's a fair point. Figuring out a cover for it is on my list.
              cars beep boop

Comment

this is exciting :)
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

boom!

also my tach doesn't work...
                  cars beep boop

Comment

I am in Italy right now,and just seen what appeared to be a 320is. Looked a lot like yours!

Sorry to slow with the camera
                    NASA
                    BMWCCA member
                    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                    1997 M3 sedan
                    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

meanwhile, that white mtech 1 car in the background just waits...
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        meanwhile, that white mtech 1 car in the background just waits...
                        I'll get to it..

anyway lots of stuff happened!

I put in a SSSquid chip

I swapped out the early CSB on my driveshaft for a late one

also I ran into an issue with the shifter bracket that came with the dogleg - turns out it is a 320i euro bracket, and I needed a shorter one for running the 260. This is how it sat:

my friend who can TIG was luckily in the shop, so we got to work.

cut

fit up

you can see it's been filed down to fix the 260 lean

weld

done

also I restored a big toolkit, it's probably going into the white car.

this was a fun problem. with AKG mounts, the TPS connector interferes with the iX brake fluid reservoir:

I butchered some dead harnesses we have lying around for male and female 3-pin connectors, and made a low-profile pigtail to add some clearance. fixed!

I also aligned the hood

and mounted the driveshaft

...and ran into a problem with the E36 M3 catback

current thinking is to find some other muffler and somehow work this thing into the equation. It's obnoxious.. I love it.

cars beep boop

Comment

whole bunch of small stuff is done, and I hit a big milestone: the car moved under its own power!

It's full of water, brake fluid, oil, etc, and basically ready to drive to the exhaust shop tomorrow. I'm having the downpipes modified to route around the CAB, new cats welded on and mated to a muffler.

I'm also not getting a tach signal. I have the solid black wire #9 wired from the X20 into C101 #9, which should be the thing that goes to the tach. Will continuity check it when it's back from exhaust.
                          cars beep boop

Comment

I had an idea that you were doing something with the 318iS and the italian car, but this is the first I've seen this thread.

I think you're doing great. Makes me want to get into another e30.
                            world renown Harry Potter expert
                            sigpic

Comment

buttoned up the engine bay

finished up the power steering install, using a modified E30 M42 pressure hose for pump to rack

got a bunch of stuff to install after BAR

pulled the WEITEC springs off the donor.. thinking to run them at least temporarily, maybe permanently.

replaced the gas cap gasket

and.. drove around the corner to the exhaust shop!

Now it's back from exhaust (will grab pics tomorrow), but is running rough and throwing a 1221 code. Hopefully it's not a problem with the long block :(
                              cars beep boop

Comment

I saw this on craigs and thought of your car somewhat. An Mtech2 with an M3 engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X